1488 users online (274 members and 1214 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,387

    Off topic/Chit Chat

    Keep the chit chat off topic posts of the regular threads.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,523
    Hi Christine2448,

    Is this a chit-chat on anything thread while waiting on worth-while news or it this a chit-chat on this case thread?

    If it's an anything thread, would someone PLEASE tell me why the hungarian butterhorns I've made keep coming out tasting heavy and flat instead of that artery-clogging melt in the mouth buttery taste I recall from my youth??

    I've tried many different recipes (including one that called for butter, crisco and lard!) to no avail. Someone told me I have to buy european butter as the US removed a detrimental fat that was also part of the great flavor I remember. Any sleuthing bakers who could shine a light on the error of my baking ways?

    Thanks.

  3. #3
    Fandy's Avatar
    Fandy is offline Polite & Interested Newbie, if I don't ask, I'll never know!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    northeast coastline
    Posts
    623
    it may be your dough recipe itself....my mother always used crisco between each layer, these pastries were so light they would float away...(but they were not called butterhorns, please describe) and they were made with ingredients bought in NJ.

    (sorry christine~you'll be slapping me soon)?
    Keeping the Litterbox Clean! (these are not my cats, they are generic~mine are much cuter)!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    12,302
    Since this is off-topic...........it's been reported that President Bush is to make an emergency speech to the nation tonight - July 11th.

    The Security Counsel is in emergency session, and speculation is that the president's speech is related to the conflict between Russia and Georgia.

  5. #5
    Fandy's Avatar
    Fandy is offline Polite & Interested Newbie, if I don't ask, I'll never know!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    northeast coastline
    Posts
    623
    Can someone please tell me how to customize my name so it reads something other than "Registered User"....
    Keeping the Litterbox Clean! (these are not my cats, they are generic~mine are much cuter)!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    12,302
    President Bush just spoke........calling on Russia for an immediate cease fire.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MD 'burbs of Washington DC
    Posts
    5,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
    Can someone please tell me how to customize my name so it reads something other than "Registered User"....
    Go to your CP panel and click on "Edit Details", then in the optional info area, you will see where you can make your own custom user title.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
    it may be your dough recipe itself....my mother always used crisco between each layer, these pastries were so light they would float away...(but they were not called butterhorns, please describe) and they were made with ingredients bought in NJ.

    (sorry christine~you'll be slapping me soon)?
    Thanks, Fandy. I guess it's okay to discuss recipes here. Kind of a good way to offset the heavy emotions of these forums. Butterhorns, from what I recall from my youth, were like a cookie croissant- very buttery but with a melt away cookie texture and often had a filling of nuts or prunes or poppy seeds. What pastry was your mother's recipe for?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    MD 'burbs of Washington DC
    Posts
    5,900
    Hey yall, the Perseids meteor shower peaks in the early morning... by my calculations around 3 a.m. it should be putting on a great show. We are gonna head up to the mountains in the early a.m. to see if we can see anything, and then spend the day doing nature photography. If you get a chance, check the sky out to see if you can spot a shooting star or 2, before dawn.

    Boy do I need this break from the computer... constantly researching stuff on this case, on top of doing my regular work: very draining on the psyche...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    559

    Kind of off topic

    I go back to work a week from now (School system) I am going to have WS
    withdrawal.


  11. #11
    Fandy's Avatar
    Fandy is offline Polite & Interested Newbie, if I don't ask, I'll never know!
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    northeast coastline
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by capoly View Post
    Thanks, Fandy. I guess it's okay to discuss recipes here. Kind of a good way to offset the heavy emotions of these forums. Butterhorns, from what I recall from my youth, were like a cookie croissant- very buttery but with a melt away cookie texture and often had a filling of nuts or prunes or poppy seeds. What pastry was your mother's recipe for?
    these were called KIEFLEs (my hungarian is very rusty and i think this spelling is wrong). it was a dough made in advance with a good slab of crisco between each layer, then chilled before it was rolled out and cut into 2X2 squares. The fillings were ground walnuts/sugar, prune butter (lekvar), stewed apricots, or stewed appleand walnut. I will pick my mothers brain at some point (shes 89 and cant remember new but her old memories are pretty clear). it was a flakey puffed pastry....I will also check with some other older hungarians i know and get back to you.
    Keeping the Litterbox Clean! (these are not my cats, they are generic~mine are much cuter)!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
    Hey yall, the Perseids meteor shower peaks in the early morning... by my calculations around 3 a.m. it should be putting on a great show. We are gonna head up to the mountains in the early a.m. to see if we can see anything, and then spend the day doing nature photography. If you get a chance, check the sky out to see if you can spot a shooting star or 2, before dawn.
    Oh how I DO love this time of the year! When my children were little we used to get our sleeping bags and we'd all go outside and pile up on the trampoline to watch the sky all night long! We had a blast lying there on our backs looking up into the heavens! Last night I took a sleeping bag and a pillow and I layed out on my lounger lawn chair and watched the sky all night long. What a wondrous show the night sky put on for us! I didn't get to bed until 6 am when it was finally too light to see any more.

    I hope your experience watching the sky last night was as awe inspiring as mine was.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    7,884
    How many penguins does it take to screw in a light bulb......

    NONE, when have you ever seen a penguin screw in a light bulb????

    :Banane10::Banane53::bananapowerslide::bananaparty hat::Banane09: hehehe

    Okay, got my joke of the day out.
    Cindi Lou


    Some people may consider me crazy, I say I'm just inspired.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
    these were called KIEFLEs (my hungarian is very rusty and i think this spelling is wrong). it was a dough made in advance with a good slab of crisco between each layer, then chilled before it was rolled out and cut into 2X2 squares. The fillings were ground walnuts/sugar, prune butter (lekvar), stewed apricots, or stewed appleand walnut. I will pick my mothers brain at some point (shes 89 and cant remember new but her old memories are pretty clear). it was a flakey puffed pastry....I will also check with some other older hungarians i know and get back to you.
    Thank you again, Fandy. I looked up the kiefles (some call them kilfi but most spell as you did) and they may be what I am recalling instead of butterhorns. Also think I am making a mistake when refrigerating. Have been wrappping the dough tightly in plastic, have been told that since it is a yeast dough it should be placed in bowl and bowl covered so dough has space to rise. Don't know if that's correct or not but will try.

    Nothing new on Caylee I see. So sad.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleuthster View Post
    How many penguins does it take to screw in a light bulb......

    NONE, when have you ever seen a penguin screw in a light bulb????

    :Banane10::Banane53::bananapowerslide::bananaparty hat::Banane09: hehehe

    Okay, got my joke of the day out.

    From my grandson:

    How do you measure SpongeBob ?




    In SQUARE feet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. OFF TOPIC Chit-Chat
    By Littledeer in forum Skyla Whitaker and Taylor Placker
    Replies: 725
    Last Post: 08-28-2010, 11:12 PM
  2. Off Topic/Chit Chat # 2
    By CW in forum Nancy Cooper
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-02-2009, 02:39 PM
  3. Off Topic/Chit Chat
    By christine2448 in forum Nancy Cooper
    Replies: 522
    Last Post: 12-17-2008, 01:48 PM

Tags for this Thread