999 users online (224 members and 775 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 94
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    southwest US
    Posts
    1,687
    So Russell could have just been a "ride" to CA? DO we know what Margaret was doing while still in PA? Was she working? Maybe Russell was a co-worker? What year did Margaret go to CA again?

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Julessleuther View Post
    So Russell could have just been a "ride" to CA? DO we know what Margaret was doing while still in PA? Was she working? Maybe Russell was a co-worker? What year did Margaret go to CA again?
    "Russell" was described by the Kukoda family member as a "boyfriend", but memories of a relatively inconsequential event from sixty-plus years ago are understandably sketchy. We do not know what Margaret was doing in PA before the war but it would make sense that she was a nurse there also. (She continued on as a licensed nurse for a few years after the war until her license was revoked for her legal issues.) I believe that she came to California in either 1942 or 1943 to work as a nurse at Letterman Naval Hospital.
    Order the book "Searching For Anna" directly from [URL="http://www.lulu.com/conte

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    orange county, ny
    Posts
    2,380
    I thought I may have been on to something...Then again, most likely not...

    In June of '73, an 11 year-old girl and her 9 year-old brother were offered $2 each to help a man post handbills on cars in parking lots near Mission Hills. The man, described as being in his 40s-50s with graying hair, dropped off the boy in a parking lot and took off with the girl. She was found a day or two later, drugged, beaten and raped. She survived the attack. The rapist was identified as Robert Lee Ray, who also had a long list of aliases. He was arraigned in October, with a court date of November 13th---right before Karen H was kidnapped.
    Ray had a criminal history going back to 1940, including arrests for auto theft and indecent exposure. He also had a lengthy record of sex offenses.
    He had married a woman with six kids shortly before kidnapping the Mission Hills girl, and was facing charges for attempted rape of his four teenage step-daughters.

    There's nothing else after the October article, just like there's nothing on Sharp/Knapp before the Michelle H kidnapping.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,760
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel View Post
    I thought I may have been on to something...Then again, most likely not...

    In June of '73, an 11 year-old girl and her 9 year-old brother were offered $2 each to help a man post handbills on cars in parking lots near Mission Hills. The man, described as being in his 40s-50s with graying hair, dropped off the boy in a parking lot and took off with the girl. She was found a day or two later, drugged, beaten and raped. She survived the attack. The rapist was identified as Robert Lee Ray, who also had a long list of aliases. He was arraigned in October, with a court date of November 13th---right before Karen H was kidnapped.
    Ray had a criminal history going back to 1940, including arrests for auto theft and indecent exposure. He also had a lengthy record of sex offenses.
    He had married a woman with six kids shortly before kidnapping the Mission Hills girl, and was facing charges for attempted rape of his four teenage step-daughters.

    There's nothing else after the October article, just like there's nothing on Sharp/Knapp before the Michelle H kidnapping.
    Is this the Mission Hills near San Diego?

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    orange county, ny
    Posts
    2,380
    No, LA. Ray lived in Canoga Park. It appears, however, he had ties to Alameda in the mid- to late-60's. I'm trying to find more info on that now. (He claimed to be a TV writer, for such shows as "Gilligan's Island". That was untrue, but he was a member of the Writer's Guild in the '60s).

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,437
    There is a Mission Hills in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles very near Canoga Park. Coincidently, I lived in Mission Hills back in the late 1980's. Mission Hills is also very close to Northridge where Annasbro received his BA.
    Order the book "Searching For Anna" directly from [URL="http://www.lulu.com/conte

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    2,437
    Concerning Ray's alledged involvement with Gilligan's Island. It is common for writers to be involved with a project yet not receive an onscreen writing "credit".
    Order the book "Searching For Anna" directly from [URL="http://www.lulu.com/conte

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    orange county, ny
    Posts
    2,380
    Investigators spoke to Sherwood Schwartz, the producer of the show, who denied that Ray had any involvement in the writing for the series. He joined the Writer's Guild in '65 while working for something called the California Institute for Better Living, but was suspended for failure to pay dues. He was reinstated to work on one script, but was again suspended in '72 for failure to pay dues again.

  9. #69
    I spoke with the tipster who had received the pics of Sharp/Knapp that I sent in the mail. She says this is not the man who visited her home back in 1976.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,760
    Quote Originally Posted by SherlockJr View Post
    I spoke with the tipster who had received the pics of Sharp/Knapp that I sent in the mail. She says this is not the man who visited her home back in 1976.
    I am really heartened that she remembers the face well enough to make that statement, even if (especially if) this isn't the man.


  11. #71
    She must have a remarkable memory, if she surely doesn't recall Sharp/Knapp, I wonder what details she does remember?
    Height:
    Hair/colour/style:
    Approx. age?
    Clothing... sounds like alot but she sounds as tho she does have some memories.
    No one else in the town would have known about this man? Did the tipster have neighbours?

    Anyway of asking her SherlockJr?

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    southwest US
    Posts
    1,687
    Did someone from here post this on rootsweb? Someone is looking for a Robert Russell born Aug 1919 who knew a Margaret Kukoda? Does anyone know for sure if his first name was Robert?

    http://newsarch.rootsweb.com/th/read...-07/1184432176
    Last edited by Julessleuther; 09-01-2008 at 12:30 AM. Reason: typo

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    southwest US
    Posts
    1,687
    Ok--guess what? There was a Robert Russell born in Dec 22, 1893 in Massachusetts, who died in CA in 1981.

    I also found a Robert Russell born Aug 1919, from New York, who died in 1980 in Brevard, FL

    I don't know if this means anything at all, but maybe George was a friend of Roberts?


    I just realized something---didn't Margaret used to call Brody Bobby? Robert---Bobby???

  14. #74
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,760
    Quote Originally Posted by Julessleuther View Post
    Ok--guess what? There was a Robert Russell born in Dec 22, 1893 in Massachusetts, who died in CA in 1981.

    I also found a Robert Russell born Aug 1919, from New York, who died in 1980 in Brevard, FL

    I don't know if this means anything at all, but maybe George was a friend of Roberts?


    I just realized something---didn't Margaret used to call Brody Bobby? Robert---Bobby???
    Yes, she did call him Bobby. In answer to your questions on the new thread, Doogie has put together some approximate dates, based on old San Francisco records, but really we know very little about how Margaret and George met, or how, or where.

  15. #75
    iNTERESTEDWOMAN's Avatar
    iNTERESTEDWOMAN is offline I'll trade you a bushel of corn for a barrel of oil.
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    A Nebraska Farm
    Posts
    1,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Julessleuther View Post
    Did someone from here post this on rootsweb? Someone is looking for a Robert Russell born Aug 1919 who knew a Margaret Kukoda? Does anyone know for sure if his first name was Robert?

    http://newsarch.rootsweb.com/th/read...-07/1184432176
    Yes that was me. You will find many of my requests sprinkled around Ancestry & rootsweb, also on dead freds site. Hopefully I'll have more time after harvest to work more on follow-ups.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-28-2014, 12:40 AM
  2. Replies: 162
    Last Post: 05-22-2011, 04:53 PM