736 users online (113 members and 623 guests)  

Websleuths News

MI - Janet Kirkup, 53, Jackson, 14 Aug 1992 *R. Kirkup guilty*

Janet Kirkup
    Missing since August 14, 1992 from Jackson, Michigan.
    Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics
    • Age at Time of Disappearance: 53 years old
    • Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Janet Kirkup and her husband sold their home in Apple Valley, MI in 1992 and embarked on a cross-country RV trip.

Shortly after visiting family in Michigan, Janet Kirkup's whereabouts became unknown, and her husband provided little information as to her whereabouts. Janet Kirkup was reported missing by her children in 1992.
    An investigation into her disappearance initially was launched by the Michigan State Police because, at the time, the couple was living in Jackson, MI, and that was the last place they were seen together.

It was long believed that Robert Kirkup killed his wife while they were near Buffalo, N.Y.

Police reopened the investigation in 2008, and got a confession from the husband on June 17. Kirkup told two San Bernardino County, CA, detectives he killed his wife on August 14, 1992, and that he buried her body in New York.

Kirkup is presumed buried in the wooded area of Batavia, west of Buffalo.
    Her body has not been recovered.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
    Michigan State Police
    OR
    San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office
    909-387-3690

Source Information:

Buffalo News
    The Press-Enterprise
    The Doe Network Case File 2627DFMI

Man Sentenced in 15-Year-Old Murder Case

http://www.rnews.com/Story_2004.cfm?..._story_type=18

Man Sentenced in 15-Year-Old Murder Case
    by Scott Fairbanks
    Published Sep 22, 2008

Sentencing was held Monday in a Genesee County murder case that is more than 15-years-old.

Robert Kirkup, 68, of Big River, California was sentenced to 5 to 15 years in prison for manslaughter. Police say that Kirkup confessed to killing his wife Janet. She disappeared in August of 1992 while on a road trip with Robert.

Police believe Janet was killed in the Batavia area, however her remains have not been found.

Normally I'd say to hold off any source of food or water until he told authorities where the body is located.

But, we're a nice country now. We don't do things like that.

I know this would be a little off on age, and soooo close that I can't think that this was already checked into.... but what do you think about this DOE?

http://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,1607,7...5549--,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by mtrooper View Post
    I know this would be a little off on age, and soooo close that I can't think that this was already checked into.... but what do you think about this DOE?

A couple of points that come to mind...The Doe Network entry states that Janet was reported missing on August 14th of '92. It isn't stated if this is the last time she was seen by family members or when they actually filed the report. If this was in fact the last time she was seen alive, a lot would depend on when in August the remains were found. MSP site states the Doe was skeletonized, but had only been killed 4 to 7 days before being discovered.
    The location is interesting though, as New Buffalo MI is some 155 miles west of Jackson MI. I find no reason to accept the husband's account as to where he dumped Janet, and if he were headed to CA (where he was arrested some years later) this location makes all the more sense.

Jurisdiction

I wonder why California authorities have jurisdiction over this case whether it occurred in Michigan or New York. I wonder if he stated that he buried her in Buffalo and the police assumed that he meant Buffalo, New York.

An intentional misdirection perhaps..? I'd be interested in knowing how the NY info came about in the first place, as it seems to have been a matter of speculation even before the confession.

Quote Originally Posted by mtrooper View Post

The Buffalo/New Buffalo connection is interesting, and the faces are similar. They seem pretty clear this woman was older -- Kirkup at 51 is not exactly elderly. Plus there's no mention that she had dentures. So it seems like a long shot, but probably worth sending it in.

Bump

Janet has been missing 18 years today. Come home soon.

The 20th anniversary of Janet's disappearance is approaching. Her husband was convicted of killing her and was sentenced to prison for 5 to 15 years. He will probably be up for parole soon, if he isn't already out. Janet's body has never been recovered/identified.