1156 users online (238 members and 918 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast
    gaia227 is offline I have never taken any exercise except sleeping and resting - M. Twain
    I read about this when it first happened. I can't believe they still have not caught anyone. With the knifes being left behind I wonder if LE was able to extract DNA. During stabbing assaults many times the perp. will cut themselves.

Surely LE has gone through the Dr's records and contacted every single person who was denied a residency to see if any of them match the description.....that is where I would start but what do I know......

I don't have a good feeling about this latest arrests. I think the murder of Thomas and Shirley was personal and they were targeted specifically to be killed.

Given the way the killer acted - so calmly walking out to his car - I wonder if he could have been a hitman?
    'The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated'
    --Ghandi

Omaha Murders

Its been awhile since I looked at my post and am very grateful for the new posts - this is a case I feel strongly about and want to keep interest alive- sometimes it feels like a losing battle.
    Like the last poster I have slowly come to the conclusion that this may well have been a hit job. Not by a professional but by a wannabe- someone hired by a third party who lacks the moxie or ability to do it themselves. If so, what's the motive- revenge against the Hunters for a medical misadventure is one thought. one crime blogger feels it was an angry med student that blmed the boy's parents for failure to get into residency or continue in school. They served on the review board at Creighton.
    One recurrent rumor keeps coming back to me- have heard from four seperate sources. Someone in Ms Sherman's family has a drug problem. They owe large sums to dealers. At this point the suggestion is that the dealers just killed Shirlee because she was trying to be a go between and buy them off- remember a large amount of money was untouched in her purse. Something went wrong or they thought she'd informed on them and she was killed, the boy killed as a wittness,
    I think its just as possible this was someone hired by whomever in her family to get her insurance money or property to apply to drug debts.
    One big question is- have the cops looked at phone records or pulled computer drives? You'd think so but I wonder. OPD at that time and still is in a very stressed state due to lots of staff issues. The parents and Ms Sherman's family both have been oddly quiet. I just can't shake the feeling something strange is going on here. To be blunt the police just have never seemed very interested in solving this thing. There are people here in Omaha who think the Creighton connection is tied up somehow, potential for scandal and all that. Comments welcome.

Here's what "jumped out" at me. One of the posted articles said that Tommy's video game, in the basement, was found on pause.
    Getting a young boy from in front of his video game can be a toughy. I'd find it hard to believe that an 11 year old boy would (A) hear the doorbell with a video game on because he would be oblivious to it and possibly couldn't hear it either from the basement and (B) I seriously doubt that he cared about the door bell and he knew that the housekeeper was there and would answer it. Source? I've got six kids.
    My guess is that he was called from the basement by the housekeeper to address some issue associated with this stranger at the door. Why? If a blood curdling scream is what summoned this child from the basement, then it is highly unlikely that he stopped long enough to pause the game. Also, if she simply called down to him without requesting directly for him to come upstairs, he wouldn't have paused the game just to talk to her.
    It would seem as though perhaps the house keeper had no idea who this guy was at the door. Whatever he said to her, it seems plausible that she summoned the boy to see what HE knew about the purpose of this mans visit,r that it was of interest to the boy, involved him, and possibly to have the boy talk to this man.
    The boy was found in the dining room. Possibly he and the boy went to the table for some reason? He did have a briefcase, and I doubt you enter this house through the dining room so they were away from the front door. Sherman was found down the hall near her cleaning supplies, 20 feet from the dining room. Sounds as if she went back to what she was doing inititally, after Tommy came up from downstairs.
    He'd never seen the house. Thus the reason he approached the house so slowly. He was checking house numbers. And if you enter a strange house, alone, with two people inside...are you likely to manage to kill them both, if they're in the same room talking to you, with a knife? And he left the knives? Instinct would tell most people that if you brought it with you to take it when you leave. Likewise, if you got it out of the house, leave it in the house. If he obtained the knives in the house then he came with no weapon?!?
    No one who saw him saw blood on him? Well he did have on a black coat, but maybe he'd taken his coat off before the murders?
    He pulled up directly in front of the house in broad daylight in a residential setting. He didn't give much thought to being seen or identified by neighbors, did he? Strange. He may have planned it, but he didn't know ahead of time where the house was...that's not much planning. He left the knives. He had a briefcase and could have easily dropped the knives in the case but he left them there instead...even if he wiped them down. That was just stupid and it doesn't sound too pre-planned to me.
    It sounds to me as if he was purposely trying to go to that house when no one was home, during the day, when the homeowners were at work. Perhaps he was looking for something specific in that house and intended to break in, but he went to the door first and knocked to make his presence seem justified? He could have had his little burglary kit in his briefcase. It certainly wasn't a robbery...and this guy picked this random house in this random neighborhood, to kill whoever randomly answered the door and let him in? I don't think so.

Yeah...I'm just rambling, bouncing ideas off of you. I'm interested to see how this turns out. Something in the dynamics in this case seem a bit off kilter.

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything; but I still can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." ~Helen Keller~

Sometimes a man can meet his destiny on the road he took to avoid it.

Omaha Murders

Thanks for a very interesting post. Before the cops even released about the video game thing I assumed the boy was doing that. My kid does the same right after school. I am posting on three boards about this killing and couldnt recall if I floated this one here but it looks not. What if the killer was targeting the Hunter boy? Not the parents, the boy? You may wonder why an 11 year old would be targeted.
    This was a kid who probably spent lots of time alone, doing gaming and maybe on line. He was bright and from reading between the lines a little argumentive and cocky- they usually are at that age, I have one.
    Just what if- this was an older teen or young adult he angered on line? Maybe in some fantasy game or chat? This guy pretended to be friends anyway and then said he had a CD or something to drop off? He gets there and kills him, with knives like in some video game and takes out the housekeeper.
    I have passed this idea on to OPD and of course never even got the time of day. Someone claiming to be a friend of the Sherman family was on a local chat news board in early June- she said as of then so far as she knew the cops had NOT checked any of the phone/ computer records. Just stunning. How would they expect to solve this thing? Makes me want to scream.
    Some responders have stated they felt Ms SHerman knew this guy as she seemed to have let him in so easily, with no visible discussion. Perhaps Thomas told her someone would be coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterfly View Post
    Here's what "jumped out" at me. One of the posted articles said that Tommy's video game, in the basement, was found on pause.
    Getting a young boy from in front of his video game can be a toughy. I'd find it hard to believe that an 11 year old boy would (A) hear the doorbell with a video game on because he would be oblivious to it and possibly couldn't hear it either from the basement and (B) I seriously doubt that he cared about the door bell and he knew that the housekeeper was there and would answer it. Source? I've got six kids.
    My guess is that he was called from the basement by the housekeeper to address some issue associated with this stranger at the door. Why? If a blood curdling scream is what summoned this child from the basement, then it is highly unlikely that he stopped long enough to pause the game. Also, if she simply called down to him without requesting directly for him to come upstairs, he wouldn't have paused the game just to talk to her.
    It would seem as though perhaps the house keeper had no idea who this guy was at the door. Whatever he said to her, it seems plausible that she summoned the boy to see what HE knew about the purpose of this mans visit,r that it was of interest to the boy, involved him, and possibly to have the boy talk to this man.
    The boy was found in the dining room. Possibly he and the boy went to the table for some reason? He did have a briefcase, and I doubt you enter this house through the dining room so they were away from the front door. Sherman was found down the hall near her cleaning supplies, 20 feet from the dining room. Sounds as if she went back to what she was doing inititally, after Tommy came up from downstairs.
    He'd never seen the house. Thus the reason he approached the house so slowly. He was checking house numbers. And if you enter a strange house, alone, with two people inside...are you likely to manage to kill them both, if they're in the same room talking to you, with a knife? And he left the knives? Instinct would tell most people that if you brought it with you to take it when you leave. Likewise, if you got it out of the house, leave it in the house. If he obtained the knives in the house then he came with no weapon?!?
    No one who saw him saw blood on him? Well he did have on a black coat, but maybe he'd taken his coat off before the murders?
    He pulled up directly in front of the house in broad daylight in a residential setting. He didn't give much thought to being seen or identified by neighbors, did he? Strange. He may have planned it, but he didn't know ahead of time where the house was...that's not much planning. He left the knives. He had a briefcase and could have easily dropped the knives in the case but he left them there instead...even if he wiped them down. That was just stupid and it doesn't sound too pre-planned to me.
    It sounds to me as if he was purposely trying to go to that house when no one was home, during the day, when the homeowners were at work. Perhaps he was looking for something specific in that house and intended to break in, but he went to the door first and knocked to make his presence seem justified? He could have had his little burglary kit in his briefcase. It certainly wasn't a robbery...and this guy picked this random house in this random neighborhood, to kill whoever randomly answered the door and let him in? I don't think so.

Yeah...I'm just rambling, bouncing ideas off of you. I'm interested to see how this turns out. Something in the dynamics in this case seem a bit off kilter.

Shutterfly, you may think you're rambling but you sure ramble GOOD! The part about the game on pause, the boy being in the dining room, and the maid in the hallway having moved on from whatever "business" the man had with the boy shows excellent reasoning. Just wish I had something to add....

Omaha Double Murders

Shutterfly, bravo- very good analysis. You shed some light on things I had not even thought of and I have been obsessed with this case for months.
    Not to grind my own theory but doesnt a lot of this suggest a perp who was not a professional hit man? Too sloppy. It doesn't suggest an angry ex med student at least to me. If he did have Tommy summonded from the basement how did he manage that? He left the knives- that to me suggests he's very off mentally. This is not to my mind a hardened drug dealer or hit man.
    I still think they need to pull the hard drive on the Hunter's computer(s) and see what Tommy was up to on line. I think this guy was local, maybe someone in their 20's who lives alone or in his parent's basement and plays a lot of fantasy games. He may appear to have his mental illness under control but something snapped. He may have gone there to see Tommy about some on line disagreement or as I suggested to give him some software. Maybe Tommy said something to him about his being 'wierd' who knows, he then went off and did the killings.
    I would like very much to send a follwup email to the officer at OPD who did respond to my earlier email and strongly suggest they pull the drives if not already; I know they won't comment but I'd like to anyway. I think they have exuausted the angry med student or ex patient angle. To my thinking he may have been a disturbed young man who badly needs to get taken off the streets. Any comments?

Both the parents are doctors. The killer went to the address with some sort of intent of revenge on either one or both of the parents. The housekeeper happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. LE should check into patients medical records to see if either of the parents had any patients who had died and perhaps the killer is a pissed off family member of a relative who died under the care of one of the doctors.
    The pissed off med student story would be another fitting scenario. If they said he had hard hair and an olive complexion maybe the man was from India? Sorry to sound like i am generalizing or something. A lot of doctors are from India or it is their home country.

Omaha Murders

Meow- The angry ex med student or family member of a deceased patient idea has been around since the start- and I still think it's good. One thing though- according to the newspaper article the FBI has been involved in the case since at least April. That's nearly six months to sort through the patient and school records. But maybe this is a larger task than I think. I just think they have done and are doing that and it's either a slow go or isn't panning out. I also considered this being someone from India- however it could fit a native American, Hispanic, Middle Eastern or Asian as well. We just can be pretty sure he was not African American. He may have actually been caucasian, just dark.
    One idea is that maybe they have had some idea who this is for some time. He may have fled the country following and getting him extradited is taking a lot of delicate moves. Many countries won't extradite if there's a chance the accused would get the death penalty. I'd like to see him get that, but I'd settle for his being put away for life.
    I reread the article from the World Herald and it did mention computer analysis would be done. If my idea has merit- that it was someone Thomas knew on line- and I still think it has merit- then that should come out or maybe it has and they are trying to close the circle. We can only hope. In any event this man needs to get taken out of circulation.
    It does occur to me that Creighton Med Center does heart surgeries on persons flown in here from the third world. LE could do worse than to check out the families of anyone Claire Hunter operated on

Tnx Snick. This is a case that has so many incredible twists and turns. It will be interesting when LE checks the family's (including Thomas) ccomputers to see if there were any threatening messages or interesting websites. That also applies to phone records. The two families need to know what happened. I can understand your fascination after reading this thread.

This murder does seem like someone with an axe to grind vs. a random act like a serial killer. Whoever did this may not be insane but personality disordered like most deviants who commit murder. This still could be an angry med student or a displeased relative who possibly made contact with the boy via internet to get to the parents.

Omaha Murders

Just a couple random thoughts today:

One factor maybe I have not mentioned up to now: the Omaha Police department is very understaffed now and has been for some time prior to this crime. The homicide division took a big hit, lost a big percentage of their veteran staff due to 'early retirements' late last year. I think they still are very understaffed. There are more unsolved murders than I can keep track of- this Summer was horrific in the minority areas; there is still an average of one murder every other day or so that goes unsolved.
    That being said I think that perhaps their approach to this crime has been that, so long as the families and media are not pressing them, they will not put as much effort into the investigation. They made a big splash right after, asking for leads and tips and got a lot of them- none to my knowledge were ever acknowledged. I think I recounted my experience at submitting one and having to ask my city councilman just to get them to acknowledge they got it. I get the feeling they aren't doing jack.
    My big question is why the families, especially the Hunters, have not been more active in pressing this. I understand their grief, but I now think their son's murder will go unsolved if they don't get out and take some active part. I question if the phone and computer records were ever accessed.
    I also question if there isn't more to all this than meets the eye- if for example this crime was due to actions of one of the older Hunter children maybe LE has decided to avoid a scandal that would affect the Creighton reputation.
    Did I mention on this board- the funerals for both victims were held at exctly the same time. Coincidence? Perhaps, or indication of some blame?
    This is a case that would benefit from National exposure- I am not sure how to go about getting that- it's probably pretty run of the mill so far as crimes go today so maybe that's not going to happen.

Hi, Snick
    Could you please expand on "the funerals for both victims were held at the same time"?

Omaha Murders

The crime took place on March 13, a Thursday. The funerals for both Tom Hunter and Ms Sherman were held on Wednesday the 19 at 11 AM, in two different parts of town. The Hunter funeral at the Creighton campus church and the Sherman funeral across town at a funeral home. I do not have immediate access to the funeral announcments but can try to post these if anyone is interested.
    I was not the only person noting this. A few comments were made on local discussion boards. It may not mean anything- it just seemed strange and still does. Perhaps the Sherman family blamed the Hunters for somehow endangering her- or maybe the Hunters felt her carelessness was to blame.

Yo, Snick, no more info?

I agree that the timing of the two funerals seems strange, but then again it could just be one of those things with no relevance that still seems suspicious given the other circumstances. I mean, it's not likely that the two would necessarily have the same visitors. I guess....

I hope to keep up on this story. Please post again when anything comes up.

--tapu/jen

Saw this pop up today. Snick, how long did Ms Sherman work for the Hunters? I ask because it does seem strange that the funerals weren't scheduled so they could attend both. This is especially true if she was a long-time employee.

Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast