2008.07.16 Casey's First Phone Call Home From Jail *revisit*

unravel

Reaction score
A call Casey made home from jail has been released. Audio @ http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...ee-marie-missing-072508,0,237054.audiogallery

I couldn't find a transcript when I listened so I tried transcribing for those who can't listen for some reason. This is as accurate as I could make it - if I couldn't understand something, I've marked in unintelligible. If there was something I left out, I summarized it [like the name thing]. If anyone reads and listens, then notices any glaring errors, please let me know.

CI is CIndy, CA is CASey, LA is Lee (casey's brother), and FR is Christina, who I think is Casey's friend?

[ringing, phone picked up, robotic voice over about call coming from the jail, and being recorded]

CI: Casey?
CA: Mom
CI: Casey
CA: Well, I just saw your nice little cameo on tv
CI: Which one?
CA: What do you mean which one?
CI: Which one? I did four different ones, and I don't know... I haven't seem
them all. I've only seen one. or two so far.
CA: You "don't know what my involvement is in stuff"?
CI: Casey...
CA: Mom
CI: What?
CA: No
CI: I don't know what your involvement is, sweetheart. You're not telling me
where she's at.
CA: Because I don't ****ing know where she's at. Are you kidding me?
CI: Casey. Don't waste your call to scream and hollar at me.
CA: Waste my call? Sitting in, oh... the jail?
CI: Whose fault is you sitting in the jail. Are you blaming me that you're sitting
in the jail. Blame yourself(?) for telling lies. What do you mean its not your
fault? What do you mean its not your fault, sweetheart? If you'd have told them
the truth and not lied about everything they wouldn't...
CA: Do me a favor. Just tell me what Tony's number is. I don't want to talk to you
right now. Forget it.
CI: I don't have his number
CA: Uhm Well get it from Lee because I know Lee's at the house. I saw Mallory's car
was out front. It was just on the news, they just were live outside the house.
CI: I know they were
CA: Well?
CI: Well?
CA: Can you get Tony's number?

*pause, Cindy gives phone to Lee*

LA: Hey...?
CA: Hey. Can you give me Tony's number.
LA: I... I can do that. I don't know what... real good it's going to do you at this
point.
CA: Well, I'd like to talk to him anyway.
LA: Okay-
CA: Because I called to talk to my mother, and it... it's... it's a ****ing waste.
Oh, by the way, I don't want any of you coming up here when I have my... my first
appearance for bond and everything else. Like, don't even waste your time coming
up here.
LA: You know, you're having a real tough... you're making it real tough for anybody
to want to even assist you with giving you [Casey talks over, unintelligible]
Tony's phone number. You're not even letting me finish. I really-
CA: Go ahead
LA: First you're asking for Tony's phone number so you can call him. And then you
immediately want to start cussing towards me, and start saying don't even worry
about coming up here for all this stuff, and trying to cut us out.
CA: I'm not trying to cut anybody out.
LA: I'm not going around and around with you. You know? That's pretty pointless.
I'm not gonna go through... not going to put everybody else through the same
stuff you've been putting the police and everybody else through for the last
twenty-four hours, and the stuff you've been putting Mom through for the last
four or five weeks. I'm done with that. So, you can tell me what's going on.
Christina would love to talk to you 'cause she thinks you will tell her what's
going on. Frankly, we're gonna find out. Something - whatever's going on, it's
going to be found out. So why not do it now, save yourself [unint]
CA: There's nothing to find out. There's absolutely nothing to find out. That's even
what I told the detectives.
LA: Well, you know everything you've told them is a lie
CA: I have no clue where Caylee is. If I knew where Caylee was, do you think any of
this would be happening? No.
LA: Anyway, you've only got a couple of minutes of this. I'm not gonna let you clearly
waste it. Here's Christina. She thinks she can get through to you.
LA: No. No. I want Tony's number. I'm not talking to anybody else.

CX: Hello?
Ca: Hi. I'm glad everybody's at my house. I'll have to call you later, or I'll... have
to call somebody to get your number. Do me a favor and get my brother back because
I need Tony's number.
Fr: Okay.. Uhm, is there anything I can do for you?
CA: I'm sitting in jail. There's nothing that anybody can do right now.
Fr: Well, I'm just trying to be...
CA: Oh I know you are, honey. I absolutely know that you are, and I understand
everything that you're trying to do but uh, I'd like to call Tony. He's not
at my house, is he?
Fr: No, it's just me. And your parents. And Lee.
CA: Ok, well. Can you do me a favor and get my brother back, or get the number
from him please.
Fr: Uhm, Does Tony have anything to do with Caylee.
CA: No. [noticeable pause] Nothing.
fR: Ok, so why... do you want to talk to Tony?
CA: I...
FR: You probably don't want to tell me, do you?
CA: What did you.... I didn't hear what you said?
FR: I said did Tony have anything to do with Caylee.
CA: NO, Tony had nothing to do with Caylee.
FR: So why do you want to talk to him?
CA: Because he's my boyfriend. And I want to actually sit and talk to him. Because I didn't
get a chance to talk to him earlier. Because I got arrested on a ****ing whim today.
Because they're blaming me for stuff that I never would do, that I did not do.
** {1 - the Y in 'my' is very drawn out - 'myyyyyyyy'. Dunno why I hang on that, but I do}
FR: Well, I'm on nobod... I'm on your side, you know that, right?
CA: Oh honey, I know that. I want to talk to Tony, get a little bit of...
Fr: Casey. You have to tell me if you know anything about Caylee.
CA: Sweetheart, if I
Fr: If anything happens to Caylee, Casey, I'll die [crying] Do you understand? I'll die, if anything happens to...
CA: [breaking in] Oh well
Fr: that baby.
CA: Oh. My. God. Calling you guys? Waste, huge waste. Honey, I love you. You know I would not let anything happen to
my daughter.
Fr: Well, how come everybody's saying that you're lying?
CA: Because nobody's ****ing listening to anything that I'm saying. The media completely misconstrued everything that
I said. The ****ing detectives told them [?? pretty sure she says "****ing bull****"]. They got all of their
information from me, yet at the same time, they're twisting stuff. They're... they've already said they're going
to pin this on me if they don't find Caylee. They've already said that.
FR: Well.
CA: They arrested me because they said that...
Fr: Yea, because they said that the person you dropped Caylee with doesn't even exist.
CA: Because. Oh, look, they can't find her in the Florida database. [noticable pause] She's not just from FL. [noticable
pause] If they would actually listen to anything I would have said to them, they'd have had her [?? -"lease?"
"leads"?], they maybe could have tracked her down. They haven't listened to a ****ing thing I've said.
FR: Do you know that... Whoever has Caylee, nobody's going to get away with it. Nobody.
CA: I know nobody's going to get away with it. But at the same time, the only way they're going to find Caylee is if they
listen to what I'm saying. I'm trying to help them. They're not letting me help them.
FR: Well, how can I help them find her? The best thing you can do, baby, listen to me...
CA: They need... to look up her information in a NY database. In a NC database. Other places that she's lived outside of
Florida. That's what I told them even again today. I told them that four times today. I sat up at the police station-
the county police station from-
FR: Is she the one who has Caylee, or has she transferred Caylee to someone else?
CA: Honey, I haven't talked to her. I don't know. I haven't talked to her.
Fr: How come everybody's saying that you're not upset, that you're not crying, that you show no caring of where Caylee is
at all?
CA: Because I'm not sitting here ****ing crying every two seconds. Because I have to stay composed to... talk to detectives,
to... make other phone calls, to do other things. I can't sit here and be crying every two seconds like I want to. I can't.
FR: Okay, Casey. Don't yell at me. I'm on your side. I'm on your...
CA: [Unint. "No, you're not?"]. I know you're on my side
FR: Trust me. Nobody is saying anything bad about you. Your family is with you 100%
CA: No they're not. That's ****ing bull**** cause I just watched the ****ing news and heard everything my mom said. Nobody in my
own family is on my side.
FR: Yes they are. Nobody has said
CA: They just want Caylee back. That's all they're worried about right now, is getting Caylee back. And you know what? That's all
I care about right now.
FR: Casey. Your daughter. ["Your"? "They're"?] your flesh and blood. Your baby girl...
CA: Christina. Please, put my brother back on the phone. I don't want to get into this right now with you. I love you honey, and
I'm glad that you're there. Thanks for you help. I will let you know if there's anything that you can do.
FR: You can't tell me anybody that can find Caylee? Nobody?
CA: No. Because every number that I've tried, every number that I've called is disconnected. Nothing. I can't get ahold of anybody.
FR: But that, that girl was the last person to have her?
CA: She was the last person to have her. That was the last time I saw Caylee.
FR: Ok. Lee says he doesn't have Tony's phone number.
CA: Yes he does. He has Tony's phone number in his phone. He needs to stop ****ing lying. He just told me that he's not going to go
give me the number
FR: So if I go and get you Tony's number, are you going to finish talking to me?
CA: I... I will call you tomorrow. I want to talk to him really quick now, and I want to actually try to close my eyes. I haven't
slept in four days. I have not slept in four days.
FR: Listen. If you're going to talk to anybody, you can talk to me. You know that.
CA: I know I can talk to you. But at the same time, I know I can talk to Tony, and that's who I want to talk to right now. I haven't
gotten a chance to talk to him since this morning since all this stuff happened. With trying to set up the MySpace -I made the
Myspace, and [unint]
FR: Do you know the password to that Myspace?
CA: I made all of it!
FR: What's the password to that MySpace so we can see if anyone's wrote in any leads of where Caylee may be.
CA: You can go online and see it. As far as messages, I don't know if anybody's going to be messaging stuff. The pass [inaudible,
edited out in tape]

[Christina confirms the pass, you can hear Lee in the background but not clearly all the time. He asks Christina to hold on one second]
[for him. PURELY SPECULATION on my part, but I feel as if he is writing things down and trying to get Christina to ask them, rather than]
[letting Casey hear him ask Christina certain things]

FR: Ok, um. Tony's number. You ready?
CA: Yea
FR: [inaudible, edited out in tape]. Can Tony tell me anything?
CA: Baby, Tony doesn't know anything. And I haven't even talked to him since this morning.
FR: Has Tony seen Caylee?
CA: Tony hasn't seen Caylee since the beginning of June. What was the number again? I will
find a way to call you back later. Leave your number at my house with my mom so I can get
it. And I will either call you later tonight or in the morning [<- not sure if it was 'in the morning' exactly, but it was close*]
FR: How can I get ahold of you?
CA: Uhm, I'm at the jail - you can't.
FR: Okay. Can you... do you have a way to write my phone number down?
CA: No. I have no way of writing it down. I have to remember Tony's number. [unint] try to memorize his number right now.
FR: Ok
CA: No. I. Just leave your number with my mom, and I will try to call you in the morning if I don't get a chance to call you tonight.
FR: So. How can I find out the information about that girl? Is that in Florida, or...
CA: Have them look up a NY license for a Zenaida Fernandez Hyphen Gonzalez. They've just been looking up the last name Gonzalez or the
last name Fernandez, If they'd look up her entire name, they might actually find her. They haven't done that. They haven't listened
to anything I've said.
[spelling of Zenaida is clarified, full name is repeated 2x]
FR: Where does she live? Because they went and looked at her place-
CA: Christina, baby, you're not telling me anything I don't already know. Again, I only been in jail since ohhh, about eight-thirty
tonight. I was with them all day today. I know that. I was with officers pretty much since nine o'clock last night up until today.
Like, up until this evening when I came up here.
FR: But you're telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth? 'cause they'll find-
CA: [unint] have no clue where my daughter is. Yea, that is the truth. That is the absolute truth
FR: They'll find out. And whoever-
CA: oK, Christina. I'm hanging up. I need to make this other call before I forget the number. So I will call you later.
FR: OK
CA: Bye

Great job on this! Thanks a lot!

Regarding the place where she was asking for Tony's number and she stretched out the "my-y-y-y" - I thought she was hesitating as to how she was going to describe their relationship, and then chose the word "boyfriend".
As in "he's my-y-y-y......... boyfriend".

Listening to her speech patterns and listening to the interactions between her and her mother and most especially, her brother, this young woman sounds to me like she has long standing mental illness problems. The brother makes the statement that he's not going to "go around and around with her" (or words to that effect) - meaning he's had the experience of being in coversations with her that did "go around and around".

Casey states to the girlfried Christine that she (Casey) "has not slept for 4 days". Casey is a practiced liar, adept at providing "proof" of her statements - such as providing non-existent names of a boss and co-workers,
details of a non-existent job including a non-existant office and telephone extension.

Bi-polar disorder? Schizo-affective disorder?

Family members who have been close to Casey for many years know exactly what her behavioral patterns are and have been. They most probably don't know what to believe of what she says.

I do think it is a shame that police released the tapes of the jailhouse conversations, because if they hadn't done so, she may have eventually spilled some information to either a family member or a friend during another conversation.

What good reason did police have for releasing the recordings?

Wow, you did do an awesome job on the transcribing of that!!! Her tone in that phone call is a very familiar tone to me, as I have a very close longtime friend who is a habitual liar, my friend is bi-polar and a hypochondriac. Of course I am not saying Casey is the same (I'm not a dr. so i can't say that), I'm just saying those pauses and the dragging out of some words are very familiar to me.

at least you got the part right about closing her eyes, people keep going off on tangents about tracking down this Mike person - there is no Mike that she wanted to call, she never said that.

..............snip

I do think it is a shame that police released the tapes of the jailhouse conversations, because if they hadn't done so, she may have eventually spilled some information to either a family member or a friend during another conversation.

What good reason did police have for releasing the recordings?

I don't think LE had a choice. I read somewhere (don't have a link) that all these calls are public property and that the news media can request them. I got the impression that the media has to pay some type of fee to obtain them.

Reading gen discussion #18, curiositycat says something that sets the bells and whistles off for me about about the 'myyyyy'. S/he's talking about Tony and Casey, and says 'She was way more into him then he was into her'.

When I was younger, I used to have a friend who had huge issues with self-esteem. She'd get these really screwed up boyfriends [stupid druggies or suburban 'gangstas', who looked like rat terriers, you know] and each one was a prize, somehow godlike in her mind. She'd draw their names out like that when she spoke of them, and use the same godawful 'myyyyy'. I can't articulate what I'm thinking, but something about it ... reminds me of a house cat who has just made a kill.

Posted via Mobile Device
Here is my take on Casey needing to call Tony after she was in jail. Casey wanted to talk to Tony to tell him she had nothing to do with Caylee going missing. I have been around this kind of person who thinks that as long as they can say they did not do it, then they are 100% believed and accepted and then everything is okay.

Fr: If anything happens to Caylee, Casey, I'll die [crying] Do you understand? I'll die, if anything happens to...
CA: Oh. My. God. Calling you guys? Waste, huge waste. Honey, I love you. You know I would not let anything happen to
my daughter.

I have to comment that I am floored by Caseys reaction to her friends concern for Caylee. To reply with "Oh Well" and Oh (long pause) My (long pause)God.... to her friends tears and emotion over Caylees well being shows me Casey is completely detached from her daughter and void of emotion for her daughter. It makes me ill. This girl can't even FAKE emotion for her daughter. Seems the new boyfriend, maybe someone not so interested in kids? may have been the catalyst to set this scenario off with getting rid of Caylee.

That Cubby and this also floored me....

FR: Casey. Your daughter. ["Your"? "They're"?] your flesh and blood. Your baby girl...
CA: Christina. Please, put my brother back on the phone. I don't want to get into this right now with you. I love you honey, and
I'm glad that you're there. Thanks for you help. I will let you know if there's anything that you can do.

Me too Christine, that she doesn't want to get into this right now. If it were me and my child..... I'd have a hard time talking through sobbing and BEGGING my friends and family to do absolutely everything in their power to find my son. Not to mention I would have had that same hard time while talking with LE.

I'm curious why she doesn't already know her boyfriend's phone number. It's irrelevant, but still makes me curious.

cell phone culture.

get a number, put it in your cell phone, never dial it again. just select the person's name from a menu. and many young people these days always have their cell with them and always use it.

I recently went back and actually listened to this phone call and was floored by how cold and callous she was concerning Caylee, but reading it in black and white? That is a REAL shocker. I hope they hand a transcript of this call to the jury when they are doing their deliberations! My God she is heartless, utterly without a soul!

Very enlightening to read this again in light of the latest motion to dismiss, isn't it?

Thanks for dragging this out of mothballs! It's an oldie, but a goodie! The famous "Oh well..." recording. That and "arrested on a effin whim today". UNBELIEVABLE.

I'm not so sure that this can be introduced at trial. Is it evidence of anything other than her snotty attitude, total disrespect for everyone and her entitlement issues? These are all things she's guilty of, but she hasn't been charged with them.

my daughter.

I have to comment that I am floored by Caseys reaction to her friends concern for Caylee. To reply with "Oh Well" and Oh (long pause) My (long pause)God.... to her friends tears and emotion over Caylees well being shows me Casey is completely detached from her daughter and void of emotion for her daughter. It makes me ill. This girl can't even FAKE emotion for her daughter. Seems the new boyfriend, maybe someone not so interested in kids? may have been the catalyst to set this scenario off with getting rid of Caylee.

From everything we've heard, it would appear that Casey was a lot more serious about the relationship with Tony than he was. He impresses me as being a young college kid, living for the present, with no thoughts of any long term relationship with a girl. Like most young twenty-somethings, he wasn't ready for any sort of commitment. During their brief relationship, Tony evidently stated that when he married and had children, he only wanted boys not girls. That statement alone could have been the catalyst for Caylee's demise.

While Casey was thinking in terms of a serious relationship and marriage, Tony was only thinking in terms of a brief fling.

edited to add (because I lost my train of thought)...............I thought Casey's reaction to Christina's honest emotion, incredibly cold and callus, a real indication of a heartless sociapath. There was also anger in Casey's reaction, as if she was angry that Caylee, and not her, was the focus. For Casey, that whole phone call had only one goal, and that was getting Tony's phone number. She needed to "set him straight" about what had happened.............Tony was much more important to her than the loss of Caylee.

I recently went back and actually listened to this phone call and was floored by how cold and callous she was concerning Caylee, but reading it in black and white? That is a REAL shocker. I hope they hand a transcript of this call to the jury when they are doing their deliberations! My God she is heartless, utterly without a soul!

I agree............I think the jury should listen to the audio of this phone call, and then have the written transcription. This phone call might be an important part during the sentencing phase.

Thanks for transcribing. It brings it all back in such a rush of emotion!

I think the jury might hear this as evidence that she did name Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzales as the last person she saw Caylee with, and not just to the police whom she "didn't trust."

Plus ITA that it would nail her in the sentencing phase.

I went to sleep with this in my heart. How could any mother react this way when her child was missing and she had no clue what was happening to her or even if she was still alive? I think this one phone call goes a long long way to showing Casey Anthony's TRUEST colors.

What caring mother is so unconcerned over her own child? So what if she had already had 31 or more days to "get used" to Caylee being gone? It was brand new information to everyone else and she had no feelings, none whatsoever, nor compassion, for those who ACTUALLY cared about Caylee...

The friend crying and her reaction? Enough to make me vomit almost!!!

It's so strange to listen to this call all over again after all these months...I tried to think about what my call home might sound like if I were in the same situation - and I can only imagine that I would be blubbering and begging my family to get out of that house and go searching. I would be throwing out every possibility...every place they might check...every person who might know anything.

It sounds to me like Casey didn't want to think about Caylee at all and the reason she kept getting irritated, especially at the friend, is because she kept being reminded of her. I think it was easy for Casey to put Caylee out of her mind, and she was doing so quite successfully, and then it filled her with rage that the others kept talking about Caylee.

How is it possible for a MOTHER to behave this way? Sometimes I am unable to wrap my head around certain people and their behavior...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahlm8627
Back