TN TN - Mattie Wilson, 55, Memphis, 30 July 2008

hoppyfrog

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/mos...ntent_id=54b1445b-9f28-40ff-9b68-02badbc93ff2

10 Aug 08

Mattie Wilson, a former secretary for the Memphis City Council, a mother of two and grandmother of nine, has been missing for nine days. And her daughter, Helen Hammond, is devastated.

"I don't know how this could have happened," says Hammond.

Wilson spent three weeks at The Med after suffering a stroke. She was discharged Tuesday, without the family's knowledge, and disappeared soon after. Hammond says she'd been working with social workers at the hospital to get her mother placed in an assisted-living facility or a nursing home. Instead, Mattie Wilson, wound up at homeless shelter.

"For them to send a person who just had a stroke, her second stroke, to a homeless shelter with a bag of medication," says Hammond, "I don't see how that's possible."

Wilson was taken to a run-down home in Frayser owned by "The Restoration House", an agency that's been providing a warm meal and a bed to Memphis area homeless people for more than a decade.

Shelter employee Sandra Scruggs say Wilson was dropped off at the house and within an hour was gone.

"She came through the door," says Scruggs, "and walked right out after she used the bathroom. And we haven't seen her since."

Scruggs says she didn't know Wilson was a stroke patient because they didn't have time to complete her intake paperwork.

and

Mattie Wilson was last seen wearing blue jeans and a white t-shirt. Her family says she walks with a limp and has slurred speech. She stands 5 feet 4 inches tall and weighs about 106 pounds. Anyone with information should call the Memphis Police Missing Persons Bureau at 901-545-2677.

Wilson's family has been posting flyers in Frayser and in South Memphis, where Mattie grew up. They are also offering a $500 reward for any information that leads to the safe return of their mother.

The Med, meanwhile, declined comment about the case. In a prepared statement, a hospital spokesperson says, "We cannot confirm or deny any information relating to the patient due to Federal Regulations concerning patient privacy."

much more at link

pic
thumb_1218250842812_0p9213686975264039.jpg

What a scary and apalling story !! And notice that they are now using HIPAA laws to defend themselves "The Med, meanwhile, declined comment about the case. In a prepared statement, a hospital spokesperson says, "We cannot confirm or deny any information relating to the patient due to Federal Regulations concerning patient privacy.""

I hope they find her quickly, and that she is safe and in okay health.

I hope they find this poor woman before something unthinkable happens to her!

JMHO
fran

http://www.abc24.com/news/local/sto...ch-for-Woman-with/Jk3UXDM9H02xDVsIfg50RQ.cspx
Police Re-Release City Watch for Woman with Dementia
The Memphis Police Department says Mattie Wilson disappeared without a trace. Wilson was 55-years-old when she vanished four years ago.
It's a case that started July 30th, 2008 at The MED. According to Mattie Wilson's family, she suffered from dementia and had just suffered from a stroke. The family says someone at The MED placed her in a taxi and sent her off.

Unbelievable. That is the worst, possibly illegal, discharge planning I have seen or read about in almost 30 years as an RN. The nurse or social worker involved should have at least lost their professional license and possibly been charged criminally under some adult-/elder abuse laws. I realize she was young in age, but I am sure she was on Medicare and legally disabled. She had 9 kids and the discharge planner could not talk to 1 of them prior to discharge?? Shocking lack of professionalism, let alone morally revolting.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back