The Death of an Iraqi War Veteran

Thankyou for posting this. You are right its very important and truly made me cry. I have no words to describe how I feel right now after reading that.
I dont know why but I feel the need to post this verse.

Thankyou for posting this. You are right its very important and truly made me cry. I have no words to describe how I feel right now after reading that.
I dont know why but I feel the need to post this verse.

Oh MY-your post gave me chills. Thank you very much for sharing the verse!!

Your Welcome believe:) I truly think we should always support all those men and women who do what they do and that support should continue when they come home.

my 21 year old son came back from his 2nd tour...he is going thru similar thngs, he has no motivation, hes very angry, he is constantly looking for fights, drinking to forget about things etc.
as for help from the army:
Quote: Besides, he'd been conditioned to see it as a sign of weakness.
"I'm a soldier," he said. "I suck it up. That's our job." :quote
Ive heard this from my son as well!
I hope my sons story doesnt end like this young mans :(

wildTrose......I dont know what to say after reading what you wrote but God Bless you and your Son. I hope so much that he will be ok. He is the same age as my own son and I cant even imagine.......
I'm so sorry you and he are going through this.
The Army needs to look after them when they get home, they deserve any and all of the best help available.

my 21 year old son came back from his 2nd tour...he is going thru similar thngs, he has no motivation, hes very angry, he is constantly looking for fights, drinking to forget about things etc.
as for help from the army:
Quote: Besides, he'd been conditioned to see it as a sign of weakness.
"I'm a soldier," he said. "I suck it up. That's our job." :quote
Ive heard this from my son as well!
I hope my sons story doesnt end like this young mans :(

WildTrose, whatever you/he needs, you let us know. I have spoken with combat vets from WWII to present day, and he is NOT alone. It is a healthy mind that rejects the sites and sounds of of combat and puts it away for later when the soldier is home and safe.

PTSD is, imo, the bodies response to one,two or ten tours of living in a fight or flight situation. Cortisol levels are significantly elevated, serotonin and other brain chemicals that are not useful are suppressed-it is unrealistic to believe that once the stress of combat is over the body will just right itself. And if it is given the chance to do so, then these soldiers will recover and be able to find a way to operate in a non-combat situation.

The army has found, in current studies, that returning soldiers are aided by (of all things...) yoga. The measured, deliberate breathing as well as the stretching of the muscles allows the soldier to regain their brain chemical equilibrium...usually aided by some kind of medication....Your son is a credit to the USA-grateful citizens like myself desperately want to make sure that their re-integration into their lives goes as peacefully as possible. They deserve it so much.

Tell him for me he did his part-now it is up to the rest of us to take care of him.

Tell him for me he did his part-now it is up to the rest of us to take care of him.

You said it so much better than I did believe but I truly believe and agree with what you said. Thankyou:blowkiss:

The army has found, in current studies, that returning soldiers are aided by (of all things...) yoga. The measured, deliberate breathing as well as the stretching of the muscles allows the soldier to regain their brain chemical equilibrium...usually aided by some kind of medication....

That is really interesting! My father has had PTSD since he was a POW in the Korean War. In the last ten years, he has found more peace in yoga than anything else has ever brought him.

He started it on suggestion from a physical therapist after he was in a minor car accident and had some strained muscles. Then he kept going because he found it so helpful on so many levels.

My mother says that he no longer wakes up screaming with the nightmares... which he had done during their entire marriage. After so many years, I doubt my father will ever be completely recovered but I would think that someone who had not suffered over 50 years of PTSD would get even more from it.

My love and thoughts go out to each and every mother, farther, sister, or brother who has had someone who they love taken from them. Being a mum myself i feel for each and every one of you. May GOD keep you in his thoughts and prayers.

That is really interesting! My father has had PTSD since he was a POW in the Korean War. In the last ten years, he has found more peace in yoga than anything else has ever brought him.

He started it on suggestion from a physical therapist after he was in a minor car accident and had some strained muscles. Then he kept going because he found it so helpful on so many levels.

My mother says that he no longer wakes up screaming with the nightmares... which he had done during their entire marriage. After so many years, I doubt my father will ever be completely recovered but I would think that someone who had not suffered over 50 years of PTSD would get even more from it.

My great appreciation for your father-I am so very glad that he has found something that quiets those nightmares...perhaps, he can encourage other vets to take it up-I am so very serious...if someone like your dad were teaching a class at a base or a VA hospital, I would think he would have greater success at getting the vets to attend...am I making sense?

To me it makes complete sense-you become so conscious of your mind, body, spirit connection...you learn how to be still and how to control your breathing. Consider a panic attack-your heart skips a beat, your breathing shallows, CO2 builds up in your bloodstream altering your consciousness, your heart beats faster, etc...cortisol kicks in and you are "off to the races." Yoga techniques can stop this because you learn to calm yourself.

thank you ciara and Believe 09, he is "supposed" to go to a mental health evaluation today but he has already cancelled once so I think he knows he needs the help but is more afraid of the being labeled weak by his unit.
He told me once when he was in Iraq that when a soldier has "problems" they take his gun away and thats the most embarrassing thing you can do to a soldier over there because then everyone knows your weak! and they let you know it!
He was all set to leave the military last week, even had his papers (and a job lined up) and for whatever reason the army cancelled them now he doesnt get to leave until February, this has set him back a good deal, alot of his buddies that have been his glue thats held him together have gotten to leave.
So I think if he can hold on until Feb when he will come here (he is in ft. Riley KA) then I can pursuade him to get some help if he does another no show today, and even if he goes today Im not sure he will be honest in his answers.
The Yoga I will suggest but I doubt he will do it at this time if its not drinking and beating people up, hes not interested....he even has a 1 1/2 yr old son (he was 2 months old when he left) he hasnt even bothered with much since hes been back :(
My son is only one of thousands that need help, I wish the military would wake up and do mandetory extensive counseling once they come back and especially before they leave the military. right now they do this onlne questionaire! they all know how to answer correctly so they pass.....and ticking time bombs are set!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back