Alabama Woman 'Crucifies' Herself in Protest Over Jailed Son's Care

GetSmart

Reaction score
Alabama Woman 'Crucifies' Herself in Protest Over Jailed Son's Care

http://www.foxnews.com/
DECATUR, Ala. — A Decatur woman clung to a wooden cross set atop a backyard fence for hours in the summer heat to protest what she called the mistreatment of her son, who is being held in the city jail.
A poster placed on the fence in Maria Thornton's yard during Wednesday's protest declared she wouldn't eat, drink or come down from the cross until her son received help.
Decatur Fire and Rescue firefighters waited below the makeshift cross to make sure Thornton didn't fall. A police officer tried to coax her down and the 58-year-old woman eventually ended her protest some two hours and 40 minutes after it began Wednesday morning.
Thornton and her husband, James, said they believe jail staff are ignoring the mental health problems of their son, 28-year-old John Paul Thornton. The woman's husband said he suspects their son is bipolar and they want him to get assistance.
"We don't want him out of jail," Maria Thornton told The Decatur Daily. "We want to put him somewhere he can get help ... He needs help."
A police spokesman told the newspaper that John Paul Thornton, who is serving a 60-day sentence for driving under the influence, has been evaluated by a mental health professional and is receiving the same care as any inmate on suicide watch...............................................
<!-- QUIGO --><!-- QUIGO -->

Its no wonder the son has mental problems if thats how the mother acts. Thats just crazy:confused:

The link I put up does not gp to this article...sorry Go to this link

http://www.waaytv.com/global/story.asp?s=8729149

DECATUR, Ala. (AP) - A Decatur woman who believes her son is being mistreated in the city jail hung onto a wooden cross nailed to the top of a fence for nearly three hours in protest.
A poster on the fence said 58-year-old Maria Thornton wouldn't eat, drink or come down until her son received help.
Firefighters waited below to make sure she didn't fall. Around 10:40 a.m. Wednesday, after staying on the cross for two hours and 40 minutes, she agreed to come down.

What did that achieve? It was beyond foolish. She should have contacted the prison, the prosecutor, her congressman, newspapers, magazines etc. to try to get her son help.

That is what we call a nut where I come from!:confused:

Did anyone use to watch The Young Ones? Remember how Rik was trying to crucify himself to protest their house being demolished, and Neil the depressed hippie told him, "I've tried it hundreds of times, there's no way you can hammer in the last nail..."

Ooh, I found it on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwm1xkExlG4 It's probably not funny if you aren't familiar with the characters, but just remembering gave me a giggle this morning.

That said, I hope the family gets this all sorted out, it seems like a lot of help is needed here, and not all of it is going to come through the courts.

What did that achieve? It was beyond foolish. She should have contacted the prison, the prosecutor, her congressman, newspapers, magazines etc. to try to get her son help.

It proves LE should strongly consider the son probably does have some serious mental issues due to both biological and enviornmental factors...

Did anyone use to watch The Young Ones? Remember how Rik was trying to crucify himself to protest their house being demolished, and Neil the depressed hippie told him, "I've tried it hundreds of times, there's no way you can hammer in the last nail..."

Ooh, I found it on You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwm1xkExlG4 It's probably not funny if you aren't familiar with the characters, but just remembering gave me a giggle this morning.

I remember it. Hilarious! :D

Somehow the parents "think" it is the "burden" of society to "care for their son".

Well he just did not develop mental illness overnight.

I would think if the parents "thought" something was wrong with their son they may have "thought" about getting help for him before now.

Drinking and driving, well I am glad that he did not kill himself or others.

Somehow the parents "think" it is the "burden" of society to "care for their son".

Well he just did not develop mental illness overnight.

I would think if the parents "thought" something was wrong with their son they may have "thought" about getting help for him before now.

Drinking and driving, well I am glad that he did not kill himself or others.

Oh yeah and I am betting mom has some serious mental problems also. (Kinda obvious)

They should have gotten help for their son long ago.

That said, I hope the family gets this all sorted out, it seems like a lot of help is needed here, and not all of it is going to come through the courts.

I thought I was the only one who remembered that!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Countrygirlwv
Back