Off topic/Chit Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

christine2448

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Keep the chit chat off topic posts of the regular threads.

Hi Christine2448,

Is this a chit-chat on anything thread while waiting on worth-while news or it this a chit-chat on this case thread?

If it's an anything thread, would someone PLEASE tell me why the hungarian butterhorns I've made keep coming out tasting heavy and flat instead of that artery-clogging melt in the mouth buttery taste I recall from my youth??

I've tried many different recipes (including one that called for butter, crisco and lard!) to no avail. Someone told me I have to buy european butter as the US removed a detrimental fat that was also part of the great flavor I remember. Any sleuthing bakers who could shine a light on the error of my baking ways?

Thanks.

it may be your dough recipe itself....my mother always used crisco between each layer, these pastries were so light they would float away...(but they were not called butterhorns, please describe) and they were made with ingredients bought in NJ.

(sorry christine~you'll be slapping me soon)?

Since this is off-topic...........it's been reported that President Bush is to make an emergency speech to the nation tonight - July 11th.

The Security Counsel is in emergency session, and speculation is that the president's speech is related to the conflict between Russia and Georgia.

Can someone please tell me how to customize my name so it reads something other than "Registered User"....

President Bush just spoke........calling on Russia for an immediate cease fire.

Can someone please tell me how to customize my name so it reads something other than "Registered User"....

Go to your CP panel and click on "Edit Details", then in the optional info area, you will see where you can make your own custom user title.

it may be your dough recipe itself....my mother always used crisco between each layer, these pastries were so light they would float away...(but they were not called butterhorns, please describe) and they were made with ingredients bought in NJ.

(sorry christine~you'll be slapping me soon)?

Thanks, Fandy. I guess it's okay to discuss recipes here. Kind of a good way to offset the heavy emotions of these forums. Butterhorns, from what I recall from my youth, were like a cookie croissant- very buttery but with a melt away cookie texture and often had a filling of nuts or prunes or poppy seeds. What pastry was your mother's recipe for?

Hey yall, the Perseids meteor shower peaks in the early morning... by my calculations around 3 a.m. it should be putting on a great show. We are gonna head up to the mountains in the early a.m. to see if we can see anything, and then spend the day doing nature photography. If you get a chance, check the sky out to see if you can spot a shooting star or 2, before dawn.

Boy do I need this break from the computer... constantly researching stuff on this case, on top of doing my regular work: very draining on the psyche...

I go back to work a week from now (School system) I am going to have WS
withdrawal. :boohoo:

Thanks, Fandy. I guess it's okay to discuss recipes here. Kind of a good way to offset the heavy emotions of these forums. Butterhorns, from what I recall from my youth, were like a cookie croissant- very buttery but with a melt away cookie texture and often had a filling of nuts or prunes or poppy seeds. What pastry was your mother's recipe for?

these were called KIEFLEs (my hungarian is very rusty and i think this spelling is wrong). it was a dough made in advance with a good slab of crisco between each layer, then chilled before it was rolled out and cut into 2X2 squares. The fillings were ground walnuts/sugar, prune butter (lekvar), stewed apricots, or stewed appleand walnut. I will pick my mothers brain at some point (shes 89 and cant remember new but her old memories are pretty clear). it was a flakey puffed pastry....I will also check with some other older hungarians i know and get back to you.

Hey yall, the Perseids meteor shower peaks in the early morning... by my calculations around 3 a.m. it should be putting on a great show. We are gonna head up to the mountains in the early a.m. to see if we can see anything, and then spend the day doing nature photography. If you get a chance, check the sky out to see if you can spot a shooting star or 2, before dawn.

Oh how I DO love this time of the year! When my children were little we used to get our sleeping bags and we'd all go outside and pile up on the trampoline to watch the sky all night long! We had a blast lying there on our backs looking up into the heavens! Last night I took a sleeping bag and a pillow and I layed out on my lounger lawn chair and watched the sky all night long. What a wondrous show the night sky put on for us! I didn't get to bed until 6 am when it was finally too light to see any more.

I hope your experience watching the sky last night was as awe inspiring as mine was. :)

How many penguins does it take to screw in a light bulb......

NONE, when have you ever seen a penguin screw in a light bulb????:waitasec:

:Banane10::Banane53::bananapowerslide::bananapartyhat::Banane09: hehehe

Okay, got my joke of the day out.

these were called KIEFLEs (my hungarian is very rusty and i think this spelling is wrong). it was a dough made in advance with a good slab of crisco between each layer, then chilled before it was rolled out and cut into 2X2 squares. The fillings were ground walnuts/sugar, prune butter (lekvar), stewed apricots, or stewed appleand walnut. I will pick my mothers brain at some point (shes 89 and cant remember new but her old memories are pretty clear). it was a flakey puffed pastry....I will also check with some other older hungarians i know and get back to you.

Thank you again, Fandy. I looked up the kiefles (some call them kilfi but most spell as you did) and they may be what I am recalling instead of butterhorns. Also think I am making a mistake when refrigerating. Have been wrappping the dough tightly in plastic, have been told that since it is a yeast dough it should be placed in bowl and bowl covered so dough has space to rise. Don't know if that's correct or not but will try.

Nothing new on Caylee I see. So sad.

How many penguins does it take to screw in a light bulb......

NONE, when have you ever seen a penguin screw in a light bulb????:waitasec:

:Banane10::Banane53::bananapowerslide::bananapartyhat::Banane09: hehehe

Okay, got my joke of the day out.

From my grandson:

How do you measure SpongeBob :sponge: ?

In SQUARE feet :biglaugh:

I don't think there is YEAST in my mother's recipe????? (i'll ask her when i go to bring her dinner today), I may be able to dig up the actual written recipe and will PM to you if you like. think phyillo dough but a bit more consistency.

If I remember correctly, the dough was refridgerated while wrapped in wax paper in a bowl....(but we are going back about 40 years and plastic was considered *new*).

the name changes depending on where you are from. (my mother is hungarian/czhek) There are some similar Polish types of cookies.

you must want these cookies very badly, this recipe was a LOT of work! my mother got lazy in the 70s and switched to a cream-cheese dough which was not puffy.:clap:

Can someone tell me how to get my picture that I uploaded to show up beside my user name when I post? I uploaded a photo to my profile, however it doesn't show up when I'm posting. I read through the instructions forum at the front of Websleuths, but it didn't say anything about this...

OK folks... now I'm craving cookies...lol :crazy:
And none of you live in Utah so you can bring me some. :rolleyes:

you must want these cookies very badly, this recipe was a LOT of work! my mother got lazy in the 70s and switched to a cream-cheese dough which was not puffy.:clap:
(snipped for space)

LOL am going through a time of poor health, have surgery set for next month so am backpeddling in my brain to old sources of comfort! I thought sleuthing might help pass time but I'm too slow on the draw for that. Plus, it is near paralyzing for an old grandma to read of so many horrendous acts occurring within our society. So I'm trying to make that comfort cookie perhaps by the time I achieve success, Caylee, Madeleine, and others like them will be home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77