1113 users online (220 members and 893 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Could your granite counter tops be killing you?

Granite emits radon, the second leading cause of lung cancer! This article really surprised me! Read the whole article if you get a chance.

What’s Lurking in Your Countertop?

Article Tools Sponsored By
    By KATE MURPHY
    Published: July 24, 2008

SHORTLY before Lynn Sugarman of Teaneck, N.J., bought her summer home in Lake George, N.Y., two years ago, a routine inspection revealed it had elevated levels of radon, a radioactive gas that can cause lung cancer. So she called a radon measurement and mitigation technician to find the source.

TESTING Reports of granite emitting high levels of radon and radiation are increasing.

DETECTION Using devices like the Geiger counter and the radiation detection instrument Stanley Liebert measures the radiation and radon emanating from granite like that in Lynn Sugarman’s kitchen counters.

“He went from room to room,” said Dr. Sugarman, a pediatrician. But he stopped in his tracks in the kitchen, which had richly grained cream, brown and burgundy granite countertops. His Geiger counter indicated that the granite was emitting radiation at levels 10 times higher than those he had measured elsewhere in the house.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...prod=permalink

Liz is offline I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
    Hi, Anngelique!

Thanks for posting this!

You're welcome. Scary, huh?

Could your granite counter tops be killing you?

Granite emits radon, the second leading cause of lung cancer! This article really surprised me! Read the whole article if you get a chance.

What’s Lurking in Your Countertop?

Article Tools Sponsored By
    By KATE MURPHY
    Published: July 24, 2008

SHORTLY before Lynn Sugarman of Teaneck, N.J., bought her summer home in Lake George, N.Y., two years ago, a routine inspection revealed it had elevated levels of radon, a radioactive gas that can cause lung cancer. So she called a radon measurement and mitigation technician to find the source.

TESTING Reports of granite emitting high levels of radon and radiation are increasing.

DETECTION Using devices like the Geiger counter and the radiation detection instrument Stanley Liebert measures the radiation and radon emanating from granite like that in Lynn Sugarman’s kitchen counters.

“He went from room to room,” said Dr. Sugarman, a pediatrician. But he stopped in his tracks in the kitchen, which had richly grained cream, brown and burgundy granite countertops. His Geiger counter indicated that the granite was emitting radiation at levels 10 times higher than those he had measured elsewhere in the house.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...prod=permalink

Well, that is a bit unnerving...but gosh...seems that cell phones cause brain cancer and everywhere you turn...more causes for cancer pop up. We can't avoid it altogether. Marble could probably pose the same hazard and look at our courthouses filled with them! It seems like we would be less a lot of defense attorneys if it were the case. Hmmm...

By the way, the link didn't work.
    "WE SEEK FOR THE TRUTH. WE SEEK JUSTICE.
    THE COURTS REQUIRE IT. THE VICTIMS CRY FOR IT
    AND GOD DEMANDS IT!"

A quote spray painted on the wall by search
    and rescue workers, Team 5, at the OKC Bombing site 4-19-1995.

What I post are my opinions only.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    Thank you Liz for making the link work!

Seriously, you crack me up!

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    Yikes!

Good thing I have crappy old Formica!
    Just thinkin' out loud....

You're welcome, Anngelique. Seriously, these granite countertops concern me. But so do many others products we use in our daily lives. I guess you gotta go somehow though!

Quote Originally Posted by hipmamajen View Post
    Yikes!

Good thing I have crappy old Formica!

That cracked me up, jen! lol!

That's amazing. We were thinking of getting a granite table for our dining room. I wish there was a way to test it first!

I just read the article from the study by a Rice University professor. There were several comments about it from the readers; namely that the kind of cell damage that was predicted wouldn't necessarily occur for various reasons, it doesn't happen that way. Has to do with ventilation and other biology issues.

Which makes sense, because the professor didn't study people in the granite industry who would have been exposed to much higher levels by working daily with the stones.

Instead he studied 55 samples of stones themselves.

Another reader commented that the more radioactive rocks were the ones with the striation, or movement. The most common and least expensive granites have the least "movement."

Bottom line, this study was funded probably by the synthetic countertop companies...since the importation of inexpensive granite from Brazil and other countries, they've been eating their lunch on sales.

Hi Anngelique, it's so good to see you! I know I've been MIA, the summer if flying by ~ ~ ~

Fastinating article, fortunately for me, I've got the cheap stuff....
    Check out updated daily: Tricia's Tidbits

Some days I feel like a tumbleweed blowing in the wind....

Thank you, Anngelique!

Anngelique - thank you so much for posting this thread. And to Liz .. much appreciation for adding the accessible link! Very thoughtful!

My sis & BIL in L.A. have a huge kitchen with massive areas of granite countertops. Add to that 4 bathroom & lavatory areas, bar area in game room, laundry room and pool bar entertainment area - all with granite installed. Yee-gads - radon! Who knew!!

Anyway - I just copied the entire article from the NY Times link & sent it to her. So glad the article published "tester" info & links.

Thanks so much for the heads-up.

Rummy
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."

Rum Tum Tugger

Hi everyone!

Is granite the same stuff that tomb stones are made out of?
    Joann thank you for showing me all the beautiful things in this world especially yourself!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast