GA - Fatal Error by 911 Operator - Atlanta, 2008

Truthful Lies

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this hasn't been posted, yet..I looked so if there is a thread somewhere, I am sorry! Please let me know.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,398721,00.html

"ATLANTA — Authorities say a suburban Atlanta woman died while waiting for an ambulance that a 911 operator sent to the wrong address."

As an operator and a former first responder...I feel very badly for this person's family...and the operator (they will never get over it). But, do I think they should have been fired? Not if it was an honest mistake...and wasn't negligence, etc.

Not defending a mistake...but we're all human. I have a job that can mean life or death to someone as well (but not 911)....and we all try our very, very best. I feel for the patient and the op. in this.

If the op misheard the address...it happens. You try to get everything you can from the person (cell phones are the most difficult...and that's what it sounds like this patient was on if they were using tower 911 triangulation). She may have not been able to talk much with a pulmonary embolism.

It's a shame all around and I pray nightly that I'm quick enough and do the right things.

I'm praying for this patient, her family, and also the operator.

I agree, cops and 911 are human. But what is the person's history? Usually calm and collected in emergency or easily rattled? Good at the job, or has a history of mistakes? Were they unduly influenced by personal history (ie, did they come in with a hangover?)

Usually the city will wait to see if the family is going to sue (firing makes it look like the department was at fault). But perhaps the family showed signs that they wouldn't sue if something was done about the dispatcher.

I know in our city the 911 operators are overworked and underpaid. I can see how one could make a mistake like this. I do agree with the other poster though that they should look at the operator's record. Is this something that happened before or was it an honest, tragic mistake?

Yeah..if the op had any history of negligence or anything, I do agree with punishment.

They are probably listening to every call that operator took right now. Everything is recorded (even silences between calls). Just thought it was sad if the person was doing their best.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back