Can any of our new members help?

L L & S

Reaction score
First let me say I apologize for this post being so long. Next Let me give lot's of credit for getting this information together in the beginning of this case to PrayersforMaura. It was done with lot's of love. Thank you PFM.

Here is the link to her posts: LINK

If any of our Wonderful New Sleuthers remember this case we would sure like to hear from you. A lot of this forum has been archived. But it's all here. Thank you for taking your time to read this information.

Janet Christiansen Abaroa was an exceptional soul. She would have brought the world many wonderful things. Including the baby she was carrying. She was mother to 6 month old Kaiden.

Her husband is a liar, cheater and convicted embezzler. (Documented within the forum)

Any insight you could offer on this case would be appreciated.

The family and friends of Janet wait patiently for justice for Janet and her baby and her little son Kaiden who must, in his little heart, remember his mommy and miss her.

This thread represents the timeline and important factual information
to get you started in learning about the life and unfortunate murder of a very special young woman.

WHO: The victim is Janet Abaroa, 25 years old
WHAT: She was found murdered.
WHEN: Shortly before 11pm on the night of April 26, 2005.
WHERE: In one of the three bedrooms of the home she shared with her son and husband at 2606 Ferrand Drive.
HOW: She was stabbed to death, but the weapon has not been recovered.
WHY: We websleuthers are trying to help determine this.
The other threads in this forum may shed some light and help provide some much needed resolution to this case.

MOST information from this thread came directly from the stories and info posted on the Media Link Only Thread
at the top of this forum. It's been summarized on this thread.

Please keep this thread free of discussion, and with known, factual information about the timeline and events of this case.
We are all constantly contributing more information to this thread.
If anything is incorrect, feel free to pm the poster so we can keep this thread completely factual. Thank you!

redvine.gif

Timeline of Janet and Raven's Marriage

August, 2000
04: Janet and Raven Abaroa married

November 2000
11: Janet and Raven and their dog Shanuk take a trip to Lost River National Park in West Virginia

December, 2000
??: Janet obtains her Associate's Degree and takes a year off from college to spend time with Raven

February 2001
19: Janet and Raven took a vacation to Orlando, FL

May, 2001
08: Raven's wallet was stolen. It contained $35, his driver's license and credit cards

January, 2004
??: Rumors from an anonymous source indicate Raven was unfaithful to Janet and the couple were in the process of separating,

Sometime between February and April, 2004
Janet discovers she is pregnant
Raven and Janet reconcile

July, 2004
01: Raven allegedly begins embezzling funds from his employer, Eurosport

September, 2004
01: Raven allegedly embezzles more funds from his employer, Eurosport

October, 2004
17: Kaiden is born

November, 2004

December, 2004

January, 2005
??: Raven fired for allegations of embezzlement from his former employer, Eurosport in Hillsborough.

??: Janet resigned from her accounting position at Eurosport.

February, 2005
02: Raven Abaroa was charged with 5 counts of embezzling thousands of dollars from Eurosport, according to court documents.

April, 2005
22: Landlord said Janet and Raven just signed the forms for the change in rent. Landlord gave the previous two months free due to unemployment.
It is believed that their churched raised enough funds to pay for their April rent. May rent would've been back to normal before their unemployment.

25: Raven makes an entry to his blog on his website about overcoming trying times in his life and plans to start anew (my interpretation)

26: Janet Abaroa found Murdered in her home

Sometime between April 26 and May 3, 2005
??: Abaroa's husband retained an attorney

May, 2005
04: Members of Janet's family tell reporters "the couple was very much in love with each other and their 6-month-old son."

04: Family members were working to establish a trust fund for Janet and Raven's son, Kaiden, who was at the time being cared for by his father and family friends, said Abaroa's sister, Dena Kendall.

07: The funeral for Janet was held at noon at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Buena Vista, Va., where she attended Southern Virginia University.

09: Janet's family participated in a memorial in her hometown at 11 a.m. at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Annandale, Va.

June, 2005
10: Raven is scheduled to appear in court for his embezzlement charges

redvine.gif

Here is a LINK to the WRAL.com NC Most Wanted. There is another updated time line and also the 911 audio.

janet-banner5d.jpg

I haven't been on here long, but I'm interested in this case. However, I can't seem to find any general discussion threads before #7. Are they archived somewhere?

Daphne, I sent a note off to our mod Chicoliving because I do not know the answer to your question. I'm sure she'll be able to help.

At the bottom of each forum's index page ( the page that shows all the threads in that forum) there is a Display Options section. Choose to show all threads from "the beginning" and click "show threads" that gives you about seven pages of threads from the beginning. :seeya:

I took a look and listened to the 911 call. Firstly, I don't find the 911 call believable at all. (The operator is hella annoying, too). :liar: I also find it far too convenient that this lovely young woman who was facing eviction, was living with a lying cheating husband who was about to go down for embezzlement, suddenly winds up dead. Was she under suspicion as well? My very first instinct was to say: they were in extreme financial stress, she is pregnant, he is facing criminal charges and perhaps she was being called as a prosecution witness (she was the company's accountant)...he can't handle that, kills her... it's the simpliest, most logical explanation. I have a couple questions:

1. where did all the embezzled money go?
2. was it ever substantiated that he was cheating on her?
3. who was he playing soccer with?
4. did they find any other forensic evidence of an intruder?

Clearly, if he arrived home at 10:40 and she was stabbed at 10:50, duh duh? :slap:

So, they have means, motive and opportunity, they don't want to prosecute because they have no weapon????

Thanks Chico for chiming in for us.

To Anubis

2. Established that he was cheating on her, yes it was. I can assure you it was confirmed. Do I have a link? No, but you can check out tearsforjanet.com and it's all written out there and by the family and friends that were involved. I have spoken to these people and yes it has been established that he was, but not that I can give a media link too.

Chico, if I am not allowed to make these comments without links please let me know or delete this post if you need to.

3. a pick up game somewhere, I believe it was confirmed that he was there for at least part of the time

4. no other evidence of any intruder/LE stated this was NOT A RANDOM ACT.

You will have to wait for one of our more prolific posters to answer #1. Terminatrixator or Jersey Girl will know. So will BirdHunter.

Thank you so much for coming here.

Thanks, chicoliving!

1) Anyone's guess. Certainly not towards rent since their landlord had given them several months of free rent to help them out. One thing that never seemed to suffer was Raven's VX. He found comeraderie on a VX message board and seemed to jump in with both feet. In no time, he was adding things to his VX to keep up with the strangers he felt somehow compelled to one-up on that message board. So my best guess - soccer fees, brand name clothing, VX parts, knives, etc.

2) I don't know much about this aspect other than what I've heard through the grapevine.

3) As LL&S stated, it was a pick-up game and his presence was confirmed at the game.

4) There's a link around here of a detective being interviewed - I believe it was a short time after it was divulged that Janet had been pregnant - and in it the detective says something along the lines of "sometimes what we don't find is as important as what we do", (that's probably nowhere close to the actual words but the idea is the same). From what I know, there was no evidence of an intruder - none. I'm sure that they found plenty of DNA from the people living in the home but even after such a violent confrontation, no DNA was found from an intruder.

Other posters, please feel free to correct me if any of the above is incorrect. This is only the situation as I've come to know it.

"I feel it's a very good case." -Cpl Perkins, DPD - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing

... Investigators said much of their work in the past year has involved tying outside information to clues found at the scene.

"We got a lot of forensic evidence on the scene," Perkins said. "But sometimes it's just as important the evidence you don't find."

Police said they believe Janet Abaroa knew her killer, noting there was no forced entry into the house...

I took a look and listened to the 911 call. Firstly, I don't find the 911 call believable at all. (The operator is hella annoying, too). :liar: I also find it far too convenient that this lovely young woman who was facing eviction, was living with a lying cheating husband who was about to go down for embezzlement, suddenly winds up dead. Was she under suspicion as well? My very first instinct was to say: they were in extreme financial stress, she is pregnant, he is facing criminal charges and perhaps she was being called as a prosecution witness (she was the company's accountant)...he can't handle that, kills her... it's the simpliest, most logical explanation. I have a couple questions:

Clearly, if he arrived home at 10:40 and she was stabbed at 10:50, duh duh? :slap:

So, they have means, motive and opportunity, they don't want to prosecute because they have no weapon????

1. At Raven's embezzlement conviction the judge asked that very question. Without even looking up Raven answered that it went to paying his bills.

2. Raven was not new to the cheaters club. He had at least four affairs during his marriage that I know of. I know that he was cheating at the time of the murder.

3. He played soccer with a pick up league. They are somewhat organized, but anyone can join. He had played with this group before.

4. Every news release from the Durham police says they same thing. "This was not a random act". This murder was committed by someone who knew Janet.

It's been a while since I looked over this case. But, could LE have meant by 'what evidence you don't find.....' NO weapon...........

Was there a knife set that was incomplete???

Nothing turned over, indicating NO struggle???????

DNA of a THIRD party,...............meaning, ONLY Raven's and the baby's????

As has already been stated, no evidence of forced entry........

JMHO
fran

It's been a while since I looked over this case. But, could LE have meant by 'what evidence you don't find.....' NO weapon...........

Was there a knife set that was incomplete???

Nothing turned over, indicating NO struggle???????

DNA of a THIRD party,...............meaning, ONLY Raven's and the baby's????

As has already been stated, no evidence of forced entry........

JMHO
fran

Nothing turned over indicating a struggle. Janet did not appear to struggle at all and was stabbed from behind. She knew who was behind her.

She was was upstairs, meaning the person would have had to come into the home, go up the stairs in the house, while Janet was in the Office next to Kaiden's bedroom and be able to sneak up on Janet, put his arm around Janet and then stab her. This was an older house. I highly doubt anyone could walk in, walk up the stairs without Janet hearing and Janet wouldn't be surprised and kick and fight when she noticed someone on her.

Janet was not a weak person. Janet would never allow anyone up near her child. Let's not forget Janet owned dogs.

No evidence of forced entry, no third party DNA. Nothing was missing, except Laptop, murder weapon.

We know he had "Knife Collection" he says so in his video and even showed us the knife. I believe you can see the "I got myself a Buck Knife" video through myspace.com/tearsforjanet - I guess that conveniently became missing too.

I believe part of the conviction required him to return stolen shoes. If I recall it was several thousand dollars worth of shoes. He'd been selling them on ebay. I believe his ebay account was shut down. I think the shoes were about 1/3 of the amount he was convicted of. Yeah, he was "paying the bills" with the money. Not.

Does anyone recall or have more information on the car fire a while before the murder? Didn't one of Raven's cars conveniently catch fire in their driveway? Was their an insurance pay out on that?

Nothing turned over indicating a struggle. Janet did not appear to struggle at all and was stabbed from behind. She knew who was behind her.

She was was upstairs, meaning the person would have had to come into the home, go up the stairs in the house, while Janet was in the Office next to Kaiden's bedroom and be able to sneak up on Janet, put his arm around Janet and then stab her. This was an older house. I highly doubt anyone could walk in, walk up the stairs without Janet hearing and Janet wouldn't be surprised and kick and fight when she noticed someone on her.

Janet was not a weak person. Janet would never allow anyone up near her child. Let's not forget Janet owned dogs.

No evidence of forced entry, no third party DNA. Nothing was missing, except Laptop, murder weapon.

We know he had "Knife Collection" he says so in his video and even showed us the knife. I believe you can see the "I got myself a Buck Knife" video through myspace.com/tearsforjanet - I guess that conveniently became missing too.

Great points. She was upstairs. IF a stranger entered you would think the dogs would have allerted her.

Does anyone recall or have more information on the car fire a while before the murder? Didn't one of Raven's cars conveniently catch fire in their driveway? Was their an insurance pay out on that?

I believe yes - insurance paid out, I believe it was considered very suspicious in nature, but I believe it couldn't be proven because of rain damage.

I have really truly had a hard time going through many channels to find out information on this. Even trying to trace back old records.

Insurance records are the hardest for me to get, but I have gotten some information that was public on this car fire and have had information giving to me regarding this.

I believe yes - insurance paid out, I believe it was considered very suspicious in nature, but I believe it couldn't be proven because of rain damage.

I have really truly had a hard time going through many channels to find out information on this. Even trying to trace back old records.

Insurance records are the hardest for me to get, but I have gotten some information that was public on this car fire and have had information giving to me regarding this.
How is a car burning to the ground in your driveway in the middle of the night NOT suspicious! LOL!

Because of the beginning part of the statement indicating that they collected a lot of forensic evidence at the scene, I take it to mean that there was no foreign forensic evidence found. That within all of that evidence, there was nothing that was unfamiliar or unexplained. JMO.

I admit I'm new and that I'm only about a third of the way through reading up on this case, but I keep coming back to that timeline. The timeline on NC Wanted is from LE (as evidenced by their call previously to correct it), Raven says he got home at 10:40 (and the timing is right for that trip), and the autopsy puts the TOD at 10:55. Why is Raven not locked up?

I know there needs to be a lot of evidence, but I'm just having trouble getting past this. His own words put him there when she died. I understand that the autopsy may not be infallible (sp?), but to feel confident enough to list time of injury and TOD to the minute? What am I missing? :confused:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back