GUILTY WI - Lauren Aljubouri, 18, strangled to death, Milwaukee, 19 July 2008

White Rain

Reaction score
MILWAUKEE — A Milwaukee teenager is accused of strangling his girlfriend after the two watched a movie about a murder spree.
Eric Tavulares, 18, is charged with first-degree reckless homicide in the death of 18-year-old Lauren Aljubouri. He faces up to 60 years in prison if convicted.
According to a criminal complaint filed Monday, Tavulares told police he had seen Oliver Stone's "Natural Born Killers" 10 or 20 times and had been watching it Friday night.
Tavulares said he knew Aljubouri, an Arrowhead High School graduate, since second grade and the pair had been dating on and off for years.
They lived together near the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee campus and planned to go to college in the fall. When Aljubouri got home Friday night, they began watching the 1994 film about a murder spree of two lovers that becomes a media obsession.
more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,388402,00.html

Wow thats scary. I never watched that movie all the way through. I only ever saw clips as I didnt want to see it. He obviously had a disturbed mind that the movie just fed into, to watch it that many times. Crazy!

I hope they do some drug testing on this guy.

Hey guys,

Is it just me or does it seem like Wisconsin has had a lot of homicides lately? I know in the last several years there have been some high profile cases but I feel like every time I come here there's another one!

My mom worked at the Dane County DA's office in crime response and responded to each homicide/rape/bank robbery and all other sensitive crimes but couldn't do it anymore when things just seemed nonstop. I don't remember what year this was but I know the last case she worked was the triple homicide in Verona.

Sorry to go off topic, I've been wanting to post this for some time now! I've never seen this movie before but I would think this guy had some issues already as others have mentioned.

I think the whole world has gone murder mad!
Over here its just crazy too.

I don't blame the movie. This kid was psycho from the get-go. I've already been writing about this for... something other than my usual blog. Here's an old MySpace of Eric's -- yes, the age is obviously a lie:

http://www.myspace.com/9762402

With evil comes stupidity and this guy is a loop. You're right, Steve. So, what this is the only movie he's ever seen? Like if he watched "Dog Day Afternoon" he'd rob a bank?

It's so very sad. Young girl. Nutter friend.

BTW, that movie stinks. JMO.

O.K. my Spidey Senses were tingling here. I may be wrong, but I don't believe so.

I believe this murderer changed his last name, but not legally. His mom is a conservative, and very religious woman who lists her two children as her heroes. They overcame alot of diversity and didn't have it easy. So, that perhaps is why the kid claims " he can do anything better than Jesus". I wouldn't post his mom's Myspace, but seems they are the founders of a group.

The group being Rock Against Domestic Abuse. I'll post a link to that sight and right on the page is Eric. So, it seems that somewhere, sometime this family had alot of domestic abuse going on. In no way does that excuse this guy for murdering this poor, poor girl. I just found it interesting they are blaming a movie.

Thats very interesting Filly. This guy is obviously one disturbed individual.

Thats very interesting Filly. This guy is obviously one disturbed individual.

Hi C, well my Spidey senses were only half right. I believe that is his mom, but he has no part in the helping with the domestic abuse fundraisers. Looks like it's his cousin's hubby.

It's so very sad. Such a young girl. Probably trusted him as she knew him for so long. Really sad. May she rest in peace.

I like that expression "Spidey senses":)

But yes, poor woman is someone's daughter. Very sad:(

From January 2009:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/38706642.html

Tavulares, 19, had told police he wasn't sure why he strangled Lauren, and pleaded guilty in November to second-degree reckless homicide... Tavulares dismissed earlier reports that he was driven to the crime by the movie "Natural Born Killers"...

In a rambling statement, Tavulares talked about the drug and alcohol problems he had endured but took full responsibility for the crime. "I need to be punished," he said. "I believe this is best for me... I recommend the maximum sentence"...

So Conen granted Tavulares' request and sentenced him to a minimum of 40 years in prison, followed by 20 years of supervision.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back