Art Gallery faces court over "obscene" statue of Christ.

That would never happen especially after what happened last time.
I hate stuff like this....I really think its disrespectful and I would think that even if I was not a Catholic. There is just no need for it:(

That is ignorant, to do somthing like that!

Despite signs warning of the exhibition’s explicit nature, the gallery, which opened in 2003 after a £35million grant from the Arts Council, received numerous complaints.

Yet despite the warnings, people still complained? Why? Were they forced to view the exhibit?

Free speech means just that. Free speech (not sure about English laws regarding this) Why should I not be able to see or hear something just because someone else finds it offensive?

We dont have the same laws regarding free speech here as you do there. The country was almost split in half over the muslim cartoons.
That statue would not have been allowed here if it was any other religion but it seems Christianity is fair game.

No offence but I have no idea why anyone would WANT to see that statue.

Its not art in my eyes and when someone makes it, they just know its going to cause offence. I think its distasteful, ignorant and unnecessary and to me its also blasphemous.

I respect your points though:)

Yet despite the warnings, people still complained? Why? Were they forced to view the exhibit?

Free speech means just that. Free speech (not sure about English laws regarding this) Why should I not be able to see or hear something just because someone else finds it offensive?

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. In my view free speech does not give you the right to break every social convention and decide standards of decency do not apply to you. I am a Christian and this statue offends me deeply. It breaks my heart that others are seeing and probably laughing at a statue of Jesus. That is why I don't want it on public view. I want it destroyed. This man (note I did not say artist) has taken something people hold sacred and degraded it for the sake of some attention. I am all for looking at religions critically including Christianity but this statue doesn't teach anything, inspire anything or have any message at all other than 'I will do whatever it takes to get attention and I don't care who I hurt.' As for complaints despite the warnings do you believe people should stay silent when they are hurt, worried or outraged by something? Unfortunately many people do and that is one of the reasons why abuse and injustices happen simply because people 'don't want to get involved'.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. In my view free speech does not give you the right to break every social convention and decide standards of decency do not apply to you. I am a Christian and this statue offends me deeply. It breaks my heart that others are seeing and probably laughing at a statue of Jesus. That is why I don't want it on public view. I want it destroyed. This man (note I did not say artist) has taken something people hold sacred and degraded it for the sake of some attention. I am all for looking at religions critically including Christianity but this statue doesn't teach anything, inspire anything or have any message at all other than 'I will do whatever it takes to get attention and I don't care who I hurt.' As for complaints despite the warnings do you believe people should stay silent when they are hurt, worried or outraged by something? Unfortunately many people do and that is one of the reasons why abuse and injustices happen simply because people 'don't want to get involved'.

kiki Bravo. You said what I wanted to say only you said SO much better. Thankyou:clap:

Completely uncalled for, and a blatant attack on the founder of one of the world's major religions. Not art, an attack and attempt to embarass our Lord and Savior. If that were mohammed, that gallery would be in flames, right now. :furious::furious::furious:

Gah, that reminds me of the controversy over Piss Christ.

I agree with Kiki, just because you can do a thing, doesn't mean you should. :(

Last words I have to say:

I'm glad I live in the US where (hopefully) this kind of thing is protected as free speech.

I was raised Christian and do not find this offensive.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. In my view free speech does not give you the right to break every social convention and decide standards of decency do not apply to you.

No, it doesn't mean you should. It means you can. And my standards of decency or what I consider blasphemous are not, obviously, anyone else's.

And, as much as I fear the Islamic fundamentalists/right, these comments here are why I also fear the Christian fundamentalists/right in this country and find them just as horrible as any other fundamentalist religion who decides what everyone else should see, hear, or think.

If you don't like it, don't look or listen to it. I don't like most rap. It's degrading. It doesn't make me want to ban it.

And I'm sorry if it broke anyone's heart.

Last words I have to say:

I'm glad I live in the US where (hopefully) this kind of thing is protected as free speech.

I was raised Christian and do not find this offensive.

No, it doesn't mean you should. It means you can. And my standards of decency or what I consider blasphemous are not, obviously, anyone else's.

And, as much as I fear the Islamic fundamentalists/right, these comments here are why I also fear the Christian fundamentalists/right in this country and find them just as horrible as any other fundamentalist religion who decides what everyone else should see, hear, or think.

If you don't like it, don't look or listen to it. I don't like most rap. It's degrading. It doesn't make me want to ban it.

And I'm sorry if it broke anyone's heart.

I doubt you're all that sorry. :rolleyes:

anneinchicago, Thank you so much! You said exactly what I wanted to. What I find troubling is that the people screaming for laws to police "their" definition of what is or isn't art don't realize that the laws will eventually include their art.

Personally I believe that religion has done more damage and caused more suffering than any art. I find it offensive that anyone feels that their religious belief qualifies them to tell me anything.:furious:

Completely uncalled for, and a blatant attack on the founder of one of the world's major religions. Not art, an attack and attempt to embarass our Lord and Savior. If that were mohammed, that gallery would be in flames, right now. :furious::furious::furious:

It cracked me up! But you are right. In a way. I don't feel it was so much an attack as an attention getter for the artist. Yes if it were Mohammed the whole gallery would be burned down by now.
It is Christ with a penis. No reason, he is wearing a robe, it is too upset people. Don't give this crap artist the time of day.

anneinchicago, Thank you so much! You said exactly what I wanted to. What I find troubling is that the people screaming for laws to police "their" definition of what is or isn't art don't realize that the laws will eventually include their art.

Personally I believe that religion has done more damage and caused more suffering than any art. I find it offensive that anyone feels that their religious belief qualifies them to tell me anything.:furious:

It's also ended more suffering, served far more needy, comforted more dying, and done more good than most anything or anyone else. Hopefully that offends you, as well. :slap:

It's also ended more suffering, served far more needy, comforted more dying, and done more good than most anything or anyone else. Hopefully that offends you, as well. :slap:
I do not know where to begin or where to stop. Religion causes more deaths and suffering than any other cause. The art was stupid. Let the artist go down as an attention grabber. Jesus and God are works of fiction created by man.

I do not know where to begin or where to stop. Religion causes more deaths and suffering than any other cause. The art was stupid. Let the artist go down as an attention grabber. Jesus and God are works of fiction created by man.

Words can't describe the ignorance of that post. Your second sentence is nothing more than a typical athiest talking point, at best. Obviously I disagree with your last sentence. :rolleyes:

You are talking about Art right?

None of those things apply to religion in my book. Helping the needy and ending suffering are not things that religion do. People do those things, and the people who have contributed through history to do good things for humankind typically have done those things through science and medicine.

My brother should have been a pro hockey player, but instead he came home from Iraq with one arm and only two working fingers. He would have died from the wounds had they happened in a past war, and he has been able to play hockey thanks to science.
His belief in God took him to war, and that after coming back he sees what a perversion Religion is. Not God, but the people who do things in God's name.

Personally I think that the only organized religion I have ever seen that is worth anything are the Amish. I think everyone could learn a thing or two from them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back