1076 users online (226 members and 850 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

School Orders Prison Jumpsuits For Offenders Of Dress Code

!

GONZALES, Texas Violating Gonzales High School's dress code is not a crime, but some of the offenders are about to start looking a lot like convicts.
    Soon after classes begin Aug. 25, violators of the district's beefed-up dress code must don navy blue coveralls unless they get another set of clothes from home or serve in-school suspension. The outfits aren't just styled like prison jumpsuits they're actually made by Texas inmates.
    "We're a conservative community, and we're just trying to make our students more reflective of that," said Larry Wehde, Gonzales Independent School District deputy superintendent.
    More: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,396362,00.html

Cali -- but im a north east girl at heart!
    omg seriously!?!?

i'd say that high school is pretty lucky if kids breaking the dress code are the biggest fish to fry. they should count their blessings !!!

well maybe nobody will disobey then lol

Quote Originally Posted by ttrachel04 View Post
    omg seriously!?!?

i'd say that high school is pretty lucky if kids breaking the dress code are the biggest fish to fry. they should count their blessings !!!
    It's the "broken window" philosophy that Rudy G (can't spell that last name) used as mayor in New York City--fix the little things, the bigger issues lessen.

When students see that smaller rules aren't enforced, they're emboldened to try more. Sure, a certain number of students will do what they want, no matter what. But you'd be surprised at how enforcing smaller rules creates a sense of respect for rules over all and furthers the learning.

It's not the dress that matters, it's the fact that if you have those rules, then you'd better be willing to follow through on them.

My teaching partner and I used to occasionally get out a long piece of yarn for "a cowboy belt" for sagging britches. Very cheerfully. Very good naturedly, "Oh my goodness! Look at those pants! Falling down, I believe we need to get a cowboy belt! Haven't got any rope, this yarn will do!"

Never failed that the next day the student managed to dig up and wear a belt.

Besides, as a parent who used to deal with a uniform dress code, it stinks to be the parent who follows it and then other kids walk away with blatant violations. If you're going to have the rules for all enforce them for all.

I read that kids are already planning to break the dress code so they will have to wear the prison jumpsuit.

The school does not realize it, but this will encourage kids and will be a badge of honor amongst them.

Lets all wait for the Facebook group to start..........

Quote Originally Posted by CyberLaw View Post
    I read that kids are already planning to break the dress code so they will have to wear the prison jumpsuit.

The school does not realize it, but this will encourage kids and will be a badge of honor amongst them.

Lets all wait for the Facebook group to start..........
    I very much agree with you.

I wouldn't allow my kid to wear anything that any inmate made or handled. The jumpsuits probably aren't even laundered first or in between kids wearing them. I'm all for having a school sweatshirt, sweats, twist ties for belting saggy pants, but this is too controlling and too much drama. Dress codes have been an issue since the beginning of schools probably. It's not that big a deal.

Southwestern Maine is home but I'm not there nearly often enough
    There was no dress code at my high school back in the 70's so nobody broke it and we could focus on the important stuff. But I guess it's just human nature to create issues when things are running too smoothly. The immense majority of teens will outgrow idiotic fashions: you don't see many 30-year-olds dressed like buffoons unless they are buffoons and that, no dress code is going to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by KarlK View Post
    There was no dress code at my high school back in the 70's so nobody broke it and we could focus on the important stuff. But I guess it's just human nature to create issues when things are running too smoothly. The immense majority of teens will outgrow idiotic fashions: you don't see many 30-year-olds dressed like buffoons unless they are buffoons and that, no dress code is going to fix.
    I remember codes observed before I had to take out for teen pregnancy (11th grade), etc,
    After that we would be judged upon attendance (which thankfully I SURVIVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!) although I had a precious baby at 17!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Before that the Rebel Flag T was made to turn inside out, as was the Big Johnson shirts...I have to admit though NOT a lesbian I look on this kinda thing as a "so what? who cares?"
    Am I the only one who cares or am I the only who could give a crap less? I feel VERY much like the latter.

They don't let the kids wear T shirts? Thats a little extreme IMO. If I had gone to this school I would have been wearing that suit every day lol. I don't think I ever owned a single shirt with buttons as a child and there was certainly never any money to buy me any clothes for school- everything was passed on from older siblings.

Honestly though I probably would have picked the in-school suspension to avoid the attention from wearing a prison jumpsuit to class. This rule sure would have done me a whole lot of good...

Texana, I am in total agreement with you.

Quote Originally Posted by lorelei View Post
    They don't let the kids wear T shirts? Thats a little extreme IMO. If I had gone to this school I would have been wearing that suit every day lol. I don't think I ever owned a single shirt with buttons as a child and there was certainly never any money to buy me any clothes for school- everything was passed on from older siblings.

Honestly though I probably would have picked the in-school suspension to avoid the attention from wearing a prison jumpsuit to class. This rule sure would have done me a whole lot of good...
    The kids have to wear button up shirts? Even the girls? Sorry, I have trouble opening links on here sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    The kids have to wear button up shirts? Even the girls? Sorry, I have trouble opening links on here sometimes.
    Yeah. I think they said it was 'collared shirts', so maybe polo shirts and stuff like that is OK? Its public school so I'd guess the rule is the same for boys and girls.

edit- I think I made up the buttons But I never owned any shirts with collars or buttons that I can recall.

My high school and college both had dress codes - coat and tie for boys and dresses for girls - though not uniforms. I liked dressing for classes.

My sons go to a charter elementary school (public) that requires uniforms and I like that too.

I think the jumpsuit thing is clever.

I have no sympathy for these students! I had to wear a uniform for five years of Catholic high school. Every day we had to wear below the knee blue skirt, blue and white pin striped blouse with blue button on tie and black shoes with white socks. It was an awful thing to wear in a humid tropical climate but we had to obey the rules. It's a good lesson for the students for later in life. Everyone has to obey the dress code when they are at their place of work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast