Suicide Note of Mother, 53: "By the time you foreclose on my house I'll be dead."

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
TAUNTON, Mass. (July 23) - A 53-year-old wife and mother fatally shot herself soon after faxing a letter to her mortgage company saying that by the time they foreclosed on her house that day, she would be dead.

Police in Taunton said Carlene Balderrama used her husband's high-powered rifle to kill herself Tuesday afternoon, after faxing the letter at 2:30 p.m.

The mortgage company called police, who found Balderrama's body at 3:30 p.m. in her brown-shingled raised ranch house. The auction was scheduled to start at 5 p.m. and interested buyers arrived at the property in Taunton, about 35 miles south of Boston, while Balderrama's body was still inside, according to police chief Raymond O'Berg.

http://www.walletpop.com/mortgages/...-self-before-foreclosure/20080723171309990001

Poor woman! However, if the home was near foreclosure and the husband knew nothing of it, then the problem didn't lie with the mortgage company!

This makes me so sad. I just feel so bad for her and the overwhelming grief she must have been dealing with.

And now her huband and son are left wondering why.

So, so sad and needless :(

Ahh, what a sad story. Poor lady. If she'd only talked to somebody, rather than holding it inside. There were other ways to solve her problems.

:(
fran

If only she had shared her problems with her family, they might have been able to find a way out of this jam. It may be that she had lost the money, or spent it, instead of paying the mortgage and was too embarassed or scared to tell her DH. My brother didn't find out that his wife had spent tens of thousands on credit cards (on the home shopping channel and gambling) until it became a collections nightmare and he had to get a second mortgage on their almost paid off house. Then she did it again, so he divorced her. She was driving him to bankruptcy.

Aww, this is sad. :(

The way things are going, with so many forclosures, this may happen again and again.
Scary times we are in.

"That's the real sad part: This is a middle-class family, a husband working, the son is working," O'Berg said. But the housing crunch, he said, "is inflicting real pain on middle-class Americans.
"Put yourself in her shoes," he added. "You handle the finances, and you're hiding everything from family. It's a lot of pressure."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2008/07/24/the_anguish_of_foreclosure/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back