Sects center of federal investigation

Blue_Dolphin308

We can't help everyone, But everyone can help some
Reaction score
"
WASHINGTON - The Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints will be the subject of a Senate Judiciary Committee July 24 probe, possibly looking into organized crime and other federal crimes among polygamous sects.
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, who has long sought more federal involvement in investigating polygamous sects, will testify at the hearing and will also introduce a bill next week to create a federal task force.
"His ultimate goal is to step up enforcement of the crimes that are committed in these polygamous sects," said Jon Summers, spokesman for the Democratic senator from Nevada."

http://gosanangelo.com/news/2008/jul/16/sects-center-of-federal-investigation/

This should be very interesting.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/homepa..._news_072408_poly-task-force-he.8aeae505.html
3TV ‘s Mike Watkiss reports there was plenty of damning testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee involving allegations of wrongdoing within the FLDS sect and against polygamous leader Warren Jeffs.

These allegations were vigorously denied by and FLDS spokesperson today by a man by the name Willy Jessop, who called the allegations nothing more than a witch hunt. He said that before a throng of reporters outside the hearing room. A rather heated and bizarre exchange took place once 3TV’s Mike Watkiss began asking some tough questions.

http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2008/jul/24/polygamist/
FLDS spokesman Willie Jessop, sect lawyer Jim Bradshaw of Salt Lake City and two sect couples had their say after the hearing. "This is genocide," Willie Jessop said. He considered Thursday's proceedings to be one-sided and a chance for some lawmakers to try to drive home that the FLDS and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints are two different entities, he said.

Sect members asked to testify at the hearing, but lawmakers ignored their requests, Bradshaw said. Willie Jessop responded quickly to a question for one of the FLDS husbands about how many wives he had. He told a reporter he'd get the answer to that if the reporter would reveal how many people he's slept with. FLDS member Miryam Holm asked why the number of wives was relevant. "You know our religion, and we're not ashamed of it," Holm said.

http://www.azfamily.com/news/homepa..._news_072408_poly-task-force-he.8aeae505.html
3TV ‘s Mike Watkiss reports there was plenty of damning testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee involving allegations of wrongdoing within the FLDS sect and against polygamous leader Warren Jeffs.

These allegations were vigorously denied by and FLDS spokesperson today by a man by the name Willy Jessop, who called the allegations nothing more than a witch hunt. He said that before a throng of reporters outside the hearing room. A rather heated and bizarre exchange took place once 3TV’s Mike Watkiss began asking some tough questions.

Thanks for that link Molly. You could tell Willy did not like those questions and in some of them he was not quite sure what to say. I just dont like that man, I have a feeling that many of the other FLDS will say anything he tells them too. Kudos to that reporter Mike Watkiss for asking what he did.

The FLDS seems to continue to steadfastly refuse to acknowledge ANY wrongdoing on their part while visciously attacking anyone they perceive as their enemy. What happened to getting the 'motes' out of one's eyes first? One ex-member after another says that the FLDS leadership will accuse their opponents of lying while they, themselves lie through their teeth. I'm believing the ex's 'cuz I am seeing it and reading it from one FLDS spokes person after another.

Seriously, has anybody heard them say anything like, 'Warren make some mistakes. Maybe he shouldn't have married 12 year olds. Maybe we shouldn't have let him. Maybe we shouldn't have kept him on as prophet in the face of accusations that he sodimized his nephew?' No, instead according to many in the FLDS, every one who says anything they consider in any way negative about them is lying and probably a drug and or alcohol abusing ho to boot. They appear to want to assert that only they always tell the truth. BALHOOEY! Many of these spokespeople seem to lie like rugs. They do a pretty good job of giving proof the the accusations of ex-members that lying is acceptable to protect the FLDS culture.

Thanks for the link. I completely understand why Teressa Jeff's lawyer wanted a restraining order against that man!

I have to agree and think that Teresa's lawyer really did want to protect her.
I think Willy Jessop is dangerous and a liar and will say whatever it takes to protect his little kingdom.

I think he needs to be kept away from anyone that testifies as he is going to influence what they say. He is defensive and rude and calls everyone liars except the FLDS and you are right, they would have SOME credibility if they at least admitted some degree of wrongdoing.

I really really dont like him and I can imagine what he would be like with any of the FLDS who disagreed or who went against him.

I just realised I keep calling him Willy Jessop instead of Willie Jessop:rolleyes:
I think its because Willy is the more common spelling in the uk...so apologies:crazy:

You're welcome. I would love to know more about that conversation betweenWatkiss and Jessop!!

Yes Molly I would have liked to have seen more of the interview and more about what happened before between them. Willie most certainly did not like the fact that Watkiss brought particular things up and he had no reasonable answers for them either.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/07/24/polygamy.hearing/?iref=hpmostpop

The FLDS, an offshoot of the mainstream Mormon church, maintains that it is innocent of any crimes and that the sect is being persecuted because of its religious beliefs. However, Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pennsylvania, said, "First Amendment rights do not extend to domestic violence, child abuse [and] statutory rape."

The FLDS routinely moves from state to state when they feel pressure from law enforcement, Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott said. He and others listed ways that federal assistance would be welcomed, investigating FLDS businesses that may be beyond the scope of local or state authorities, for instance. What has taken a century to build will not change overnight," Arizona Attorney General Terry Goddard said.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_9992331

And then it was Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch's turn to speak at the first polygamy hearing Congress has held in 50 years. Hatch's opening statement lasted all of 40 seconds. He never uttered the word polygamy, didn't denounce polygamous sects, didn't call for federal charges, as did the other senators present. Instead, Hatch, a Mormon, said the hearing should focus on helping the "innocent women and children who are involved in this issue." Hatch was the only senator to attend Thursday's hearing who didn't express an opinion on Reid's bill or even the idea of a federal task force, which Reid first broached at the end of April. His spokesman, Mark Eddington, said Hatch is not up to speed on the issue. "Senator Hatch hasn't seen it yet, but is looking forward to reading it," he said about Reid's legislation.

But his primary goal wasn't to discuss policy, but perception. Twice he asked witnesses to clarify the distinction between the mainstream LDS Church and the FLDS sect, before a packed committee room that included a dozen cameras. He blamed the media for confusing the two.

Yes Molly I would have liked to have seen more of the interview and more about what happened before between them. Willie most certainly did not like the fact that Watkiss brought particular things up and he had no reasonable answers for them either.
I found it!
Now you can see it. :)

Video of Willie Jessop sparring with Watkiss before the FLDS attorney refuses to answer any questions by Mike Watkiss.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/popup/?rn=3906861&cl=8970100&ch=4226713&src=news

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back