MS - Tony Evans, 3, mauled to death by pit bull, Jackson, 23 July 2008

I am sick of people defending these animals. SICK OF IT.
They are dangerous, not because someone made them dangerous but because of their BREED.

Sadly it seems these dogs attract a certain kind of owner. Dog fighters, drug addicts or someone with something to prove. Someone who wants to look "bad and dangerous". They seem to attract those who should not ever have a pet let alone one who is aggressive.

(Ok, before someone goes insane thinking I am bashing them) NO, not all pit owners are like that but a majority are.

They are dangerous, not because someone made them dangerous but because of their BREED.

Sadly it seems these dogs attract a certain kind of owner. Dog fighters, drug addicts or someone with something to prove. Someone who wants to look "bad and dangerous". They seem to attract those who should not ever have a pet let alone one who is aggressive.

(Ok, before someone goes insane thinking I am bashing them) NO, not all pit owners are like that but a majority are.

Pit bulls are no more dangerous than any large dog. Period.

They are bred to FIGHT OTHER DOGS not attack people and even dog fighters put down dogs that are human aggressive, so in fact what they 'bred' for makes them less likely to attack a human than a german shephard or a rottweiller.

I am tired of uninformed people jumping to conclusions based on media hype who appear to know nothing of the history of pit bulls and nothing of dog breeding and nothing of statistics about dog bites.

Pit bulls are involved in a lot of attacks becase they are large, aggressive dogs that are owned by many idiots who are probably not capable of owning a toy poodle let alone a powerful dog that needs training and exercise, so when you combine a large dog with a stupid owner you are inevitably going to get problems.

AMEN TO THAT!!!!:mad:

Pit bulls are no more dangerous than any large dog. Period.

I am tired of uninformed people jumping to conclusions based on media hype who appear to know nothing of the history of pit bulls and nothing of dog breeding and nothing of statistics about dog bites.

And I am sick of hearing about children being mauled to death by pit bulls. I am sick of hearing owners making excuses for their dogs instead of taking responsibilty for them.

If your pit bull attacks someone, you should be charged with murder. PERIOD. The pet owner should be held responsible.

Pixies, then how do you explain the results in Denmark? The Danish government banned Pit Bulls and made extensive efforts to confiscate and euthanise them.

After a brief dip in the number of bite cases, the number of bites went right back up to former levels. Turns out that if you ban Pit Bulls, the people who owned the ones that were problems go out, get a different breed of dog and get the same results.

That says to me very clearly that the problem is the owners, not the breed of dog.

I certainly agree that not everyone who owns a dog in this country should own a pet! I just don't want to take away everyone's Pit Bulls because a minority of the owners are irresponsible idjits. I know way too many wonderful, sweet and not at all aggressive Pit Bulls to want the breed to disappear.

There's lots of evidence showing that laws other than breed bans are more effective in lowering the number of bites in a community. The law that makes the most difference is already on the books in many communities: leash laws. In communities where leash laws are aggressively enforced, the number of bites goes way down.

Why? It seems that people who own dogs likely to bite are also lazy owners. Force them to keep their dogs on leash or pay hefty fines, they give up dog ownership.

The next most effective law is a requirement that dogs that are tied out have to have an adult supervising them continuously. Aggressively enforced, again it turns out that people who own dogs that bite are lazy owners. If they can't tie their dog out for hours on end without supervision, they give up on dog ownership.

Providing an incentive for responsible pet ownership in the form of offering a modest discount for a dog license for each dog that goes through an obedience class is a new idea that hasn't been around long enough to see if it makes a difference. Trainers in towns that offer such a discount report that the number of dog owners in their classes goes up, though.

Aggressively enforce both of those laws and offer a modest discount (as little as $5 and a different colour of tag seems to work) and the rate of bites would probably go way, way down. And the people who own Pit Bulls who are not a problem (the vast majority of Pit Bulls and their owners) would not be penalised for the deeds of the few.

These stories really make me so angry!!!! Don't give me the BS lines about the owners blah blah blah. Go to the thread here about what they found in Tulsa, OK about pit bulls attacks and what they found as far as it being the BREED. I posted it to show people that whatever stat you want to produce from whatever slant you want to lean towards...the real stats were done here. There was no bias. They merely stated the facts of attacks and bites which happened. It tells the real story.

Children should NOT die because of people who insist on raising insane animals!

The dog was chained in his own yard. Who was watching the 3 year old?

Most dog bites are from small dogs, that is a fact.

Banning pit bulls is treating the symptom not the cause.

Pixies, then how do you explain the results in Denmark? The Danish government banned Pit Bulls and made extensive efforts to confiscate and euthanise them.

After a brief dip in the number of bite cases, the number of bites went right back up to former levels. Turns out that if you ban Pit Bulls, the people who owned the ones that were problems go out, get a different breed of dog and get the same results.

That says to me very clearly that the problem is the owners, not the breed of dog.

I certainly agree that not everyone who owns a dog in this country should own a pet! I just don't want to take away everyone's Pit Bulls because a minority of the owners are irresponsible idjits. I know way too many wonderful, sweet and not at all aggressive Pit Bulls to want the breed to disappear.

There's lots of evidence showing that laws other than breed bans are more effective in lowering the number of bites in a community. The law that makes the most difference is already on the books in many communities: leash laws. In communities where leash laws are aggressively enforced, the number of bites goes way down.

Why? It seems that people who own dogs likely to bite are also lazy owners. Force them to keep their dogs on leash or pay hefty fines, they give up dog ownership.

The next most effective law is a requirement that dogs that are tied out have to have an adult supervising them continuously. Aggressively enforced, again it turns out that people who own dogs that bite are lazy owners. If they can't tie their dog out for hours on end without supervision, they give up on dog ownership.

Providing an incentive for responsible pet ownership in the form of offering a modest discount for a dog license for each dog that goes through an obedience class is a new idea that hasn't been around long enough to see if it makes a difference. Trainers in towns that offer such a discount report that the number of dog owners in their classes goes up, though.

Aggressively enforce both of those laws and offer a modest discount (as little as $5 and a different colour of tag seems to work) and the rate of bites would probably go way, way down. And the people who own Pit Bulls who are not a problem (the vast majority of Pit Bulls and their owners) would not be penalised for the deeds of the few.
:clap::clap: Amen to that.

This is actually pretty close to my neck of the woods, here are a few more stories about it...

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008807230374

Pit bull attacks, kills 3-year-old

Investigation continues into boy’s mauling
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200880723019

Grieving mother discusses fatal dog attack
http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2008807240385
From Article:The Owner of the Dog is speaking...

Reason said he got Blue Eyes as a guard dog. The dog was always chained and never allowed to roam, he said. "Believe me, this was no pet," he said. "I've had more stuff stolen from this driveway. You wouldn't believe it. The dog worked because it scared people away."
But Reason said he wants the dog dead and begged officers the night of the attack to kill the animal. "Kill it. Just kill it," Reason said in front of his house that bears a "Beware Of Dog" sign. "I don't even want a dog anymore."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That last line just makes me ill!

#1-We have the Mom who let her 3 year old play outside while she was inside at 9 P.M.
#2-We have a dog owner the pretty much admits he didn't even care about the dog..thus the dog stayed chained up 24/7 and most likely it was starving... judging from the picture

I believe the dog was past the point of no return mentally. All that aside you have this baby...

he was failed by a few people. And as for the dog, so was he.
I am a pet groomer..in the last week alone I have groomed 3 pit bulls, sweetest things I swear. Was grooming a Shi-Tzu Tuesday..he bit a chunk out of my finger. People can say all they want to about the "breed"....but every dog has the propensity to attack, and given the right opprotunity they will.

#1-We have the Mom who let her 3 year old play outside while she was inside at 9 P.M.

Apparently for most of the day. She was relying on a bunch of children to watch her child for her.

#2-We have a dog owner the pretty much admits he didn't even care about the dog..thus the dog stayed chained up 24/7 and most likely it was starving... judging from the picture

He doesn't look overly thin to me but I'm used to highly athletic dogs (I compete in dog agility). He does look like he's cold and in pain--why can't that shelter give him something soft and warm to lie on while the humans decide what to do with him?

For that matter, he doesn't even look like a Pit Bull to me. Maybe a Pit Bull mix but not a purebred. I wouldn't even be surprised to learn that he had no Pit Bull in him.

he was failed by a few people. And as for the dog, so was he.

Absolutely. I can't get over that the mother hadn't really been taking care of that three year old all day--he was just turned loose to wander at will and she checked on him a couple times.

I am a pet groomer..in the last week alone I have groomed 3 pit bulls, sweetest things I swear. Was grooming a Shi-Tzu Tuesday..he bit a chunk out of my finger. People can say all they want to about the "breed"....but every dog has the propensity to attack, and given the right opprotunity they will.

I always say, even a bunny rabbit will fight for its life.

Apparently for most of the day. She was relying on a bunch of children to watch her child for her.

He doesn't look overly thin to me but I'm used to highly athletic dogs (I compete in dog agility). He does look like he's cold and in pain--why can't that shelter give him something soft and warm to lie on while the humans decide what to do with him?

The police shot him when they came to the home, the dog "charged" them..I do wish that I could waltz in there and give him a blanket, I am of the belief that he deserves to be treated with respect and dignity..and yes I know what he did to the baby..but does he?

For that matter, he doesn't even look like a Pit Bull to me. Maybe a Pit Bull mix but not a purebred. I wouldn't even be surprised to learn that he had no Pit Bull in him.

Absolutely. I can't get over that the mother hadn't really been taking care of that three year old all day--he was just turned loose to wander at will and she checked on him a couple times.

All parties involved should be looked into, the father of the little boy is in prison.....and she has an infant.

Absolutely!
:furious::mad::confused::banghead::tsktsk:

Gosh, it sounds like child killing dogs make you go almost as soft and gooey inside as child raping predators do in your other posts.

I love dogs.
But alot of them unfortunately are owned by idiots who have no business having them however, to ignore the statistical evidence of what happens when that unfortunate circumstance applies to pit bulls is nothing but denial.
Its very sad but I have alot more sympathy for the people maimed and killed by these animals every year.
Its time for them all to be put down or sterilized with the exception of a few specimens in the Zoo.

Agree 1000% Pixies. Seriously BAD BAD BREED... also many irresponsible owners.

Gosh, it sounds like child killing dogs make you go almost as soft and gooey inside as child raping predators do in your other posts.

I don't understand this comment or what inspired it.

I've apparently offended you in some way but it is a mystery to me as to how I did so. Would you care to clarify it?

Wow what a statement! O.k. the child raping predator is a human capable of making the decision to take it to that level........while the dog is an animal that acts on animal instinct, they do not have the cognitive ability to weigh it's options...that instinct can be curved either way by it's upbringing, dogs are not stupid by any means ...however the way in which they are raised has tons to do with their behavior. Same for humans, but we have the decision making capability that animals do not. If it is proven that said child raping predator was "abused" or "mistreated" as a child he is given a chance to be "rehabilitated" or looked into further mentally. If we put them to death as quickly as we do animals that attack and/or kill I bet there wouldn't be nearly as many that later in life "discover" that they have mental issues ONLY after ruining a child's life forever. Like someone's signature here says "Death to all child molesters".

Look,im really not blaming the animal....its an animal.
But I wouldnt recomend keeping a cougar or a wild boar as a pet in your yard or let rattlesnakes and scorpians crawl around your living room.
None of those animals could be blamed when someone got hurt if we were foolish enough to do that
But people should be smart enough to figure out that some animals are not MEANT to be pets .
I think the statistics speak pretty loudly that Pit Bulls fall under that category.
I see already as I post this we have ANOTHER thread with a child losing a limb to one of these dogs.
There are a million breeds of dogs out there that do make good pets if you really love this breed so much stop putting them in the situation where this kind of tragedy can happen and some child AND the pit bull are going to have to pay for it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cariboucampfire73
Back