Nancy, the runner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepper

Former Member
Reaction score
I am NOT a runner or a jogger. Far from it! So I have a couple of questions from you runners/joggers out there.

It has been reported that Nancy was training for a half marathon. If that is true, then

1. Wouldn't she have mapped out and measured a specific jogging route, so she would know exactly how far she had run?

2. Wouldn't she have carried a stop watch so she could keep track of her time over a pre-measured route?

3. Wouldn't she have avoided a route that included a dead-end street?

I'm not training for a triathon but for my first 5k. I do map out where I go before hand. I don't carry a stopwatch because I can use my ipod for that and I like to take routes without dead ends or obvious places where people can jump out at me. If I go alone at night I stay to places that are well lit and have plenty of people around.

Nancy sounds like she's been at this longer then I and would being using simlar strategies.

Thank you angiej. By "stopwatch" I meant any impliment that could be used for measuring her time over a specific course.

I'm trying to get that she wouldn't have left the house to jog or run without something that would keep her time, right? Brad says she ALWAYS went jogging without her cell or ipod or ID or anything.

I couldn't do by training without my ipod. It helps me keep time. It's hard to measure how you're doing with some unit of measure, be it time or distance. She could have been doing distance training and not working on speed but that doesn't seem likely. Most runners I know use an MP3 player to help them keep rhythm while running. Helps keep you breathing properly. And keep your mind engaged too.

_edit_

Wanted to add a note that I never bring anythign but my ipod and keys with me when I go running. Certainly not a wallet or id. I don't have a cellphone but I might bring one if I had one.

I think some cellphones can be used as timing devices, but I'm not sure about that.

So my point is: First, Nancy was a runner in training for an event. She wasn't just jogging for exercise. Therefore one would expect that she would carry some form of timing device or measuring device, or both, or have a predetermined and premeasured route, which would not take her down dead-end streets, because she would have to slow, stop and turn around and that would upset her goal of besting her time.

Brad says she left the house without any of these items. I find that unlikely.

I agree She would have at least brought some sort of device to measure her progress on the run like stopwatch, cellphone, or MP3 player and maybe keys. (My keys double as a self defense weapon, mom taught me to stick them between my knuckles so that if someone attacks me I can punch and hurt them with the keys.)

So yes she might have been traveling light but runners don't travel THAT light!

As someone who has been running competitively for 20 years, I can say with certainty that NC would have mapped out her route, knew how many miles she needed to run that day in her preparation for the half, and would have worn a running watch to keep track of her running time and with some watches, her distance. Most runners do their "long runs" on Saturday or Sunday.
Since NC was training for an upcoming half, most likely she would have planned out her long run for Saturday or Sunday. But since she was training with a friend for this particular event, I don't think that she would have headed out on her own on Saturday morning. Plus, she always drove to a coffee shop, parked, and started her runs from there.BC said that she left the house for a jog. That was out of character for her.
I drive to a local park, park my vehicle , and carry my keys, drivers license , and cell phone in a special waist belt designed for runners. This park's trail goes back into a wooded area. If it is early, and there are not many runners there yet, I WILL NOT GO INTO THE BACK AREA. I feel certain that NC would not have ventured onto that dead end street by herself. I think that women runners tend to be more cautious then men runners. My husband is a runner as well and we often talk about how he can go at any time to the park to run and not have to be as concerned as I would be. Also, he can run in our neighborhood but I never do, as I do not want anyone evil to see me and become familiar with my pattern and maybe follow me home one day.
Also, I carry my cell phone as a way for my family to reach me in the case of an emergency at home.
I get up early to run before my husband leaves for work. There is no way that he could tell you EXACTLY what I wore when I left the house.
He and the kids are usually still sleeping when I leave the house.
I find it hard to believe that BC knew all those details of NC running attire for that morning.
One last thing, if I did not return home in a reasonable amount of time after a run, my husband would either try to contact me, or come looking for me.
BC did neither.
Hope all this helps in some way.

Thank you angie & runnermom! I'm sure the investigators have thought of these points, but just in case they didn't and they are reading here, it doesn't hurt to shine the light! :clap::clap::clap:

You are welcome, Pepper!

AND P.S. to Angie:

Good going on training for your first 5K!
HAVE FUN AND HAPPY RUNNING!

I think some cellphones can be used as timing devices, but I'm not sure about that.

So my point is: First, Nancy was a runner in training for an event. She wasn't just jogging for exercise. Therefore one would expect that she would carry some form of timing device or measuring device, or both, or have a predetermined and premeasured route, which would not take her down dead-end streets, because she would have to slow, stop and turn around and that would upset her goal of besting her time.

Brad says she left the house without any of these items. I find that unlikely.

NC's twin sister, Khrista, mentioned that Nancy had recently been "teaching" her to run with a stop watch. If she was instructing her sister this way, you can probably assume she used a watch as well. I am a runner that never leaves home without 2 things: my stop watch and my Ipod. Judging from where the body was found, I can't see NC ever having run in that particular area, but I wouldn't be totally suprised if BC had discovered that area on a run. He would have only been on the busier Holly Springs Road for a short distance, and he might have wanted to "mix up" the scenery if he runs for long distances.

In case you are wondering about my edit on the first post, I changed the title of the thread to Nancy, the runner because it seems like there is a distinct difference between a runner and a jogger, and she seems to fit more in the runner category.

Thanks to all you experts for your valuable input.

bumped~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

post_old.gif
07-16-2008, 12:39 PM
stillblv
user_offline.gif

Fox News Telephone Interview with Brad Cooper
I just listened to a phone interview that Fox News did with Brad Cooper on Monday. He sounded very distraught and said that she would never leave. Also - he said when she ran she was sometimes gone 1 to 2 hours and she took NOTHING with her on her runs. No phone, no water, nothing.

bumped~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

post_old.gif
07-16-2008, 12:39 PM
stillblv
user_offline.gif

Fox News Telephone Interview with Brad Cooper
I just listened to a phone interview that Fox News did with Brad Cooper on Monday. He sounded very distraught and said that she would never leave. Also - he said when she ran she was sometimes gone 1 to 2 hours and she took NOTHING with her on her runs. No phone, no water, nothing.

Well glory be, she is the only runner in training who takes no watch or other timing device, no keys, no cell phone. He's lying.

Well glory be, she is the only runner in training who takes no watch or other timing device, no keys, no cell phone. He's lying.

My sister does it. (Mentioned this earlier, because it doesn't sound odd to me).
She goes running for anything from 40 minutes to about an hour and a half and takes nothing with her.
My brother, too, they both train for runs and half-marathons.

hey moon,
I have been a distance runner off and on for the last 13 years. I never take water, powerbars, goo, cellphone, wallet, or my big~scary~black~beauceron http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/beauceron.htm (but trust me...my doggie, mister b...is a sweet soul and a gem..lol)

I DO however, wear a watch and consult it as I run for time...not distance while preparing for the longer races (ten~milers and half~marathons) but I am not into beating others but rather just meeting my own personal goals of completing a course race. If Nancy were competitive in this she would have been very concerned on her splits and monitored them. IMHOO

My wife does triathlons and when she does the full distance, she takes her stopwatch with her, but if she's just going on her daily run or with friends, she usually doesn't take the watch and she never takes water, a phone or any kind of music.

Ok, so it's not as uncommon as some people think, then, Magister :)

Yes, Nurse, I'd imagine a watch might come into it.

Gorgeous doggie, NurseBee! :yes:

Ok, so it's not as uncommon as some people think, then, Magister :)

Yeah - If you wear earbuds, then you could get hit by a car and where would you keep water or a cellphone in lycra shorts?

BTW: I thought about mentioning this earlier in another thread, but I wasn't sure that it was appropriate because it didn't pertain directly to the question at hand, while I think that it may actually be germane to this topic.

I just posted a link to a map of the areas which were searched, back when this was still a missing persons case to the "Map" subforum because SS had requested it.

An interesting note is that among the areas searched was the wooded area which runs alongside the power line/gas line right-of-way connecting Regency Park to her friend's house, the one where she was supposed to paint. The last that I'm aware, there isn't any type of greenway through those woods and if there were going to be one in that area, you'd think that it'd just follow the well-maintained service road running under the transmission line.

Because this area was marked "searched" by her friend's husband, then one might assume that Nancy occasionally ran to her friend's house, which might prove that she didn't always follow a prescribed route and that she may not have been reluctant to run down a single-track dirt path which connected neighborhoods, but wasn't populated the entire length.

I don't know, but I noticed the anomaly when I first saw the map, before I was connecting names and felt it worth mentioning.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...,-78.76545&spn=0.133751,0.102567&source=embed
---

Note: Someone posted her friend's address and then they were admonished. It may seem a little disingenuous for me to refer to their address because I was among those that questioned whether it was necessary.

Still, it does seem relevant to this discussion, so I'll make the generality that her friends live near the intersection of Ten-Ten and US 1.

BTW: I thought about mentioning this earlier in another thread, but I wasn't sure that it was appropriate, while I think that it may be more germane to this topic.

I just posted a link to a map of the areas which were searched, back when this was still a missing persons case to the "Map" subforum because SS had requested it.

An interesting note is that among the areas searched was the wooded area which runs alongside the power line/gas line right-of-way connecting Regency Park to her friend's house, the one where she was supposed to paint. The last that I'm aware, there isn't any type of greenway through those woods and if there were going to be one in that area, you'd think that it'd just follow the well-maintained service road running under the transmission line.

Because this area was marked "searched" by her friend's husband, then one might assume that Nancy occasionally ran to her friend's house, which might prove that she didn't always follow a prescribed route and that she may not have been reluctant to run down a single-track dirt path which connected neighborhoods, but wasn't populated the entire length.

I don't know, but I noticed it when I first saw the map, before I was connecting names and I felt it worth mentioning.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2398007&postcount=4

Good observation, Magister!

I was just typing a reply to your comment about lycra shorts and cellphones when your new post came up.

I was going to say that it is funny hearing posters call them earbuds, because where I am from, earbuds are those little cotton tipped sticks that we clean our ears out with. ;)

I noticed this in the interim, have you guys seen this?
It's not about Nancy. It's about WS.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67679

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members