1076 users online (211 members and 865 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

KY - Melanie Flynn, 24, Lexington, 25 Jan 1977

Melanie Dee Flynn

Missing since January 25, 1977 from Lexington/Fayette, Fayette County, Kentucky.
    Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
    • Date Of Birth: November 24, 1952
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 24 years old
    • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'1"; 110 lbs.
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; brown eyes.
    • Clothing: Yellow ski jacket, blue jeans, hiking boots that looked like they were covered in hair.
    • Dentals: Not available

Circumstances of Disappearance

Flynn was last seen on January 25, 1977 in Lexington/Fayette, Ky, when she left her office on Cooper Drive. She never arrived at home that night, and her abandoned car was discovered 11 days later in northern Lexington. The 24-year-old secretary was the subject of a highly publicized search after she disappeared.

Melanie's family believes that she knew too much about the Lexington Police drug trafficking, upon the arrest of a former Lexington Police Officer on cocaine trafficking charges. At the time of her disappearance, there was a scandal involving the Lexington Police narcotics squad.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Lexington-Fayette Police Department 859-258-3563

Agency Case Number: 013177048
    NCIC Number: M-072117816

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

California Department of Justice
    Lexington Herald-Leader
    What I would like to know

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1416dfky.html

Charley Project info

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.---Patrick Moynihan
    Living in the

Bumping case up. It has been over 35 years since Melanie Dee Flynn went missing.

I recently discovered the MANY Topix posts re: "The Bluegrass Conspiracy" (a VERY good read, btw) including Melanie's disappearance, and within those posts was a link to this news video featuring her brother, Brad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZoO2zfishs

JMO: A tragic death related to overwhelming conspiracy and corruption

Does anyone find it interesting to see the California Dept of Justice listed as a "source"??? The only connection that comes to mind would be the China Lake Naval Base weapons theft.

Quote Originally Posted by fred&edna View Post
    ... Does anyone find it interesting to see the California Dept of Justice listed as a "source"??? The only connection that comes to mind would be the China Lake Naval Base weapons theft.
    Not sure why the origional post had the "California" link, but if you click on it, this is what you get:

MISSING PERSON

Melanie Dee Flynn

• Report Type: Voluntary Missing Adult
    • Sex: Female
    • Race: White
    • Hair: Blonde
    • Eye Color: Brown
    • Height: 5 ft. 01 in.
    • Weight: 110 lbs.
    • Date of Birth: 11/24/1952
    • Clothing: Yellow ski jacket, blue jeans, hiking boots that looked like they were covered in hair.
    • Dental X-rays Available: No
    • Alias: Melanie Dee
      Melanie Ohara
      Dee Dee

Melanie was last seen on January 25, 1977 in Lexington/Fayette, Ky.

CONTACT
    Agency: Lexington-Fayette (KY) Police Department
    Phone Number: (859) 258-3563
    Case Number: 013177048

I appreciate the recent activity on this topic. Having the recent post that included the TV clip showing her brother, Brad, is very helpful and shows the search that her family has undertaken for answers after all of these years. By the way, another brother, Doug, played for the Cincinnati Reds and as recently as last summer did some color commentary on their radio network during home games.

I read about her disapperance many years ago in the Bluegrass Conspiracy book although I've never understood why the edition that I had never included a photo of her. The book certainly showed some real questions about the conduct of the Lexington Metro Police Dept. and their apparent link to organized crime in that area.

The reference to the California Dept. of Justice could very well be as a result of a military weapons theft. In one of the chapters in Bluegrass Conspiracy, there is a reference to the Kentucky State Police learning of an apparent threat that if they (Ky. State Police) flew one of their helecopters over a certain section of land in Kentucky, it would be shot down. You'd think shooting down a helecopter would take some sort of military weapon. The State Police had done some flying there before that in connection with reported drug activity. It must have caught someone's attention. I understand the state police entered the case when Melanie's purse was discovered along the Kentucky River near Camp Nelson which gave them jurisdiction to become involved.

From what I read and have heard, Melanie must have learned of some drug-related matters that involved one or more members of the Lexington Metro Police and that lead to her disapperance and apparent murder. It might be noted that when she dissappeared in January, 1977, the weather was in that area was brutally cold with temperatures far below zero. Not the best time to be out searching for someone. It appears her brother, Brad, has had some good tips about where her body may be. You wonder who it may have been who put up that metal plate in the cave he has searched and why? It it was county or state officials, there would have to be some record of it. The counties of Mercer and Jessamine mentioned as where the brother was looking are basically in the area where her purse was found. Maybe her body is near there, too.

I lived in Lexington for about 15 years through high school and college...I have always wondered what happenned to Melanie Flynn. When I was 21-22 I became involved with some of Lexington's "well-known" people. I quickly learned that there is some seriously corrupt LE, very powerful people, lots of dirty money, secrets, lies, etc etc.. This is when someone who was worried about who I was hanging around with told me to read the "Bluegrass Conspiracy" and asked if I had ever heard of Melanie Flynn. I immediately read the book, even though it is "strangely" very very hard to find in any Lexington library or bookstore. I did some sleuthing of my own regarding Flynn, got a little too close to the situation, asked too many questions, and was told "to never ask about her again" by someone who in MY opinion knows exactly what happened to her and may even be at least partially responsible for her disappearance. This person is discussed very briefly in the book...but I wised up, got out of that situation, and away from those people. I was very scared for some time...I was young, very naive, and wanted to know where she was. It consumed me...I told certain people about my experience, LE knows but refuse to do anything about it...There are a number of people who know what happened to her, however, they are extremely powerful, high up, wealthy people, they will die with this secret I am afraid...

Beth272's story above is not the only one of its kind told by those who grew up in Lexington in the 1970s-80s. If you view the various Topix threads related to the Bluegrass Conspiracy, you will see others with similar stories. And whenever they do, others will show up to leave comments like, "Let sleeping dogs lie." "Best not to go poking around in these things, you could end up getting hurt." "If I were you I'd keep my trap shut." "This is all 40 years old now - let it rest if you know what's good for you." There are a lot of people in Lexington who do not want a light shone on the events of the 1970s and 80s. Don't take my word for it - go look up the Topix threads on the BGC.

I read the book The Bluegrass Conspiracy by Sally Denton two years ago. A great read, despite her sometimes clumsy prose. The book came out in early 1990s. Just had its 20th anniversary release not too long ago. At the time it was dismissed by Sally's former news editor as nothing but rumour and innuendo. In a more recent interview, he stated that he's since had second thoughts. She really gave the Kentucky blue-bloods who inhabit Lexington high society a black eye, and they did not appreciate it. But in the 23 years since it came out, she hasn't faced a single lawsuit. It's obvious she hit on some sensitive nerves.

By the 1970s, many wealthy farming families and horse breeders were suddenly not so wealthy anymore, the money having been diluted by successive generations of offspring and a steep decline in farming revenues. Some of them resorted to outdoor mj grow-ops - for which the KY climate is ideal - and eventually branched into moving large quantities of cocaine from South America. In a society where wealth and status and above all, old money, are everything, people will go to great lengths to preserve the status they've inherited. And if they also control much of what happens in government and the legal system (they do), it's not difficult for them to get away with it.

Obviously some higher-ups were either behind Melanie Flynn's disappearance or know important details about it. I'm really intrigued about the warnings that have been made to those who have asked questions about the case. I wonder if Bluegrass Conspiracy author Sally Denton ever got any? How about members of the Flynn family? Her brother, Brad, has spent quite a bit of time in trying to find out about what happened to her.

Sally Denton claimed she did receive threats, and that she had to live her life in semi-seclusion for some years afterward out of fear for her own safety.

I read the book when first published. I knew some of those people when we were all in high school---was stunned years later reading the book. My husband knew the Flynn family. Have always wished for a true/final closure for them even though they pretty much figure/know what happened to Melanie. Very sad.

This remains a sad yet intriguing story. The loss of a loved family member and friend with no finding of her body yet the assumed fact that she is deceased and the report of local law enforcement being somehow involved.

Since the Kentucky State Police became involved when Melanie's purse was later discovered in their jurisdiction, might that agency still have involvement in the case? It seems that dealing with Lexington Fayette Metro Police is not a good choice.

Cincinnati Kid... I don't know if Ky State Police keep this case on their 'radar' or not. Back around 1990, Lexington Police Cheif Larry Walsh reopened the case, or so it appeared. I feel the Flynns had a bit of false hope for a short while but it went nowhere. I always wondered if it was shut down purposely (JMO)---there were, & still are today, some still living who were involved in the BGC (maybe [?] not directly in her demise) that may know facts of Melanie's disappearance & most likely death but won't talk. Sad for the Flynns as they may never have any 'finality' before the end of their own lives. Only hope her brothers might see justice served but I feel that's doubtful. Prayers for the Flynns & other families like theirs.

I thought that since various reports have questioned Lexington Metro Police doing a proper job in solving this case because some with-in their ranks appear to have been involved, Kentucky State Police might offer a better choice particularly since Melanie's purse was found in their jurisdiction after she was reported missing.

Ralph Edward Ross (Ky State Police) mentioned in The Bluegrass Conspiracy. Just google "Ralph Ross" AND "Lexington, KY"

I think he (Ross) tried to investigate, but lost his job, etc?? 'Can't remember details but I know there's more info

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast