The baby born to save her sister

fran

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The baby born to save her sister says she has no regrets

Anissa and Marissa Ayala were on the cover of Time magazine 17 years ago. Now, the sisters share their story.

Many people do — 17 years after the two were thrust into the national spotlight.

Destined to die young without a bone-marrow transplant, a smiling Anissa Ayala appeared on the cover of Time magazine in 1991 — her toddler sister, Marissa, perched on her shoulders.

The sister who saved Anissa's life.

The story of their parents' decision to conceive Marissa in the hopes that she would be a matching donor for Anissa, who had leukemia, became an international sensation, sparking debate about the morality and ethics of their choice.

.......................snip......................

AN OFFER

The Ayala family's story help jump-start the national marrow-donation movement.

At the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Anissa is business development director of the organization's local chapter.

She and Marissa get together often to bowl, hit favorite restaurants and catch movies.

Of course, they also talk about guys.

Anissa Ayala has a fiancé, Robert, who has three children, ages 16, 13 and 11, from a previous relationship. Anissa says she pretty much has decided against having her own kids.

Intense radiation treatment has made it so she can't have a child — unless somebody donates the eggs.

Anissa turns to her sister.

Wait! Could it happen… again?

"I would totally do that," Marissa tells her.

"You would, baby?"

The two sisters share a long, knowing look, and then giggle.

<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/marissa-anissa-ayala-2100465-marrow-story

This was a local story for us 17 years ago. What I thought was so sweet, is the portion I bolded in the last part of what I copied. THAT brought a smile and a little tear to my eye!

Sisters and best friends!

:)
fran

Ya know, it's weird. I have wondered about these girls for years. Thank you so much for sharing the update! :)

Oh my gosh I have been thinking about them lately too..I googled them the other day but couldn't remember their names so I couldn't find anything. (I was looking for the movie I saw about them) I'm so glad to hear they are both doing well..

What a nice story. Thanks for sharing! I'm happy to hear that they are both doing so well.

I especially like the part where the younger ones says,

"I would totally do that!"

Is that not so California girl and sweet! :D

I love it,
fran

Wow! It doesn't seem like it was that many years ago. What a heartwarming story. I'm so glad the girls are both happy and doing so well.

Wow! It doesn't seem like it was that many years ago. What a heartwarming story. I'm so glad the girls are both happy and doing so well.

That's what I was thinking! Where does the time go? I am glad they have a close relationship, the parents must be great supportive people.

Graybar

I remember the story like it was yesterday. Makes me feel old that they are both old enough to have chldren of their own now. God bless them both, and their mother for enduring the firestorm of controversy she did at the time.

Maria

I remember hearing about these sisters when I was younger. I'm glad they have such a close bond and that the older sister survived the leukemia.

What an uplifting story. I remember the original story and to think that little angel is still such a wonderful and loving sister. Thanks for sharing that.

It is a heartwarming story. And both of the girls must have had supportive parents and caring people around them. They have amazing attitudes.

I recently read some fiction by Jodi Picoult, I can't remember the name of the book. But she did a good job of discussing some of the issues surrounding this type of story.

But the book did have a shocking ending. Very much worth the read.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back