840 users online (172 members and 668 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Art Gallery faces court over "obscene" statue of Christ.

I hope this lawsuit succeeds. This "art" is just disgusting and totally unecessary. Its disrespectful too.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ue-Christ.html
    Rest in Peace Baby P xx

Quote Originally Posted by Ciara View Post
    I hope this lawsuit succeeds. This "art" is just disgusting and totally unecessary. Its disrespectful too.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ue-Christ.html
    I'm all for it if we have a cartoon about Mohammed next to it.

That would never happen especially after what happened last time.
    I hate stuff like this....I really think its disrespectful and I would think that even if I was not a Catholic. There is just no need for it
    Rest in Peace Baby P xx

That is ignorant, to do somthing like that!
    Joann thank you for showing me all the beautiful things in this world especially yourself!!!

It sure is nappy
    Rest in Peace Baby P xx

Despite signs warning of the exhibition’s explicit nature, the gallery, which opened in 2003 after a £35million grant from the Arts Council, received numerous complaints.
    Yet despite the warnings, people still complained? Why? Were they forced to view the exhibit?

Free speech means just that. Free speech (not sure about English laws regarding this) Why should I not be able to see or hear something just because someone else finds it offensive?

We dont have the same laws regarding free speech here as you do there. The country was almost split in half over the muslim cartoons.
    That statue would not have been allowed here if it was any other religion but it seems Christianity is fair game.

No offence but I have no idea why anyone would WANT to see that statue.

Its not art in my eyes and when someone makes it, they just know its going to cause offence. I think its distasteful, ignorant and unnecessary and to me its also blasphemous.

I respect your points though
    Rest in Peace Baby P xx

Quote Originally Posted by anneinchicago View Post
    Yet despite the warnings, people still complained? Why? Were they forced to view the exhibit?

Free speech means just that. Free speech (not sure about English laws regarding this) Why should I not be able to see or hear something just because someone else finds it offensive?
    Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. In my view free speech does not give you the right to break every social convention and decide standards of decency do not apply to you. I am a Christian and this statue offends me deeply. It breaks my heart that others are seeing and probably laughing at a statue of Jesus. That is why I don't want it on public view. I want it destroyed. This man (note I did not say artist) has taken something people hold sacred and degraded it for the sake of some attention. I am all for looking at religions critically including Christianity but this statue doesn't teach anything, inspire anything or have any message at all other than 'I will do whatever it takes to get attention and I don't care who I hurt.' As for complaints despite the warnings do you believe people should stay silent when they are hurt, worried or outraged by something? Unfortunately many people do and that is one of the reasons why abuse and injustices happen simply because people 'don't want to get involved'.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiki View Post
    Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. In my view free speech does not give you the right to break every social convention and decide standards of decency do not apply to you. I am a Christian and this statue offends me deeply. It breaks my heart that others are seeing and probably laughing at a statue of Jesus. That is why I don't want it on public view. I want it destroyed. This man (note I did not say artist) has taken something people hold sacred and degraded it for the sake of some attention. I am all for looking at religions critically including Christianity but this statue doesn't teach anything, inspire anything or have any message at all other than 'I will do whatever it takes to get attention and I don't care who I hurt.' As for complaints despite the warnings do you believe people should stay silent when they are hurt, worried or outraged by something? Unfortunately many people do and that is one of the reasons why abuse and injustices happen simply because people 'don't want to get involved'.
    kiki Bravo. You said what I wanted to say only you said SO much better. Thankyou
    Rest in Peace Baby P xx

Quote Originally Posted by Ciara View Post
    kiki Bravo. You said what I wanted to say only you said SO much better. Thankyou
    Thank you Ciara.

Completely uncalled for, and a blatant attack on the founder of one of the world's major religions. Not art, an attack and attempt to embarass our Lord and Savior. If that were mohammed, that gallery would be in flames, right now.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    Gah, that reminds me of the controversy over Piss Christ.

I agree with Kiki, just because you can do a thing, doesn't mean you should.
    Just thinkin' out loud....

Last words I have to say:

I'm glad I live in the US where (hopefully) this kind of thing is protected as free speech.

I was raised Christian and do not find this offensive.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. In my view free speech does not give you the right to break every social convention and decide standards of decency do not apply to you.
    No, it doesn't mean you should. It means you can. And my standards of decency or what I consider blasphemous are not, obviously, anyone else's.

And, as much as I fear the Islamic fundamentalists/right, these comments here are why I also fear the Christian fundamentalists/right in this country and find them just as horrible as any other fundamentalist religion who decides what everyone else should see, hear, or think.

If you don't like it, don't look or listen to it. I don't like most rap. It's degrading. It doesn't make me want to ban it.

And I'm sorry if it broke anyone's heart.

Quote Originally Posted by anneinchicago View Post
    Last words I have to say:

I'm glad I live in the US where (hopefully) this kind of thing is protected as free speech.

I was raised Christian and do not find this offensive.

No, it doesn't mean you should. It means you can. And my standards of decency or what I consider blasphemous are not, obviously, anyone else's.

And, as much as I fear the Islamic fundamentalists/right, these comments here are why I also fear the Christian fundamentalists/right in this country and find them just as horrible as any other fundamentalist religion who decides what everyone else should see, hear, or think.

If you don't like it, don't look or listen to it. I don't like most rap. It's degrading. It doesn't make me want to ban it.

And I'm sorry if it broke anyone's heart.
    I doubt you're all that sorry.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

Art is art

anneinchicago, Thank you so much! You said exactly what I wanted to. What I find troubling is that the people screaming for laws to police "their" definition of what is or isn't art don't realize that the laws will eventually include their art.

Personally I believe that religion has done more damage and caused more suffering than any art. I find it offensive that anyone feels that their religious belief qualifies them to tell me anything.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast