CW

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
August 7, 2008
Mom arrested after 2-month-old infant dies from meth dose
From Niesha Lofing:

A Sacramento woman has been arrested in connection with her 2-month-old daughter's death, who died after ingesting a lethal dose of methamphetamines, investigators said Thursday.

Maureen Hoffart, 45, was arrested Tuesday on suspicion of endangering a child causing death in January and is being held without bail in Sacramento County Jail, Sgt. Matt Young said.

Sacramento firefighters found the dead baby girl after responding to a medical aid call at the home in the 2500 block of 38th Avenue at 8:20 a.m. Jan. 1, he said.

Nothing suspicious was noted at the time, but the infant's body was turned over the Sacramento County Coroner's Office for an autopsy.

Coroners eventually determined that the baby had a lethal dose of methamphetamines in her system, and homicide investigators assigned to the case believe the baby ingested the drugs as a result of the mother's actions, Young said.

An arrest warrant was issued for Hoffart and she was taken into custody.

Further details were not available.

Check back at www.sacbee.com for details.

Categories: Homicide
http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/crime/archives/014429.html#comments_here

So sad another innocent precious baby murdered by the actions of a mother.:furious:

Was she on meth and breastfeeding? I don't understand!

Salem

Some people should never become mothers. Lock her away for life. She should never be allowed out.

She was 45. I was expecting this to be a young teen who maybe wouldn't know any better.

Yes, that is what they think happened. The Coroners spokesperson said she took meth and then breastfed her daughter right afterwards. This is so sad- the newer article said that the babys twin is in protective custody.
link to update story
http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/1141434.html

Heartbreaking. Of course it's not good to take drugs and breastfeed your child, but frankly it surprises the heck out of me that this caused the child's death. My prayers for this family.

Didn't that happen on ER once?

I wish all new mothers could be drug tested before they're allowed to take their babies home.

I wish all new mothers could be drug tested before they're allowed to take their babies home.

Alcohol tested, too?

I was on drugs when I took my children home and prescribed more to take with me (such is the nature c-section delivery). I would have hated for them to keep my children because of this.

Me too. Seems obvious if the "mother" tests positive for illegal drugs she should not be allowed to take the baby "home".

Snipped from:
http://www.dphhs.mt.gov/newsevents/newsreleases2004/september/methuseandbreastmilk.shtml

“Breastfeeding has been shown to offer many health advantages to infants and mothers and even to the environment,” said Lori Rittel, a nutritionist with the Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services (DPHHS). “But when a mother is using meth, the drug can be passed to the baby through the mother’s milk and can be very harmful and potentially lethal. Mothers in this situation should take extra precautions.”

A mother who uses meth has three options, Rittel said:

She can stop using the drug and breastfeed her baby.
She can learn how to pump or express breast milk while she is drug-free and store it for later use. Breast milk should not be used for 24 hours following the last administration of the drug.
She can use infant formula."

That information would be common knowledge to any mother who would be breastfeeding. That should be common knowledge to anyone PERIOD. I typically applaud anyone who chooses to breastfeed because breastmilk is made especially for your baby. It offers so many benefits to the child and mother. But, this case makes me sick. I would like to think mother's who chose to nurse their babies are a little less selfish than this. I would hope this is more the exception than the rule. God be with any more children whose mother's choose such selfishness. As you can see above she could've pumped before she used the drug and bottle fed her child breastmilk. However, she chose not to. That's incredibly sad.

Alcohol tested, too?

I was on drugs when I took my children home and prescribed more to take with me (such is the nature c-section delivery). I would have hated for them to keep my children because of this.

I respectfully don't think that this is what was meant by the drug testing comment above. I think they meant illegal drugs, or dangerous drugs. I too had a c-section and was prescribed meds. I chose not to take them and just take a higher dose of advil with my doc's approval, because the meds made her sleep more than she should. Most women can take prescribed medicines while breastfeeding, it just depends on the situation and type of medicines.

I respectfully don't think that this is what was meant by the drug testing comment above. I think they meant illegal drugs, or dangerous drugs. I too had a c-section and was prescribed meds. I chose not to take them and just take a higher dose of advil with my doc's approval, because the meds made her sleep more than she should. Most women can take prescribed medicines while breastfeeding, it just depends on the situation and type of medicines.

Percocet is dangerous drug - substantively, no different than heroin (except you can get them from a doctor OR a dealer on the streets).

Alcohol, while legal, is way more dangerous (for adults and infants) than some legal drugs, IMHO.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I promise. I took narcotic painkillers (as prescribed) while breatsfeeding both of my children. It did not seem to effect them negatively. I can't say the same about broccoli, cabbage or garlic which turned both of my children into gassy, howling banshees if I ingested those and breastfed.

I have no experience with meth, but am still surprised that it killed the infant. Perhaps it metabolizes in a different way than some other substances. It is of course best not to take many medications/drugs/substances (legal or otherwise) while breastfeeding.

The real shock to many, of course, is that a drug addict continued to choose drugs first while also being a mother. Of course, that's not a shock to me because I did the same thing for a year after the birth of my second child. That's not me at my best, of course, or my proudest days as a parent, but I "get" it.

Of course, drug testing at the hospital would have only found "legal" (LOL!) drugs in me and not helped anyone.

SouthCityMom, wasn't implying your were being difficult at all. I appologize if it seemed that way. :blushing:I was only saying I didn't believe the comment regarding drug testing was referring to prescription medications due to c-sections. I too was prescribed narcotic painkillers, which I stated that I chose not to take. But, that was a personal thing, I don't think that they're at all dangerous, otherwise doctor's wouldn't continue to prescribe them. I believe that the poster was referring to ILLICIT drugs, such as meth and herione. Alcohol use while breastfeeding can be very dangerous as well, that's why it is recomended that if you ingest drugs or alcohol to "pump and dump" for at least 24 hours and after that the milk is safe again. I agree that it is best to avoid all drugs while breastfeeding, OTC, prescription or otherwise.

Percocet is dangerous drug - substantively, no different than heroin (except you can get them from a doctor OR a dealer on the streets).

Alcohol, while legal, is way more dangerous (for adults and infants) than some legal drugs, IMHO.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I promise. I took narcotic painkillers (as prescribed) while breatsfeeding both of my children. It did not seem to effect them negatively. I can't say the same about broccoli, cabbage or garlic which turned both of my children into gassy, howling banshees if I ingested those and breastfed.

I have no experience with meth, but am still surprised that it killed the infant. Perhaps it metabolizes in a different way than some other substances. It is of course best not to take many medications/drugs/substances (legal or otherwise) while breastfeeding.

The real shock to many, of course, is that a drug addict continued to choose drugs first while also being a mother. Of course, that's not a shock to me because I did the same thing for a year after the birth of my second child. That's not me at my best, of course, or my proudest days as a parent, but I "get" it.

Of course, drug testing at the hospital would have only found "legal" (LOL!) drugs in me and not helped anyone.

Was the woman aware that she could kill the baby by breastfeeding after taking meth? She shouldn't have been on drugs at all; i'm sure the meth screwed up her judgement if she was aware to begin with. What a mess..

SouthCityMom, wasn't implying your were being difficult at all. I appologize if it seemed that way. :blushing:I was only saying I didn't believe the comment regarding drug testing was referring to prescription medications due to c-sections. I too was prescribed narcotic painkillers, which I stated that I chose not to take. But, that was a personal thing, I don't think that they're at all dangerous, otherwise doctor's wouldn't continue to prescribe them. I believe that the poster was referring to ILLICIT drugs, such as meth and herione. Alcohol use while breastfeeding can be very dangerous as well, that's why it is recomended that if you ingest drugs or alcohol to "pump and dump" for at least 24 hours and after that the milk is safe again. I agree that it is best to avoid all drugs while breastfeeding, OTC, prescription or otherwise.

Thanks for the info you posted on pumping and dumping. I breastfed my 1st for 4 months and my second for 6 weeks - I didn't drink or take any unpresecribed drugs during those periods and am trying to recall if I was ever told or read anything about substances and pumping and dumping.

I mean, it makes complete sense, but I think most of what I heard was - don't drink (using drugs is a given I guess) while you are breastfeeding. As I said before, I was more concerned with how the foods I ate seemed to affect my infants.

Would you recommend pumping and dumping to a Mom who had a glass of wine with dinner? Is there a certain amount of alcohol which is considered safe?

Was the woman aware that she could kill the baby by breastfeeding after taking meth? She shouldn't have been on drugs at all; i'm sure the meth screwed up her judgement if she was aware to begin with. What a mess..

No piece of me believes this woman was aware that what she did could kill her infant. I am shocked that meth use and breatsfeeding can kill an infant. I know former meth users who breastfed while using and none of their children are dead.

Please do not read any of this to say I think it's good to get loaded and breastfeed - I'm just surprised that it can cause a child to die.

Still, I agree with you - what a mess, any way you look at it.

Thanks for the info you posted on pumping and dumping. I breastfed my 1st for 4 months and my second for 6 weeks - I didn't drink or take any unpresecribed drugs during those periods and am trying to recall if I was ever told or read anything about substances and pumping and dumping.

I mean, it makes complete sense, but I think most of what I heard was - don't drink (using drugs is a given I guess) while you are breastfeeding. As I said before, I was more concerned with how the foods I ate seemed to affect my infants.

Would you recommend pumping and dumping to a Mom who had a glass of wine with dinner? Is there a certain amount of alcohol which is considered safe?

In short, no, you don't have to dump after a glass of wine according to some, I believe it is questionable. I will post a couple of links, one to Le Leche League, and one to Kelly Mom, both great sites, somewhat conflicting in answers regarding how much alcohol is safe. I think it is best not to breastfeed while drinking or shortly after, to be on the safe side.
But, again that's my opinion, go to the sites and read what the experts say for the BEST information. I breastfed my daughter for 18 months and found both sites to have good information. Good luck.
Le Leche
http://www.llli.org/FAQ/alcohol.html
Kelly MOm
http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html

and another link on medication:

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/index.html

In short, no, you don't have to dump after a glass of wine according to some, I believe it is questionable. I will post a couple of links, one to Le Leche League, and one to Kelly Mom, both great sites, somewhat conflicting in answers regarding how much alcohol is safe. I think it is best not to breastfeed while drinking or shortly after, to be on the safe side.
But, again that's my opinion, go to the sites and read what the experts say for the BEST information. I breastfed my daughter for 18 months and found both sites to have good information. Good luck.
Le Leche
http://www.llli.org/FAQ/alcohol.html
Kelly MOm
http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/alcohol.html

and another link on medication:

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/index.htmlhttp://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/index.htmlhttp://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/index.html

Thanks, redmama - and Welcome to Websleuths!:)

She was 45. I was expecting this to be a young teen who maybe wouldn't know any better.

SewingDeb - like you, I expected this to be a teen mom who just didn't know about the dangers! This is disgusting! How dare that woman. At the age of 45, there is no excuse for being so STUPID! What was she thinking!!!!! Geeezzzzzz:furious: and :(

Salem

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back