1045 users online (201 members and 844 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Were the lights on in the basement?

Does anyone know if the lights were on in the basement when the police and guests arrived shortly after 6am on the 26th.

On forums for justice I found a reference to them being on. On Cutter's site, it says they were not on.
    I'm just playing detective here. I have no idea who killed JonBenet. It's just an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrishope View Post
    Does anyone know if the lights were on in the basement when the police and guests arrived shortly after 6am on the 26th.

On forums for justice I found a reference to them being on. On Cutter's site, it says they were not on.
    Everything I have read about the case reported them on in the basement.
    "Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance."~ Plato
    ~The above reflects only my opinion...

Thank you. Anyone second that?
    I'm just playing detective here. I have no idea who killed JonBenet. It's just an opinion.

I don't know who turned on the lights in the basement.

This is a chronological list of people who entered the basement after the 911 call:

Officer French
    Fleet White
    Officer Reichenbacher
    John Ramsey
    Fleet White and John Ramsey

If indeed Officer French was the first to go down into the basement....wouldn't he have looked for the light switch? Did he search the basement with just his flashlight? Did Fleet White turn on the lights?

As you well know, the lightswitch to the basement was in an odd place....the wall directly behind the door leading to the basement...

My theory is that the lights were already on before anyone arrived.
    ...We have said to ourselves, look, there is never going to be a victory in this, there is no victory...John Ramsey: 6/24/98

That is what I think as well, T.

They were on in the basement, but not the room JB was found in. Thus the confusion.
    I'm as mad as HELL and I'm NOT gonna take it anymore!.

In the Federal Witness Protection Program
    Hmmm. Anyone ever see this issue addressed anywhere? Any LE ever question the Rs about why the lights were on and who turned them on?
    Did the Rs ever try to say that the "intruder" must have left them on?
    We know a neighbor reported seeing "strange moving lights" around the kitchen, which are generally presumed to be someone walking around with the flashlight. But the basement also had windows in most areas and I don't recall anyone saying they saw lights on there.
    THIS time, we get it RIGHT!

This post is my constitutionally-protected opinion. Please do not copy or take it anywhere else.

I don't remember reading that the lights were on. I do remember the light switch to the room JB was in was in an awkward location. If the basement light was on, was it on when Officer French arrived? Or was that even noted?

I always assumed the strange moving lights the neighbor saw was the flashlight. Which brings up another question lights would be more than one and if each of the parents used a flashlight where is the other one?
    ~ Friends are kisses blown to us by angels. ~

Do we know the times of:

neighbors seeing 'strange lights'

the scream

the grate sound

Quote Originally Posted by LI_Mom View Post
    Do we know the times of:

neighbors seeing 'strange lights'

the scream

the grate sound

As far as I remember, those were all "reported" to be around or after midnight...? I think the later retracted story of "the scream" and "the grate" were they were heard around 1 am, because that came to be a time often discussed as possibly the TOD long ago. It also fits with the digestion of the pineapple, if JonBenet ate it after the Ramseys returned home.

This "strange lights in the house" story presents a problem for me. If no neighbors "noticed" any lights in the home turned on sometime that night, that doesn't mean they weren't. On the other hand, "someone" moving about the house with a flashlight would seem certainly to be someone involved in the murder.

The neighbor who reported seeing the "strange lights" also said the "usual lights" on in the home were not on that night. So either the Ramseys didn't turn them on for some reason, turned them off for some reason, or someone ELSE turned them off for some reason.

I honestly can't remember now who turned on the basement lights when friends/LE got there. Gosh, good questions. Y'all are just going to FORCE me to go back and read these books yet again, aren't you?

By the way, hey, Toltec. Long time....

Quote Originally Posted by KoldKase View Post
    As far as I remember, those were all "reported" to be around or after midnight...? I think the later retracted story of "the scream" and "the grate" were they were heard around 1 am, because that came to be a time often discussed as possibly the TOD long ago. It also fits with the digestion of the pineapple, if JonBenet ate it after the Ramseys returned home.

This "strange lights in the house" story presents a problem for me. If no neighbors "noticed" any lights in the home turned on sometime that night, that doesn't mean they weren't. On the other hand, "someone" moving about the house with a flashlight would seem certainly to be someone involved in the murder.

The neighbor who reported seeing the "strange lights" also said the "usual lights" on in the home were not on that night. So either the Ramseys didn't turn them on for some reason, turned them off for some reason, or someone ELSE turned them off for some reason.

I honestly can't remember now who turned on the basement lights when friends/LE got there. Gosh, good questions. Y'all are just going to FORCE me to go back and read these books yet again, aren't you?
    Thanks, KK.

I suppose it doesn't do much good to ask the Ramseys what lights they usually left on during the night & what lights they left on that night.... they'd just claim the pineapple shut them off. lol

If the basement lights were on, shouldn't the neighbors have noticed them on when they heard the scream/grate?

By morning & the 911 call.... we already know the Ramseys are awake & suffering from CRS.

Did John admit to going downstairs BEFORE French did?

Join me! Took out the old pens, notebooks and books on the case and have been obcessed again. Hubby and kids are shaking their heads, saying you know the odds you guys areup against, but hey, as long as there is hope..."If there's a will there's a way."

By the way, hey, Toltec. Long time....
    Right back atcha!

Officer French directed the Ramseys to the sunroom. He looked at the ransom letter. He went down to the basement looking for points of entry. No way he could have found the lightswitch....so did he search the basement only by means of his flashlight?

What about the next person going down....Reichenbach or Fleet White? If it were Fleet White, I assume he would know where the switch was because he would go down to the basement to fetch some wine in the wine cellar.

If it was Officer Reichenbach, did he also search the basement using just a flashlight?

Nothing has been revealed about lights in the basement...nothing.
    ...We have said to ourselves, look, there is never going to be a victory in this, there is no victory...John Ramsey: 6/24/98

Thanks, Toltec. Now I feel better about not knowing the answer to that question!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast