Nancy Cooper, 34, of Cary, N.C. #20

Status
Not open for further replies.

christine2448

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Please continue GENERAL discussions here. Look around Nancy has her own forum, there are several threads started on specific topics to try and stay organized.

Links to previous and similar threads can be found toward the bottom of the page.

Newbies.....

WELCOMETOWSBLUE.gif

I am sad such a tragedy is bringing us all together.

I advise everyone to read the RULES of WS, Long and Short Version .

Roy,

I'm curious why you are thinking EVERYTHING is hearsey ?

Do you think Chief Bazemore was not telling the truth when she said there were no reported sightings of Nancy in the press conference on the evening of the 14th ?

Here's my latest opinion. I remember when there was the press conference via the police, and one of Nancy Cooper's family members (I think one of her sisters) said something about the killer being a coward. The word cowardice was used by her.

The killer (in my opinion, I'm betting on BC) may have used a cowardly way of killing her. IF she came home under the influence of alcohol, say, he could have used that to somehow make it easier to bring her down. Or, he could've used a drug, or just hit her with something. A drug would have made it more planned, I think, so I'm not betting on that so much.

Do I sound like an amateur? I am!

I just think he would have been cowardly in his ways of bringing on her demise. Or at least in his cover-ups after the fact.

I've always thought that NC's family knew enough to come out and say the "cowardly" comment, and the comment about the killer coming forward and admitting it. They know something we don't.

Things are a bit boring here. I wish that some of our Canadian folks who possibly knew Brad's mom and dad would speak up. I'm always interested in the family dynamics behind someone who exhibits personality disorders, or shall we say emotional problems. The ex-girlfriend and others have spoken out from his past.

Love to hear from Medicine Hat in Canada if anyone actually knows BC's mom. Even better, old elementary through high school teachers he had? Did he do team sports, etc.? A common thread would arise in his personality perhaps. WHETHER he did the crime or not.

Well, certainly they do since they've interacted with him face to face over the years of knowing him. They have a very personal take on BC that we don't.

They may well have knowledge that we don't but I think that would be unusual if LE shared any details with them.

raisincharlie said:
So you believe a presser on the 16th in which they said nothing should not have been allowed ? The one on the 17th - the press had questions of them - should that have been disallowed as well ? And the one on the 18th they expressed thanks, assured people the kids were okay, and announced memorial services and responded to questions should also have been disallowed ?
Since I brought up the issue about the press conferences, I'll respond. As I said when I originally mentioned it, I didn't expect my opinion on them to be popular here. That's fine.

The general opinion here seems to be that Brad has not been sufficiently "public" since his wife's death. I.e., not at the press conferences and not at public memorials. I was just expressing my opinion that people can also be too public in some cases.

I just went back and listened to the first few minutes of the 7/18 press conference. The police chief said that the investigation was progressing well, that she wouldn't take any questions, detailed the plans for a memorial service, and then she said that the family wanted to talk about the children. They discussed the personalities of the children (how they differed, etc), how the children got along with cousins, etc, etc.

I personally don't see why there is any public need to know of information related to 4 and 2 year old children of a murder victim. I seems that all the public needs to know is that the children are safe and are being cared for. I can't imagine seeing my in-laws sitting in front of cameras discussing my children.

The 7/17 press conference was similar in nature, but was focused on Nancy.

As far as whether the conferences should have been "disallowed", I guess that's the Cary Police's call. To me, if the family felt that the public needed to know personal information about Nancy and the children, a more appropriate venue would have been the Today Show or Larry King rather than a Cary Police news conference.

JMHO and I don't have a problem with people having the different opinions.

Since I brought up the issue about the press conferences, I'll respond. As I said when I originally mentioned it, I didn't expect my opinion on them to be popular here. That's fine.

The general opinion here seems to be that Brad has not been sufficiently "public" since his wife's death. I.e., not at the press conferences and not at public memorials. I was just expressing my opinion that people can also be too public in some cases.

I just went back and listened to the first few minutes of the 7/18 press conference. The police chief said that the investigation was progressing well, that she wouldn't take any questions, detailed the plans for a memorial service, and then she said that the family wanted to talk about the children. They discussed the personalities of the children (how they differed, etc), how the children got along with cousins, etc, etc.

I personally don't see why there is any public need to know of information related to 4 and 2 year old children of a murder victim. I seems that all the public needs to know is that the children are safe and are being cared for. I can't imagine seeing my in-laws sitting in front of cameras discussing my children.

As far as whether the conferences should have been "disallowed", I guess that's the Cary Police's call. To me, if the family felt that the public needed to know personal information about Nancy and the children, a more appropriate venue would have been the Today Show or Larry King rather than a Cary Police news conference.

I see this very differently. Had her parents gone on the syndicated shows such as you reference, they would have been open to accusations by Brad and others that they were sensationalizing this tragedy and exploiting those children. In the confines of the Cary PD press room, they were communicating with the community that knew Nancy, with the Cary community and they controlled what was being asked and not being put on the spot by some half asleep codger like Larry King.

I think part of the problem is...
Cary has only had 3or4 murders in 9 yrs. This is not something the CPD have encountered too often, and like anything you have to learn on trial and error if it was good or not to do anything in the manner they did. They will know by public opinion after all is said and done.

As we all know this is unprecedented to where the victims family moved in and took the children with no notice what so ever. The biological parent is alive and not been named a suspect or POI. IMO this in itself was a concern to many of us as to how the girls are doing and see how this happened and for what reasons.

This was their way to say the girls are adjusting and doing well, then to go on national tv and parade them.

Raisincharlie said: "... some half asleep codger like Larry King..." :D

LOL

I see this very differently. Had her parents gone on the syndicated shows such as you reference, they would have been open to accusations by Brad and others that they were sensationalizing this tragedy and exploiting those children. In the confines of the Cary PD press room, they were communicating with the community that knew Nancy, with the Cary community and they controlled what was being asked and not being put on the spot by some half asleep codger like Larry King.

:spit:

Cary has only had 3or4 murders in 9 yrs. This is not something the CPD have encountered too often, and like anything you have to learn on trial and error if it was good or not to do anything in the manner they did. They will know by public opinion after all is said and done.

As we all know this is unprecedented to where the victims family moved in and took the children with no notice what so ever. The biological parent is alive and not been named a suspect or POI. IMO this in itself was a concern to many of us as to how the girls are doing and see how this happened and for what reasons.

This was their way to say the girls are adjusting and doing well, then to go on national tv and parade them.

Just a comment on the CPD - IMO

Since murder investigations are not that common in Cary, I am hoping the CPD has had lots of opportunity to go to training to prepare for such an event. They certainly have not had much on the job training as a group. Still, the community has high expectations of them and I am sure they are acutely aware of that.

I agree this established them as a grieving family concerned for the babies who were fast becoming the focus of the public and press. I think this was a very nice way of saying, the girls are going back to Canada to be protected from the circus of the investigation and the media, so kindly let us be in peace with them far, far away.

Also, someone stated this some threads back that these kinds of pressers are pretty common in missing persons cases which this started out being.

I agree with you completly. Your opinion on this board might not be popular, but I remember on the comments section of the WRAL board that many posters were yelling for the publicity to stop. They thought it was way over the top. Many here have tried and convicted Brad because he did not attend the Memorial services with his children. I am not real certain he could have even if he would have wanted to.
Let us remember the Rentz family had a large number of police officers surround him and take the children from him crying. They did this on a Ex Parte Court Order claiming the children were in danger if they were in his care. Even now he can not visit the children without supervised visitation. Let's just suppose he did show up at the Memorial service. It would not have surprised me in the least if the Rentz would had him arrested for being a threat to the children or whatever charge they might have sneaked past the judge earlier that day. At the very best, everone could read the tension in the air between the Rentz and Brad. I very much respect that he stepped back and allowed her the decency of having a Memorial service without all that tension in the air. Until you have grieved alone or in secret I wouldn't expect you to understand.

If Brad is guilty, there is no reason for Brad to go to any of the services, and if he is innocent, IMO, he certainly doesn't owe it to Nancy's family to go. If he is innocent his first duty right now is to get his children back. IMO.

Roy,

I'm curious why you are thinking EVERYTHING is hearsey ?

Do you think Chief Bazemore was not telling the truth when she said there were no reported sightings of Nancy in the press conference on the evening of the 14th ?

I believe he said that but she is not leaning in any direction in saying that. She has said that Nancy was murdered, Brad is cooperating and it is not an isolated event. In any case, she has not tipped her hand at all. The fact that nobody saw Nancy could mean a whole lot but the Chief has not led us to believe anything as far as I can tell.

You make a good point but I don't live there. In almost all cases, the police release a heck of a lot more than they are doing here. That is why Brad's attorneys are getting whatever they can. I just think if this was simple they would have a POI. Any sign of struggle in the home and Brad is in jail.

Does anyone remember when a pregnant Cary woman was murdered by her husband when he pushed her over a bridge onto a Cary greenway? I don't even remember the decade it happened in, but I'm thinking the 1990's. There's a Cary murder that I bet has gone forgotten.

I believe he said that but she is not leaning in any direction in saying that. She has said that Nancy was murdered, Brad is cooperating and it is not an isolated event. In any case, she has not tipped her hand at all. The fact that nobody saw Nancy could mean a whole lot but the Chief has not led us to believe anything as far as I can tell.

You make a good point but I don't live there. In almost all cases, the police release a heck of a lot more than they are doing here. That is why Brad's attorneys are getting whatever they can. I just think if this was simple they would have a POI. Any sign of struggle in the home and Brad is in jail.

Ok - I got it. Just checking - thanks :)

I agree with you completly. Your opinion on this board might not be popular, but I remember on the comments section of the WRAL board that many posters were yelling for the publicity to stop. They thought it was way over the top. Many here have tried and convicted Brad because he did not attend the Memorial services with his children. I am not real certain he could have even if he would have wanted to. let us remember the Rentz family had the a large number of police officer surround him and take the children from him crying. They did this on a Ex Parte Cort Order claiming the children were in danger if they were in his care. Even now he can not visit the children without supervised visitation. Let's just suppose he did show up at the Memorial service. It would not have surprised me in the least if the Rentz would had him arrested for being a threat to the children or whatever charge they might have sneaked past the judge earlier that day.

If Brad is guilty, there is no reason for brad to go to any of the services, and if he is innocent, IMO, he certainly doesn't owe it to Nancy's family to go. If he is innocent his first duty right now is to get his children back. IMO.

Regarding public appearances - Brad seemed to be in a da*ned if you do da*ned if you don't type of situation. Given that, I have a hard time judging him negatively for not attending the various events. He may have felt the best thing to do for the children was to just lay low. Besides, these public events were for the most part orchestrated by NC's parents.

Things are a bit boring here. I wish that some of our Canadian folks who possibly knew Brad's mom and dad would speak up. I'm always interested in the family dynamics behind someone who exhibits personality disorders, or shall we say emotional problems. The ex-girlfriend and others have spoken out from his past.

Love to hear from Medicine Hat in Canada if anyone actually knows BC's mom. Even better, old elementary through high school teachers he had? Did he do team sports, etc.? A common thread would arise in his personality perhaps. WHETHER he did the crime or not.

hi ncnative :seeya:

I wish we would hear from relatives, friends......anyone close to this case....I know it's asking for too much but.....I still wish it anyway.

At least we do have many locals posting here and I really like that......ya'll have been able to give us a better idea of what the scenario is like there and it helps.

momto3kids said:
Tonight my husband brought up a good point that I had not thought of....

By pushing for the psychiatric test as NC's family is, if it proves BC does have some psychological issues, then IMO K&B are going to jump all over it in their defense for BC if he gets charged with murder. Should we be handing them this on a silver platter?

It's a good point. Here's my thought on it: The top priority in the moment for NC's family is permanent custody of the children. They may have their suspicions of who the perpetrator is, or they may know for sure it is (or isn't) BC. [For example, they may already know it falls in the Theory B (someone besides BC that knows NC did it) category for example.

Nevertheless, they are 100% of the opinion (regardless of who did it), that what's best for the kids is for them to have custody (they are also convinced, as are most NC's friends who submitted affidavits, that this is what Nancy would want).

So, in the moment, that's their #1 priority (custody), with less regard for any impacts on the criminal investigation.

If they already (somehow) know that BC didn't do it (but of course aren't at liberty to say that per advice from LE), yet still don't want him to have the children, then there's even less (zero) conflict between the custody battle, and the criminal investigation anyway.

If BC did do it, and somehow, someway the (potentially ordered) psyche evaluation helps with a (however many years from now) defense, then NC's family may exchange that in return for solidifying their custody case (in the near-term).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni