1062 users online (209 members and 853 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 66
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    heaven bound
    Posts
    4,829

    New Minimum Wage: $6.55/HR

    What a joke.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    heaven bound
    Posts
    4,829
    Quote Originally Posted by adnoid View Post
    What are you mad about?
    I'm mad for all the people who have to take minimim wage jobs and try to raise a family on that wage. or, heck, even try to take care of just yourself, making that.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    359,904
    To me, it is an encouragement to keep bettering myself, obtain skills that make me profitable so that I dont HAVE to take a job paying minimum wage.

    I know there are situations that are bad, but economically, if it's raise it too much, it will hurt mom and pop shops that cant afford to pay a higher wage.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,165
    Im confused as to why you're mad...its higher than the previous minimum wage rate correct?
    Happiness is the secret to all beauty.
    There is no beauty that is attractive
    Without happiness.
    ♥Christian Dior ♥

  5. #5
    Up until recently, Idaho's minimum wage was $5.15. Now THAT is a joke. I agree with you that $6.55 is still horrible, especially when trying to raise a family, but at least it's coming up. It's supposed to come up more soon too.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,189
    Quote Originally Posted by White Rain View Post
    What a joke.
    I have some folks working in the moving industry that is a very very hard physical job, that have done it for years- making 12 an hour- I think flipping burgers for this wage ( no disrespect to anyone intended ) is a fair wage

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Quote Originally Posted by brad View Post
    To me, it is an encouragement to keep bettering myself, obtain skills that make me profitable so that I dont HAVE to take a job paying minimum wage.

    I know there are situations that are bad, but economically, if it's raise it too much, it will hurt mom and pop shops that cant afford to pay a higher wage.
    I agree. It's true that the thought of making ends meet on such a low hourly salary is daunting but we have to look at the bigger picture as well. I am glad they have raised it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    16,021
    Quote Originally Posted by j2mirish View Post
    I have some folks working in the moving industry that is a very very hard physical job, that have done it for years- making 12 an hour- I think flipping burgers for this wage ( no disrespect to anyone intended ) is a fair wage
    My very first "real" job was in a Burger King at age 15! Those were the days! I think everyone should spend a summer working fast food.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,189
    Quote Originally Posted by southcitymom View Post
    My very first "real" job was in a Burger King at age 15! Those were the days! I think everyone should spend a summer working fast food.
    and mine was as a waitress at a walgreens restaurant-- we didnt even get the 2.10 minimum wage because we got tips if I remember correctly

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,189
    Quote Originally Posted by adnoid View Post
    Mine was sweeping a warehouse floor for $1.65 per hour while I was in high school.
    you sure did keep that sweeping motion going
    glad for that !


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by j2mirish View Post
    and mine was as a waitress at a walgreens restaurant-- we didnt even get the 2.10 minimum wage because we got tips if I remember correctly
    Walgreens has a restaraunt????

    My first job was a tanning salon that was $5.00 an hour and my second job was a waitress at $2.15 an hour plus tips.
    Happiness is the secret to all beauty.
    There is no beauty that is attractive
    Without happiness.
    ♥Christian Dior ♥

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,189
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasCutie View Post
    Walgreens has a restaraunt????

    My first job was a tanning salon that was $5.00 an hour and my second job was a waitress at $2.15 an hour plus tips.
    they use to its been awhile

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by j2mirish View Post
    they use to its been awhile
    Are we talking about the same walgreens...like the pharmacy? If so, thats so weird!!
    Happiness is the secret to all beauty.
    There is no beauty that is attractive
    Without happiness.
    ♥Christian Dior ♥

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,189
    Quote Originally Posted by KansasCutie View Post
    Are we talking about the same walgreens...like the pharmacy? If so, thats so weird!!
    yes we are

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,165
    Quote Originally Posted by j2mirish View Post
    yes we are
    I wonder why they took it out...that so strange!
    Happiness is the secret to all beauty.
    There is no beauty that is attractive
    Without happiness.
    ♥Christian Dior ♥

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Scranton, Pa., slashes workers' pay to minimum wage
    By Reader in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-11-2012, 01:17 AM
  2. Virtual Memory Minimum Too Low
    By nanandjim in forum Forum Finesse
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-29-2007, 06:40 AM
  3. Minimum Wage Boost Races Through House
    By Beyond Belief in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 117
    Last Post: 01-12-2007, 06:54 PM