Could your granite counter tops be killing you?

Anngelique

Reaction score
Granite emits radon, the second leading cause of lung cancer! This article really surprised me! Read the whole article if you get a chance.

What’s Lurking in Your Countertop?

Article Tools Sponsored By
By KATE MURPHY
Published: July 24, 2008

SHORTLY before Lynn Sugarman of Teaneck, N.J., bought her summer home in Lake George, N.Y., two years ago, a routine inspection revealed it had elevated levels of radon, a radioactive gas that can cause lung cancer. So she called a radon measurement and mitigation technician to find the source.

TESTING Reports of granite emitting high levels of radon and radiation are increasing.

DETECTION Using devices like the Geiger counter and the radiation detection instrument Stanley Liebert measures the radiation and radon emanating from granite like that in Lynn Sugarman’s kitchen counters.

“He went from room to room,” said Dr. Sugarman, a pediatrician. But he stopped in his tracks in the kitchen, which had richly grained cream, brown and burgundy granite countertops. His Geiger counter indicated that the granite was emitting radiation at levels 10 times higher than those he had measured elsewhere in the house.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/g...5c&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

Hi, Anngelique! :)

Thanks for posting this!

Granite emits radon, the second leading cause of lung cancer! This article really surprised me! Read the whole article if you get a chance.

What’s Lurking in Your Countertop?

Article Tools Sponsored By
By KATE MURPHY
Published: July 24, 2008

SHORTLY before Lynn Sugarman of Teaneck, N.J., bought her summer home in Lake George, N.Y., two years ago, a routine inspection revealed it had elevated levels of radon, a radioactive gas that can cause lung cancer. So she called a radon measurement and mitigation technician to find the source.

TESTING Reports of granite emitting high levels of radon and radiation are increasing.

DETECTION Using devices like the Geiger counter and the radiation detection instrument Stanley Liebert measures the radiation and radon emanating from granite like that in Lynn Sugarman’s kitchen counters.

“He went from room to room,” said Dr. Sugarman, a pediatrician. But he stopped in his tracks in the kitchen, which had richly grained cream, brown and burgundy granite countertops. His Geiger counter indicated that the granite was emitting radiation at levels 10 times higher than those he had measured elsewhere in the house.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/ga...prod=permalink

Well, that is a bit unnerving...but gosh...seems that cell phones cause brain cancer and everywhere you turn...more causes for cancer pop up. We can't avoid it altogether. Marble could probably pose the same hazard and look at our courthouses filled with them! It seems like we would be less a lot of defense attorneys if it were the case. Hmmm...

By the way, the link didn't work.

Yikes!

Good thing I have crappy old Formica! ;)

You're welcome, Anngelique. Seriously, these granite countertops concern me. But so do many others products we use in our daily lives. I guess you gotta go somehow though!

That's amazing. We were thinking of getting a granite table for our dining room. I wish there was a way to test it first!

I just read the article from the study by a Rice University professor. There were several comments about it from the readers; namely that the kind of cell damage that was predicted wouldn't necessarily occur for various reasons, it doesn't happen that way. Has to do with ventilation and other biology issues.

Which makes sense, because the professor didn't study people in the granite industry who would have been exposed to much higher levels by working daily with the stones.

Instead he studied 55 samples of stones themselves.

Another reader commented that the more radioactive rocks were the ones with the striation, or movement. The most common and least expensive granites have the least "movement."

Bottom line, this study was funded probably by the synthetic countertop companies...since the importation of inexpensive granite from Brazil and other countries, they've been eating their lunch on sales.

Hi Anngelique, it's so good to see you! :blowkiss: I know I've been MIA, the summer if flying by ~ ~ ~

Fastinating article, fortunately for me, I've got the cheap stuff....:)

Anngelique - thank you so much for posting this thread. And to Liz .. much appreciation for adding the accessible link! Very thoughtful! :blowkiss:

My sis & BIL in L.A. have a huge kitchen with massive areas of granite countertops. Add to that 4 bathroom & lavatory areas, bar area in game room, laundry room and pool bar entertainment area - all with granite installed. Yee-gads - radon! Who knew!! :confused:

Anyway - I just copied the entire article from the NY Times link & sent it to her. So glad the article published "tester" info & links.

Thanks so much for the heads-up. :wave:

Rummy :cat:

Hi everyone!

Is granite the same stuff that tomb stones are made out of?

Hi everyone!

Is granite the same stuff that tomb stones are made out of?
Yes I believe some are.
The grit that I give my chicks is granite, too. Can't wait to see the eggs after a couple months of that stuff.
Also the potassium fertilizer used by organic produce growers is usually granite dust. There's no escape!:crazy:

Who knows what's going to show up when the houses are sold and the houses are tested for Radon levels? Sure, they may be safe for consumer use, but that's not the same thing as the little guy who comes out and does the Radon testings when you want to sell your gorgeous house with the magnificent slabs of granite countertops and flooring.

Some states have mandatory radon testing before a house can be listed in the MLS system. I think if one state calls for it, they all should have the same mandatory restrictions.

I guess what it really comes down to is have a good radon detector in your house. I know I want to get one. I think it could be invaluable. I have a good friend right now that is a contractor and he's never smoked a day in his life but has lung cancer. They are wondering if radon was the culprit. He's gone through chemo, radiation and had almost half his lung removed.

Hey TG! I've been wondering where you've been hiding. Yeah, I have the cheap stuff too but I hope one day to have granite. But you can also use quartz and cement and corian and other types of materials for gorgeous countertops. Like I mentioned at the other thread, I think a good radon detector is what's most important.

Is there a way to combine these two threads? I don't want to delete now after your replies because I don't want the replies to go poof. Oh well... I'm kind of naive about these things.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back