Two month old killed by family lab

IMO no dog should be left unsupervised with a baby, they can be attacked by a poodle! A playful puppy jumping up can do horrible damage. When will people get it? :(

VB

Omg I know that labs can have alot of energy, and if not taken out to run daily they could get rambunctious.

Omg I know that labs can have alot of energy, and if not taken out to run daily they could get rambunctious.

Labs get rambunctious yes, but they kiss babies, they don't harm them. I own one of the biggest Lab babies there is. There is more to this story than we are being told...

P.S. We don't take her out to run daily, but she forces us to play a lot of ball(fetch) in the house, LOL!

IMO no dog should be left unsupervised with a baby, they can be attacked by a poodle! A playful puppy jumping up can do horrible damage. When will people get it? :(

I totally agree.

I love dogs, I love my own dogs and I love other people's dogs. But I don't lose sight of the fact that they are animals, not tiny humans in furry outfits.

Although, come to think of it, maybe if people did think of dogs as being the mental equivalent of 18 month old toddlers with sharp scissors, they might be more careful. Who would turn a toddler loose in a room with a pair of sharp scissors and expect any good to come of it?

<sigh> Probably the same sort of parent who leaves a dog unsupervised with any child under around 8-10 years of age.

Yeah.Individual dogs have individual temperments too just like people.
Its just best to err on the side of caution.You cant be too careful when it comes to infants.

Two MONTH old baby left in a swing alone with a dog?! It said on our local news that no one even heard the attack.

A young puppy that mauled a two-month-old baby to death Monday morning has been put down. The incident happened shortly after 10 a.m. near 102nd Street South and Evanston. The six-week-old labrador dog mauled the child as the boy sat in a swing inside the home. Officers say the child was left alone in the swing.

~snip~

The dog was taken away by animal control officers and was later put down, a source tells NewsChannel 8. Another dog was inside the home at the time, and was also taken away by animal control officers. Three adults were also inside the home.

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0708/539313.html (Bolded by me)

GRRR!!! 3 STUPID adults were in that house!!!

The child's father was consoled by neighbors who gathered at the scene. The child's 17-year-old mother was visibly distraught. She was taken by ambulance to Saint Francis hospital to be checked out.

~snip~

"The parents were home. There were several people home, three people at the time of the incident, obviously that's part of the investigation to determine how this tragic event unfolded," said Tulsa Police Officer Jason Willingham.

Police are not sure how the baby was killed without the parents realizing it was happening. Police say the child was unattended in a baby swing for an undetermined amount of time. They were questioning the child's grandmother, who was also in the home.

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=8746561 (Bolded by me)

I could maybe see a grown dog doing this, but this was a six week old puppy. I would be investigating the other dog in the house.

I feel so bad for this baby and for the puppy (some what). The mother is awfully young but grandma was in the house and she should have known better. I can't imagine that they didn't hear the baby crying.

I agree with what was said about looking into the other dog in the house. I'm a first time dog owner and I know that if you don't train your puppy sometimes the playing can get a little rough. I wonder if that's what happened with this puppy.

Are charges being brought against the parents? Neglect maybe? The puppy was put down and he was a dog, he didn't know any better, the other dog was taken away and the two people that should have been taking care of that baby are not being charged?

not buying this story...these folks had an 8 week old in a baby swing??? With no one watching?

I mean we can theorize, maybe baby was colicky and they were used to it crying, but I think that this is just basically wrong...jmo.

A 6week old lab puppy? A 2 month old baby up in a swing?

I think there is more to this.

I don't know what to make of this. My golden at 6 weeks was an infant herself so I don't believe that part of it. She didn't have running down yet at that age. Something smells fishy.

I didn't think you were supposed to leave babies unattended in the swing at all, never mind how many people and dogs were in the house.

When my oldest was born, she spent a lot of time in the swing (she had reflux) but we were always in the room with her. My next 2 were born when she was 26 months, and they spent almost no time in the swings because the oldest tried to push them! She was just trying to make the swings "fun" for them, but that wasn't safe so we stopped it altogether.

I can't imagine believing the dogs were safe to be around the unattended baby in the swing, wasn't anyone thinking?

I wonder if the baby was actually laying on the floor or sofa where the puppy thought it was a toy. Maybe the baby was put into the swing after the fact. Either way, the mom and grandma were neglectful.

I'm picturing my dog at six weeks and I'm wondering how this could happen too. He wobbled and stumbled when he walked at six weeks. Of course if you look at the picture of the puppy he looks older than six weeks.

I wonder if the baby was actually laying on the floor or sofa where the puppy thought it was a toy. Maybe the baby was put into the swing after the fact. Either way, the mom and grandma were neglectful.

I'm picturing my dog at six weeks and I'm wondering how this could happen too. He wobbled and stumbled when he walked at six weeks. Of course if you look at the picture of the puppy he looks older than six weeks.

BINGO- did you see the size of that little puppy?? Sorry, baby was on the floor or some place where it could be reached...

If the baby was on the floor, alone, with the dogs around, I'm just more puzzled. What were the parents thinking?

If that had been a pit bull puppy instead of a lab everyone would be screaming that the entire breed be exterminated.

I guess this tragedy shows that ALL large breed dogs pose a risk when they are owned by irresponsible people who don't safeguard their own children.

That dog was older than 6 weeks. I have no doubt about that. It must have thought the baby was a play toy. Still, who leaves a two month old alone long enough for that to happen?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back