OK - Obstetrician Arrested On Molestation Accusations

SeriouslySearching

Reaction score
Posted: July 27, 2008 05:29 PM CDT

A Tulsa doctor stands accused of molesting a 6-year-old girl. Dr. Kirk Smith is an obstetrician with the SouthCrest Medical Group. He was arrested on Saturday, released on $200,000 bond and now SouthCrest has suspended him. Dr. Smith is accused of molesting his own step-daughter.

~snip~

According to an affidavit, the boys told police Smith complained about them coming downstairs on Saturday morning to look for the 6-year-old girl.

The 10-year-old said in that report the master bedroom had been locked that morning. Police say he told them 45 minutes later, the 6-year-old girl came out of that bedroom upset.

The affidavit reports the brother asked the 6-year-old what was wrong and she told him Smith was doing bad things to her.

The girl's brother told his friend that a similar incident happened two weeks ago. The friend called his own father and the father reported the allegations to police.

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=8743036

Bixby Police arrested Dr. Kirk Smith on lewd molestation and sodomy charges.

~snip~

This comment was left under the story:

bixbymom7
8:26 pm on 07/27/08 Former Doctor Smith was my daghter and grandson's physician. She had complained to me that he made her uncomfortable by making inappropriate comments. Our prayers go out to that poor little baby and her family. God bless.

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0708/539098.html

Bravo to these young men, and bravo to that boy's father for not dismissing what his son told him! And what a great big brother NOT to look the other way when his sister was being hurt.

Perverts need to be put in hell to burn for eternity....

Bravo to these young men, and bravo to that boy's father for not dismissing what his son told him! And what a great big brother NOT to look the other way when his sister was being hurt.

Perverts need to be put in hell to burn for eternity....

i agree, the fact that two 10 year old boys took this so seriously is amazing

Here's another case where the kids stood up and told. The legal system isn't protecting our children so it's up to the parents to educate these kids. I think it's working.

Poor little baby girl. Doctor, cop, Priest, tax man, garbage collecter. It don't matter. Doc Smith needs to be locked up.

Here is something someone dug up and posted following one of the articles:

PROFESSIONAL ISSUES
By Damon Adams, AMNews staff. Jan. 31, 2005.
----------
The Iowa Board of Medical Examiners wants the Iowa Supreme Court to resolve a dispute over when to publicly disclose allegations against a physician.
The medical board last month appealed the ruling of Polk County District Judge Joel D. Novak ordering the board to stop disclosing information related to a physician's case until its final disposition.

The case involves Kirk M. Smith, MD, who

applied to the board for an Iowa medical license in July 2001, court records show. Without a hearing, the board denied Dr. Smith's request for a license, citing concerns about allegations that he had touched patients improperly while in a residency program in Missouri, records said.
Michael Sellers, Dr. Smith's attorney, said the allegations were unsubstantiated.
Dr. Smith then requested a hearing, which the board granted. After the hearing, the board issued Dr. Smith a restricted license. He asked the board to remove the pre-hearing denial of his license from its Web site, but the board refused.
Sellers said Dr. Smith now works in a residency program, but he declined to say where.
In November 2004, Judge Novak ruled that only information from a final decision by the board should be made public.
"That's the point where it just makes sense for the public to be

Here is something someone dug up and posted following one of the articles:

PROFESSIONAL ISSUES
By Damon Adams, AMNews staff. Jan. 31, 2005.
----------
The Iowa Board of Medical Examiners wants the Iowa Supreme Court to resolve a dispute over when to publicly disclose allegations against a physician.
The medical board last month appealed the ruling of Polk County District Judge Joel D. Novak ordering the board to stop disclosing information related to a physician's case until its final disposition.

The case involves Kirk M. Smith, MD, who

applied to the board for an Iowa medical license in July 2001, court records show. Without a hearing, the board denied Dr. Smith's request for a license, citing concerns about allegations that he had touched patients improperly while in a residency program in Missouri, records said.
Michael Sellers, Dr. Smith's attorney, said the allegations were unsubstantiated.
Dr. Smith then requested a hearing, which the board granted. After the hearing, the board issued Dr. Smith a restricted license. He asked the board to remove the pre-hearing denial of his license from its Web site, but the board refused.
Sellers said Dr. Smith now works in a residency program, but he declined to say where.
In November 2004, Judge Novak ruled that only information from a final decision by the board should be made public.
"That's the point where it just makes sense for the public to be

Good find, T. For the love of all things medical ethics this guy has been doing this then for years and to patients.

Wow! So the Medical community has been covering up for him all along knowing full well what he was doing to patients! I think the woman who said he was making inappropriate comments needs to sue him! She has all the proof she needs to back it up in black and white!

Where did you say you found this posted?!

Accused Doctor Has Questionable Past

During his residency in Missouri nine years ago, four female patients came forward with allegations of sexual misconduct, including groping and performing exams without a chaperone. He was asked to leave the residency.

Seven years ago he picked up his family practice residency in Iowa, but was only given a restricted license. When he got his Oklahoma license five years ago, he had a clean slate.

His medical records show no history of disciplinary action.

~snip~

Child abuse investigators interviewed a little girl Monday afternoon who says her stepfather, who is also a Tulsa doctor, repeatedly abused her. The News On 6 has also learned there is record of medical misconduct from Dr. Kirk Smith's past, but the girl's mother says her husband would never molest their kids.

~snip~

The News On 6 spoke to Dr Smith's wife at her home Monday afternoon. She would not go on-camera, but she says the allegations against her husband are lies. She says that her 6-year-old daughter's initial statements have been manipulated by the friend and by police and that the truth will soon come that her husband is innocent.

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=8748658 (Bolded by me)

Accused Doctor Has Questionable Past

During his residency in Missouri nine years ago, four female patients came forward with allegations of sexual misconduct, including groping and performing exams without a chaperone. He was asked to leave the residency.

Seven years ago he picked up his family practice residency in Iowa, but was only given a restricted license. When he got his Oklahoma license five years ago, he had a clean slate.

His medical records show no history of disciplinary action.

~snip~

Child abuse investigators interviewed a little girl Monday afternoon who says her stepfather, who is also a Tulsa doctor, repeatedly abused her. The News On 6 has also learned there is record of medical misconduct from Dr. Kirk Smith's past, but the girl's mother says her husband would never molest their kids.

~snip~

The News On 6 spoke to Dr Smith's wife at her home Monday afternoon. She would not go on-camera, but she says the allegations against her husband are lies. She says that her 6-year-old daughter's initial statements have been manipulated by the friend and by police and that the truth will soon come that her husband is innocent.

:furious::furious::furious::furious::furious: STUPID STUPID WOMAN! She just chose her rich husband over her own daughter and son!! STUPID! She doesn't deserve those children...either one of them!! The son did absolutely the right thing and so did his friend!!! Thank GOD someone was trying to protect her child...because it certainly was not her!! GRRRR!

I wish mothers like this we're tried and convicted along with these perverts... Lies?!? Instead of the "it's better to be safe than sorry" she would continue throwing her daughter to the wolf? Gawd, she makes me sick.

There's all kinds of information in the "Comments" section after that first article--nearly 300 posts:
http://www.topix.net/forum/source/kotv/T2I2AOC52TLBJ7FRH
That's where I got the 'inappropriate w/patients' story.
Some posters are patients who say he was good; some are patients who say he was creepy; some are from co-workers who say he was mega-creepy. (One describes him complimenting a woman on her *****, telling her it was still attractive, as she lay on the bed having just given birth.)
There are people who appear to know about his history from Missouri and Iowa; one mentions his license to practice being suspended in two states. Then there are two friends defending him. One says it's all the other boy's fault; he's 13, not 10, and did it as a prank. They say the physical exam showed no evidence of abuse, and the step-daughter's words were twisted around.
Someone else says he married a woman who already had kids of her own (another poster says around six), and was working a menial job.

During medical residency in Missouri four female patients filed complaints of sexual misconduct. This led to the Missouri Medical Board asking him to leave his residency.

Records show Smith spent 16 months in treatment at a psychiatric center...

He was then granted a restricted license in Iowa for his residency.

In 2003 the Oklahoma Medical Board required Smith get a mental evaluation, where he was cleared for a residency license.

In 2006 he was granted a full medical license to practice with no restrictions in the state of Oklahoma.

http://www.kjrh.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=1a2545c2-bf7c-434e-9c11-e58c3fbd99c1 (Bolded by me)

How DARE the medical community cover up his past and allow him to practice as an Obstetrician in this state!! OMG! Not only did they not take precautions for the child in this case, they also put all those women in harm's way because they allowed it to be shuffled under the rug!! It makes me wonder if any of us really know our Doctors here!

It burns me even more his wife is taking up for him against her children!!! I am STILL just stunned by that. Her sweet little girl is going to read this someday and see those words out of her mother's mouth then know the money was more important to her than her own baby girl. It is heartbreaking!! What in the hell is this woman thinking?!?! These are her CHILDREN telling them that step-father with a known record for sexual deviation are being abused by him!! She needs to WISE UP and forget the money!

SS, How do you know his wife is taking up for him? I didn't see that in the article?

Child abuse investigators interviewed a little girl Monday afternoon who says her stepfather, who is also a Tulsa doctor, repeatedly abused her. The News On 6 has also learned there is record of medical misconduct from Dr. Kirk Smith's past, but the girl's mother says her husband would never molest their kids.~snip~

I would have to say this sounds to me like she is taking up for him.

Something else that bothers me about the wife sticking up for the husband ... the two boys who did the right thing by bringing the abuse of the little 6 yr old girl. Did this 'teach' them not to get involved when they see or hear about abuse?

How can that woman stick up for this creep? She has to know about his past! Women like that just make it so hard for victims of abuse!

How sad for all of the young people involed with these two freak adults!

The medical community was very negligent in this case!! Sweeping this under the rug and hiding it!!

Bravo to these young men, and bravo to that boy's father for not dismissing what his son told him! And what a great big brother NOT to look the other way when his sister was being hurt.....

I agree, MR - I am heartbroken for this little girl, of course, but the other males in her life really stood up. That's awesome and will carry her a LONG way towards healing.

Seems like mom does not believe her daughter was molested.

I hope she is charged with neglect for failing to protect her daughter. She is the type of woman who sits back and allows the abuse to happen just to keep her nice house and car and spa treatments.

Where are the other children? I hope not living with "mom" since she is pissed her meal ticket is in jail and you know she will spend days telling the boys they are liars and mistaken.

UGH!

According to the comments sections of some of the articles, this is the second marriage for him, both to young, not-well-off women with kids.

I suggest everybody check the state boards for their doctor's medical history. I did this awhile back and discovered one of my docs was on probation with a restricted license for cocaine addiction.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back