Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2169dfin.html

Mary Lazzara
Missing since about 1939 from Gary, Lake County, Indiana
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics
  • Date Of Birth: March 15, 1915
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: about 24 years old
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Black hair; brown eyes.
  • Fingerprints: Not Available
  • Dentals: Not Available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Lazzara was last seen leaving for work in Gary, Indiana in about 1939. She never returned home or was ever heard from again. There is no record of her in the FBI database.

Mary Lazzara
Missing since about 1939 from Gary, Lake County, Indiana
Classification: Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth
: March 15, 1915
  • Age at Time of Disappearance: about 24 years old
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Black hair; brown eyes.
  • Fingerprints: Not Available
  • Dentals: Not Available

Circumstances of Disappearance:

Lazzara was last seen leaving for work in Gary, Indiana in about 1939. She never returned home or was ever heard from again. There is no record of her in the FBI database.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Lauren Wicevic
815-258-6603

Source Information
:
The Family of Mary Lazzara

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2169dfin.html

She was a lovely girl,I wish there was more info.

It's been so long since this was originally posted. Has anyone looked into this to find out more info?

Thanks.

I just searched. Can't find anything. Not even a newspaper article. She was lovely. Very pretty girl. Would be interesting to find what became of her.

Info for anyone that is going to try to track Mary:

Name: (1920 Lake Co. IN census)

Mary Lazzara
Residence:, Lake, Indiana
Estimated Birth Year:1916
Birthplace:Illinois
Relationship to Head of Household: Daughter
Race:White
Marital Status:Single
Father's Birthplace:Italy
Mother's Birthplace:Italy
Film Number:1820446
Digital Folder Number:4300643
Image Number:00790
Sheet Number:1

Parent
Joseph Lazzara M 36y
Parent
Josephine Lazzara F 26y6m
Carmilo Lazzara M 7y9m
Mary Lazzara F 4y9m
Bennie Lazzara M 3y9m
Josephine Lazzara 4m

It would help if we had a middle name for Mary to rule out that she might have left of her own accord or eloped perhaps.

I wonder if this could be her grave. Birth year is right but I guess a death certificate would be needed to match up her parents names. This grave is in Tampa Fl and I don't think Florida death records are online, other than the ssdi.

https://billiongraves.com/grave/MARY-LAZZARA/5385950

I just found this Mary Lazzara with the grave on the Ssdi and it lists a birthdate of 3/7/1915 while our mp is 3/15/1915.

There is a record of a Mary T Lazzara, born 3/14/1915 (rather than 3/15/1915). She was born in Chicago and died in Chicago on 6/22/1986. I would discount this one except that the 1920 and 1930 census records for the missing Mary Lazarra clearly show that she was born in Illinois - so we have a Mary Lazarra born in the right place with a birth date one day different to the missing girl (and birth/christening dates often get mixed in online records). The death record for Mary T Lazarra shows a SSN (no 335124677) issued in Illinois before 1951. Is it possible that the missing Mary Lazarra returned to Illinois and lived out her life there? Of course, it may just be coincidence. All of this information comes from records on Ancestry.

I wonder if this could be her grave. Birth year is right but I guess a death certificate would be needed to match up her parents names. This grave is in Tampa Fl and I don't think Florida death records are online, other than the ssdi.

Mary Lazzara 1915 - 1986 BillionGraves Record
The image on the headstone is blurry, it would be great to get a closer look at that photo of this Mary Lazarro. To me, she looks quite a bit like the age progression but it's impossible to make out much

I tried looking up Mary Lazzara and her disappearance and the only thing I found was this on the Doe Network which has already been posted here:

"Lazzara was last seen leaving for work in Gary, Indiana in about 1939. She never returned home or was ever heard from again."

You would think a family member would have the date the last time she was seen etched in their memory. Kind of think Mary and her family had a falling out and she left on her own.

So many questions about even the little info that is provided...for example, how did Mary travel to work? Did she walk, drive, take a trolley?

What kind of work was it? (As in, did she have any access to confidential information that someone might have wanted, or perhaps dealt with angry clients?) Was she on good terms with her coworkers/boss? Did anyone confirm whether she did or didn't reach her workplace that day? etc.

I tried to trace more information about Mary.
Mary was born in Chicago, Illinois to Sicilian immigrants Giuseppa (Josephine) Ficarella and Giuseppe (Joseph) Lazzara. According to her birth certificate, she was born on March 18, 1915, but her father's naturalization record shows her birthday as the 13rd.

She was the second of 5 children, her youngest and only surviving sibling recently passed away. She is not even mentioned in any of her siblings' obituaries.

Between 1916 and 1919, the family moved to Gary, Indiana and changed surname to Lazzaro. Mary disappeared around 1939 from her parents’ home in Gary, she was last seen leaving for work. FBI has no record about Mary’s disappearance, so a distant cousin created one in the Doe Network.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk
Back