New Minimum Wage: $6.55/HR

What are you mad about?

I'm mad for all the people who have to take minimim wage jobs and try to raise a family on that wage. or, heck, even try to take care of just yourself, making that.

To me, it is an encouragement to keep bettering myself, obtain skills that make me profitable so that I dont HAVE to take a job paying minimum wage.

I know there are situations that are bad, but economically, if it's raise it too much, it will hurt mom and pop shops that cant afford to pay a higher wage.

Im confused as to why you're mad...its higher than the previous minimum wage rate correct?

Up until recently, Idaho's minimum wage was $5.15. Now THAT is a joke. I agree with you that $6.55 is still horrible, especially when trying to raise a family, but at least it's coming up. It's supposed to come up more soon too.

What a joke. :mad:
I have some folks working in the moving industry that is a very very hard physical job, that have done it for years- making 12 an hour- I think flipping burgers for this wage ( no disrespect to anyone intended ) is a fair wage

To me, it is an encouragement to keep bettering myself, obtain skills that make me profitable so that I dont HAVE to take a job paying minimum wage.

I know there are situations that are bad, but economically, if it's raise it too much, it will hurt mom and pop shops that cant afford to pay a higher wage.

I agree. It's true that the thought of making ends meet on such a low hourly salary is daunting but we have to look at the bigger picture as well. I am glad they have raised it.

I have some folks working in the moving industry that is a very very hard physical job, that have done it for years- making 12 an hour- I think flipping burgers for this wage ( no disrespect to anyone intended ) is a fair wage

My very first "real" job was in a Burger King at age 15! Those were the days!:crazy: I think everyone should spend a summer working fast food.

My very first "real" job was in a Burger King at age 15! Those were the days!:crazy: I think everyone should spend a summer working fast food.
and mine was as a waitress at a walgreens restaurant-- we didnt even get the 2.10 minimum wage because we got tips if I remember correctly :eek:

Mine was sweeping a warehouse floor for $1.65 per hour while I was in high school.
you sure did keep that sweeping motion going :crazy: :rolleyes: :crazy:
glad for that !

and mine was as a waitress at a walgreens restaurant-- we didnt even get the 2.10 minimum wage because we got tips if I remember correctly :eek:

Walgreens has a restaraunt????

My first job was a tanning salon that was $5.00 an hour and my second job was a waitress at $2.15 an hour plus tips.

$1.50 an hour cleaning out pockets at my uncle's dry cleaning plant. Every Saturday for 12 hours when I was 14.

The things people leave in their pockets...YIKES..

$1.50 an hour cleaning out pockets at my uncle's dry cleaning plant. Every Saturday for 12 hours when I was 14.

The things people leave in their pockets...YIKES..

LOL...I worked for a dry cleaner in a rich area. I used to find 100's, fine jewelry, expensive pens, etc. I was only making 4.00 an hour which made it tempting to keep stuff, but usually they would give you a tip for returning it!

I guess doing the right thing gives other rewards.:crazy:

Well, I'm mad that we even HAVE a minimum wage. Just more government involvement....

Not just kids and people too lazy to get more education are working at lower paying jobs. There's many working second jobs, students having to pay for their own things, elderly supplementing retirement, high level mentally challenged, widows who stayed home for years, people who are middle aged and have lost good jobs, etc. Raising minimum wage gets more people spending at least a little more money which helps the economy. I think it should be at least $8-9 per hour.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SGS3030
Back