Thread: Granny Arrested for Driving With Child on Roof

The lovely Sacramento Valley in northern California

Granny Arrested for Driving With Child on Roof

Just when I think people couldn't possibly be more stupid.

"MARATHON, Fla. A grandmother was arrested Tuesday for driving around the parking lot of a Marathon, Fla., grocery store with a 3-year-old child sitting on the roof of the car, authorities said"....

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,399442,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlydaze View Post
    Just when I think people couldn't possibly be more stupid.

"MARATHON, Fla. A grandmother was arrested Tuesday for driving around the parking lot of a Marathon, Fla., grocery store with a 3-year-old child sitting on the roof of the car, authorities said"....

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,399442,00.html
    The woman defends her actions by saying that she was driving at a snails pace and hanging onto the child's leg.

Granny... done lost her mind, I do think...

And here I thought it might be a kid in a car seat! LOL, I was going to try to offer a weak defense! But this granny thought she was taking this kid to a theme park, but without the proper restraints.

Cubby is offline 50K reward, Bob Harrod-Missing: Call Det. Radomski 714-993-8176
    Granny done lost her mind is right... All that child had to do was fall off that roof head first and we would have heard about a tragedy. I hope the childs parents are bright enough to NOT allow the child alone with granny again!
    ~JMO~

A grandfather is someone with silver in his hair and gold in his heart. ~Author Unknown

Long Lost Love - Discovery ID - Disappeared - Bob Harrod Case

You can now purchase Mr. Harrod's Disappeared episode through Amazon, iTunes or YouTube.

Websleuths Resource Center

Call Kurtis - Psychics and the Missing

Did anyone see that movie with Clint Eastwood (played a detective) in it; it was called 'A Perfect World' (1993) about the boy who was kidnapped and his kidnapper and they form a bond and there was a scene where the kidnapper had the boy riding on the roof of his car (the boy had never been to an amusement park). The kidnapper also took him door to door to trick or treat since the boy had never done that (strict religious family).

Maybe the woman saw that movie and got the idea from that. It is poor judgement, as a 3 year old is very young. Was the 3 year old scared or crying? Otherwise i'd say it was neglect rather than abuse. Neglect of common sense that could have led to the child being hurt.

The child was standing up through the sunroof while the grandmother drove slowly around the parking lot. The aunt was in the backseat holding her legs.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localne...oof.html?imw=Y

I wish this would have been stated in the original reports in the media. This poor woman has been crucified!

I used to hang out of sunroofs all the time. That doesn't sound that dangerous, as long as the grandmother along with an adult daughter both held onto her legs and was going a slow speed. Sure, it's poor judgement with a small child (she would have been better off doing that on the backroads or her own street if it's not more traffic). Sounds like the police were bored there that day, as was the newspaper. They should be chasing down drug dealers and perverts instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
    The child was standing up through the sunroof while the grandmother drove slowly around the parking lot. The aunt was in the backseat holding her legs.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localne...oof.html?imw=Y

I wish this would have been stated in the original reports in the media. This poor woman has been crucified!
    You are right-she is being crucified-and rightfully so imo. Granted, she was driving slowly-and the aunt was holding onto her "real good" But I've seen people drive in parking lots before-and all this story needs is one more moron driving too fast in the parking lot and slamming into "Granny's" car to make this a tragedy. Car seats are legally required for a reason-even in parking lots.
    You won't cry for my absence, I know -
    You forgot me long ago. Am I that unimportant...?
    Am I so insignificant...? Isn't something missing?
    Isn't someone missing me?
    Evanescence
    Please take a moment to see Deanna's Age progression here:
    http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US
    Deanna Merryfield-missing from Killeen,Tx since July 1990
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106164

I have a neighbor that drives her grandson around on the hood of her car. Yes, I'm serious. I told her how unsafe it was one day. She said that she would never hurt him, how slow she drives, etc. This story reminded me of her. I haven't seen her do it lately but I haven't seen her with the kid either. The kid was 5-6 when she was doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by MissieMt View Post
    You are right-she is being crucified-and rightfully so imo. Granted, she was driving slowly-and the aunt was holding onto her "real good" But I've seen people drive in parking lots before-and all this story needs is one more moron driving too fast in the parking lot and slamming into "Granny's" car to make this a tragedy. Car seats are legally required for a reason-even in parking lots.
    LOL....maybe it's my family, we thought the whole purpose of sunroofs were to stand up in them. We did this until we could no longer fit through them! Only in parking lots or on non busy streets. I guess I just don't see the real danger if you are going very slow.

I don't think this story would have received the same outrage if it was first reported that the child was standing through a sunroof. There is a big difference between that and sitting on top of a roof, imo.

Isn't it funny how we can be super-paranoid about some things, but then there is stuff that we have always done, so we see no harm in it?
    I'm not a perfect parent by any means, and I'm sure there are things that i allow but other parents would flip out over (every once in a while we have ice cream for breakfast)
    You won't cry for my absence, I know -
    You forgot me long ago. Am I that unimportant...?
    Am I so insignificant...? Isn't something missing?
    Isn't someone missing me?
    Evanescence
    Please take a moment to see Deanna's Age progression here:
    http://www.missingkids.com/missingki...archLang=en_US
    Deanna Merryfield-missing from Killeen,Tx since July 1990
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=106164

Many years ago, my aunt was in the parking lot of a busy shopping center. A young lady was putting her packages in the car and while she did she sat her baby (in a child carrier) on the roof of the car. She got all of her packages in the car and started to pull away - with the child still on the roof!!
    My aunt was able to stop her before she picked up any speed - the young mom was devastated - nearly inconsolable.
    I never, never, never put my kids on the roof of my car! My boys were too heavy anyway!