1120 users online (230 members and 890 guests)  

Websleuths News

The lovely Sacramento Valley in northern California

Another Fatal Fall In The Grand Canyon

GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK, Ariz.** A young man who died when he slipped and fell off the South Rim of the Grand Canyon was identified Saturday as a Canadian citizen....

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,400972,00.html

Here's a youtube video of Yaki Point

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5vqYLX16bE

How sad

I hope his family finds peace.

I must say...I was quite taken aback by the lack of safety measures when I visited the Grand Canyon (in Dec '07).

Visitors are left to go as close to the edge as they feel comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonFlwr View Post
    How sad

I hope his family finds peace.

I must say...I was quite taken aback by the lack of safety measures when I visited the Grand Canyon (in Dec '07).

Visitors are left to go as close to the edge as they feel comfortable with.
    Yeah, but, you can't fence in something as vast as the Grand Canyon. At some point, people have to be trusted to read the many signs of warning and know to stay away from the edge. I was there last summer with our 3 kids. They all had back packs on & I tied them together, so that none of them could wander too close to the edge. My oldest doesn't like heights, so he kept us far away.

Quote Originally Posted by mostlylurking View Post
    Yeah, but, you can't fence in something as vast as the Grand Canyon. At some point, people have to be trusted to read the many signs of warning and know to stay away from the edge. I was there last summer with our 3 kids. They all had back packs on & I tied them together, so that none of them could wander too close to the edge. My oldest doesn't like heights, so he kept us far away.
    And such a fence undertaking would take away from the natural beauty of the Canyon...

I am sorry to hear that this person lost their life, there... peace to his family.

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    You guys should pick up the book Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon. It was really interesting...
    Just thinkin' out loud....

Quote Originally Posted by hipmamajen View Post
    You guys should pick up the book Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon. It was really interesting...
    Oh! Waving hand wildly! I read that book! Bought it in the giftstore to prove a point to Mr. Texana . Me: I bet a lot of people go over the edge here. Mr. Texana: What a morbid mind you have.

The book makes the point that the "Disney" mentality of vacations makes people forget they are in a wilderness area, that took a lot of lives for many, many hundreds of years.

Most if not all people lose their lives due to their own lack of respect for the fences or the physical requirements of hiking.

Every area is fenced off. If you lean way over and get vertigo, or you do as one man did and jump over in an attempt to be a practical joker, you might lose your life.

When we visited we saw many people just unwilling to accept or respect the safety and reality concerns. One woman lit up a cigarette in full view of the "NO SMOKING--fire danger (or whatever the exact wording was) sign.

The book is a very engaging read, and very educational as well.

We took the mule ride to the bottom on the Bright Angel Trail and then came out on the Kaibab Trail. The vertical drops along the trail were quite frightening and it would have been easy for someone to slip off the trail. It is definitely not a Disney ride.

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...
    Quote Originally Posted by Texana View Post

The book is a very engaging read, and very educational as well.
    I thought so, too! I'm glad you found it as interesting as I did
    Just thinkin' out loud....

Quote Originally Posted by hipmamajen View Post
    I thought so, too! I'm glad you found it as interesting as I did
    Clearly, another "morbid mind." :Banane09::Banane09::Banane09:

Hey, wasn't the worst story the one about the dad who was pretending to fall off---went over the guard rail--and then really DID fall to his death?

But again, the book made an excellent and not-often-heard one--that a wilderness area like the Grand Canyon is not DisneyWorld. It's a brutal environment and life-or-death, no matter how pretty the views.

I remember we each drink an entire bottle of water every morning just walking around, you can imagine how dehydrated you'd get hiking without the recommended gallon per hiker. (another frequent cause of death; dehydration and disorientation.)