The Picture that Shames Italy...

That's very disturbing. I had no idea there was even such as thing as Roma. May the girls RIP. So sad that everyone just can't get along. :(

We have had an influx of Roma over here. Some have moved in at the bottom of my street. I must admit they are very messy with vans and rubbish and a zillion kids running all over the place.
We had a report in one of our papers several weeks ago about a Roma wedding that had taken place in a pub where the bride and groom were only 13 or 14 years old. In that case, the neighbours were also complaining that the Roma were dumping rubbish, abusing them and basically being a social nuisance.
I think it explains to some degree why people feel towards them the way they do. Not sure what the solution is though.

We have had an influx of Roma over here. Some have moved in at the bottom of my street. I must admit they are very messy with vans and rubbish and a zillion kids running all over the place.
We had a report in one of our papers several weeks ago about a Roma wedding that had taken place in a pub where the bride and groom were only 13 or 14 years old. In that case, the neighbours were also complaining that the Roma were dumping rubbish, abusing them and basically being a social nuisance.
I think it explains to some degree why people feel towards them the way they do. Not sure what the solution is though.

Are they like gypsies?

I was reading about this yesterday and it made me sick..heartless so and so,s.

I just read this and I was so shocked :( We have had our share of Irish travelers in the states and many look down on all of them when not everyone is a scam artist. Regardless of the parents actions how can people be so nonchalant to someone, especially children, drowning right in front of them.

Here's another article on it-
http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=news/national_world&id=6279053

~It even went as far as to query the sequence of Saturday's events, suggesting that the girls where the victims of foul play.
"There is something strange about the fact that four young girls who are non-swimmers would throw themselves fully-clothed into a rough sea (which can't have been that rough seeing there were many other people, including several children, in the water at the same time). There is something strange about the fact that four young girls would dive into the waves in front of dozens of people, forgetting all about their traditional modesty."~

I know a lot about irish travellers as I grew up along side them and my nephew is half traveller. Oh the stories I could tell:)

We have had quite a few Roma entering the UK lately though and they stand out a mile when you see them. There have been quite a few clashes between them and the "natives" so to speak:)

My great grandmother was Roma-she hid it from people and refused to discuss her family at all. We only really discovered it when my uncle started tracing our family history....

That is exactly why people are fed up with them. It's not an excuse for them to not show respect for the dead but it explains why they are so fed up with them.

Also, Naples is not in great shape right now anyway. My uncle just returned from there - he goes to Italy every summer, so it's not just culture shock - and was appalled at the situation in Naples. He said the garbage is piled so high and everything the government touches is a disaster.

So sad since our family roots are Calabrese. I have always hoped to visit with my kids, but not until/unless they clean up their act.

What are Irish travellers? I'm of Irish decent and I've never heard of them.

I can understand how people feel about the Roma or anyone coming into their country or neighborhood and not respecting their neighbors and property, but these were children. Their lives are just as precious as any other child.

Every time I look at that picture I wish I could walk up to those two people sitting there, like nothing has happened, and give them both a good smack on the face.

Is it possible that people didnt realize these girls were deceased? I mean if you are going to the beach and all you see as a couple of people covered up with their feet sticking out are you going to think they are dead or just trying to avoid a sunburn?
Call me stupid here but if i went to the beach and didnt see anything making me think they were dead (crime scene tape, police etc)I really would just think they were sleeping with the blanket or towel over them
I see that at the beach here....maybe I need to start poking people to make sure

wildTrose, you have a good point. I was thinking that even if I knew they were dead, I might hang around to see just how long it took the police to do anything about it.

Gosh, there are just no words. Regardless of how much Roma's may be disliked they are still human beings. Where is the compassion?

Gosh, there are just no words. Regardless of how much Roma's may be disliked they are still human beings. Where is the compassion?

Unfortuantely, I see no empathy in that picture, only apathy. How sad is that?

ETA: I found this to be very interesting explaining Roma's.

http://www.romani.org/

Also, you can goole Roma images and get more insight as to what they look like.

Why in the heck were the bodies not removed immediately by the authorities?? It says they took the injured girls and left the dead? They should have been driven to the hospital or morgue by the police or ambulance. Everyone is mad at the beachgoers, I'm mad at the authorities for abandoning their bodies like that.

Exactly. Why were the bodies left on the beach in the first place?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahlm8627
Back