759 users online (110 members and 649 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,748

    'Wrong' woman given abortion after nurse 'mixed up two patients' first names'

    The wrong woman was given a chemical abortion tablet after a nurse mixed up two patients with the same first name, a misconduct hearing heard today.
    Ann Downer gave the drug to the woman who had only gone into her clinic for an initial consultation.
    She had not decided to have a termination when the nurse gave her the drug.


    More: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nts-names.html

    Tragic.

    a mistake over a FIRST NAME?

    give strength!

    The misconduct panel ruled that Downer did not obtain the woman's consent to give her the abortion drug but she will be allowed to carry on practicing as a nurse with a three-year caution order after it was found to be an 'isolated incident'.

    NO! she should be struck off!

    she expressed regret? oh. ok.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    If the woman was there only for a consultation, why would she take any pill a nurse hands out? If the answer to that is in the article, I wouldn't know because the link won't work for me. (Could be me!)

    ETA: Never mind, got it to work. Still asking my question though.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    If the woman was there only for a consultation, why would she take any pill a nurse hands out? If the answer to that is in the article, I wouldn't know because the link won't work for me. (Could be me!)

    ETA: Never mind, got it to work. Still asking my question though.
    Maybe because she was trusting and uneducated? i don't know.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    Hmm, you might be on to something. Could be why she was pregnant too.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    Hmm, you might be on to something. Could be why she was pregnant too.
    IMO yes. probably.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,306
    Umm, shouldn't she be charged with murder??
    Not to get into the abortion debate but if this woman was pregnant and the nurse killed the fetus....seems like some jail time is in order.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    6,293
    Seems like a rather serious mistake to me. Oops? Gave the wrong patient the meds? She's lucky the patient didn't die, and only the fetus did.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    Do nurses that give the wrong med in other cases (like heparin to those babies) get criminally charged? I say it should all be the same, but this happened in the UK and I have no idea what their laws are.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Lone Star State
    Posts
    6,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Taximom View Post
    Do nurses that give the wrong med in other cases (like heparin to those babies) get criminally charged? I say it should all be the same, but this happened in the UK and I have no idea what their laws are.
    They can lose their licences if it's proven they were criminally negligent, in the U.S.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    16,234
    Thanks, Texana.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Iliinois
    Posts
    1,973
    I have heard of nurses being jailed too for wrong doing and a hefty fine.

    But I also agree why would a patient take a med if they were only there for consult? Don't make sense?

    "She's Going Places," A Tribute Song For Caylee Anthony
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLudQC0MBJU

    https://youtu.be/oUR86bnKLaI
    White Lion - When The Children Cry

    https://youtu.be/nLh5vbBLpxI
    Jason Michael Carroll's 'Alyssa Lies' **** Please help stop domestic violence****

    https://youtu.be/KtNYA4pAGjI
    Martina McBride's official music video for 'Concrete Angel'
    **** Madison Matters = miss you angel baby Love you so much!!!*******



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    561
    Quote Originally Posted by pixies View Post
    Umm, shouldn't she be charged with murder??
    Not to get into the abortion debate but if this woman was pregnant and the nurse killed the fetus....seems like some jail time is in order.
    I agree. The woman was distraught when she realised what happened. She already loved and had bonded with her unborn baby. This would have been devastating.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    797
    This nurse will be allowed to continue to work in her field?

    At the very least a suspension for a few months would have been in order. IMO

    Are there no consequences for wrongdoing anymore?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    7,376
    Quote Originally Posted by mkay882 View Post
    This nurse will be allowed to continue to work in her field?

    At the very least a suspension for a few months would have been in order. IMO

    Are there no consequences for wrongdoing anymore?
    Um, no. Aren't you paying attention here?

    That's why we're all so pissed off!

    Seriously, though, ITA with you. This woman is a danger to others. She should not be allowed to practice medicine, if only temporarily so she can realize the gravity of her "mistake."

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,766
    I have to say I don't think that would happen in the US.
    I know we've had cases here where drs removed the wrong limb, etc.
    But imo it would be hard to confuse abortion with another procedure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-06-2016, 05:18 PM
  2. GUILTY NJ - Charles Cullen for killing dozens of patients in NJ & PA, Somerset, 2003
    By Doyle in forum Recently Sentenced and Beyond
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-27-2015, 05:26 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-26-2015, 07:09 PM
  4. Pregnant woman given abortion pill by mistake
    By belimom in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-28-2011, 12:33 PM