Article: Ramsey case won't get special treatment

candy

Inactive
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Owens’ spokeswoman Kristen Hubbell said Tuesday the governor stands by a special commission’s finding in 1999 that recommended against a special prosecutor.

“At this time the governor is not going to appoint a special prosecutor in the JonBenet Ramsey case,” Hubbell said.

http://www.longmontfyi.com/regionstate.htm#story2

Ramsey case won’t get special treatment
By Travis Henry
The Daily Times-Call

BOULDER — In the enclave of Boulder — where crime stories seem to take on a life of their own — the University of Colorado recruiting scandal and the JonBenet Ramsey murder investigation were destined to collide.

Using the withdrawal of District Attorney Mary Keenan from the CU case as ammunition, a man who seems obsessed with all things Ramsey has asked that Gov. Bill Owens assign a special prosecutor to the 6-year-old girl’s 1996 murder.

Fleet White, the former best friend of John Ramsey, claims that Keenan should be removed from the Ramsey case for the same reasons a special prosecutor was appointed to look into improprieties allegedly committed by CU football players and recruits.

Keenan said the Ramsey case “belongs to Boulder” and that comparisons to the CU case are not relevant.

“(White) is making an analogy, but it doesn’t really fit,” Keenan said Tuesday.

Owens’ spokeswoman Kristen Hubbell said Tuesday the governor stands by a special commission’s finding in 1999 that recommended against a special prosecutor.

“At this time the governor is not going to appoint a special prosecutor in the JonBenet Ramsey case,” Hubbell said.

In February, Owens assigned Attorney General Ken Salazar to take the lead in the CU investigation after a firestorm erupted when a deposition from Keenan was released in which she accused CU of using sex and alcohol to lure recruits.

The deposition was taken as part of a lawsuit against the university filed by former CU student Lisa Simpson, who claims she was raped by football players and recruits at a Dec. 7, 2001, off-campus party.

Keenan asked that a special prosecutor take over for her “to ensure public confidence in the criminal process.”

She said that her role as a witness in the Simpson case could undermine “complete confidence in the outcome of any criminal investigations if ultimate decisions as to whether to prosecute are made solely by my office.”

White, who has asked several times that the governor appoint a special prosecutor, claims that Keenan’s potential involvement in a lawsuit against Fox News by the Ramseys should also result in her removal. John and Patsy Ramsey are suing Fox News after the network fingered their son as JonBenet’s killer.

Keenan might end up a witness in that case because of her statements that support “an intruder theory,” which would exonerate members of the Ramsey family.

In letters to Owens and Keenan, White — who communicates to the media only through fax — claims that Keenan’s involvement in the Fox lawsuit would hurt the Ramsey investigation. In March, Fleet White, and his wife, Priscilla, met with Owens’ lawyers to express their concerns. In the meeting and in the letters, White said the outcome of the Ramsey case is more important to the state than the CU investigation.

“One involved questionable, unsubstantiated or non-prosecutable allegations of sexual assault involving adults; the other involves the abuse torture and homicide of a six-year-old child,” White wrote. “There is absolutely no doubt as to which case represents the greatest threat to the public’s respect and confidence in the criminal justice system.”

White said since his meeting with Owens’ staff, the governor has not responded to his request for a special prosecutor.

Keenan said a special prosecutor in the CU case was appropriate because CU is a state institution and the case involves multiple jurisdictions. She said that the media coverage also was causing a perception that she was biased against the university.

Hubbell pointed out that Keenan herself asked for a special prosecutor to look into the allegations against CU and echoed Keenan’s multi-jurisdiction argument.

Keenan said the Ramsey case is in good hands with the team of investigators she has assembled.

Late last year, DNA found in the underwear that JonBenet Ramsey was wearing when she was murdered was submitted to the FBI’s national DNA databank.

“We will keep on it as long as we feel we are making forward progress,” Keenan said.

White has been involved in the Ramsey case since day one. He was with John Ramsey when JonBenet’s body was found in the wine cellar of the Ramseys’ home, and at first he supported John and Patsy Ramsey’s claims of innocence.

At some point, White became convinced of their guilt and started a campaign to have the governor remove former District Attorney Alex Hunter and appoint an independent prosecutor to the case.

In October 2001, White was sentenced to 30 days in jail by a Jefferson County judge after he ignored two subpoenas in a Ramsey-related trial.

Thanks Candy.

Well so much for the Ramsey argument that if they were guilty, they wouldn't be demanding an investigation and they would go quietly into the woodwork.

These are the same people who suspect FW and his wife of murdering JBR.

No matter what one's opinion of FW is, only the RST suspect him of the murder.

At least FW is keeping her name alive in the state of Colorado and the newspapers. The Ramseys are only keeping their own names alive in the interest of political aspirations and self serving bulls**t

Maybe we can get him to do the "talking heads show circuit" to discuss his feelings. Ya think they'd sue Fleet White? Can they sue the stations that would have him on as a guest if he is the only one spouting anti-Ramsey rhetoric? Candy, do you know? I'd be curious

Is there a date on this article? I don't understand why that was omitted.

White still wants the case investigated, solved, and an arrest resulting in conviction.

I want that, too.

White wants a special prosecutor named.

I'm satisfied at present with the ongoing investigation from the DA's office.

LovelyPigeon said:
The DA's office is nothing but left-overs from Hunter's losers. Even Trip Demuth left to collect on the debt owed him for sabotaging the Ramsey case, and he went to work for Bynum.

Anything to do with Keenan and her ilk is about as productive as watching a collection of bobbleheads.

LovelyPigeon said:
White still wants the case investigated, solved, and an arrest resulting in conviction.
I want that, too.

That's not gonna happen unless this case is taken away from Boulder altogether. Keenan will not solve this case, nor will anyone associated with the Boulder DA, past or present

White wants a special prosecutor named.
So do I and many others

I know. So are the Ramseys. Why wouldn't they be?

"I'm satisfied at present with the ongoing investigation from the DA's office."

Why? What progress has Tom Bennett made? Do you have insight that Boulder residents like the Whites don't have?

It's interesting that anyone could be "satisfied" with the (alleged) ongoing investigation, when no one knows what the status of that (alleged) ongoing investigation is. It's been nearly a year and a half since Keenan arbitrarily took the case away from the BPD, and during that time there have been no progress reports of which I am aware.

With that in mind, it seems those who say they are satisfied with the (alleged) ongoing investigation must really mean they are satisfied that pro-Ramsey investigators are running the show. Frankly, I doubt there is much investigating going on at all, but it's necessary to perpetrate the myth to keep the hungry wolf from Keenan's door. How many more years will it take for the public to realize the so-called investigation is a joke?

The Ramseys are not being investigated.

The intruder is.

The intruder does not exist. That investigation is a tunnel without an end.

That's the way Boulder does things.

Why would Owens stir up the madhouse? What possible political advantage would he gain?

Fleet White is up against the power structure of Boulder County and the Republican party. He's trying to pull strings from a powerless postion.

The JonBenet case is better left unsolved as it is corrosive to the Boulder culture. In the long run society is better served if the Boulder culture crumbles even if the JonBenet case never goes to trial.

Bennett is not a "pro-Ramsey investigator". Unlike Looney Lou, who other members of LE refer to as "a disgrace to hard-working police officers"; Bennett is considered a pro.

However, I doubt the Ramsey case is very far up Keenan's priority list, and Keenan is Bennett's boss.

I know that Bennett is considered not to be a pro-Ramsey investigator; however, I doubt he has much clout within the Ramsey-oriented investigation team. Smit has tried to run rough-shod over the public with his silly crockumentaries, and Keenan, the boss, is in Smit's camp. I suspect he's tried to shove his theories down Bennett's throat, too. Like I said before, how is anyone to know what is being done in the investigation? There are no checks and balances, no public scrutiny allowed.

Let's put it this way - if the RST is satisfied with it, it means any investigation is focused solely on trying to manufacture a non-existent intruder. How can that be fair and unbiased? It's not.

What investigation? There's an investigation? :)

Keenan learned a lot from the Ram$eys. Like the Ramseys admitted, they hired investigators to keep them out of jail. Keenan has NAMED investigators to keep Boulder out of Lin Wood's lawsuit.

Both have been successful

BrotherMoon said:
Fleet White is up against the power structure of Boulder County and the Republican party.

BrotherMoon,

Boulder is and has always been run lock, stock and barrel by the Democatic Party.

JMO

Barbara pretty much said it....

I think FW knows something no one else knows...

I too wish Fleet White would go public since he is going nowhere with the law...he should start on LKL...like the Ramseys did.

BlueCrab said:
BrotherMoon,

Boulder is and has always been run lock, stock and barrel by the Democatic Party.

JMO

I know that you dolt.

FW is trying to jerk Owens' chain, and he is republican. For some reason FW thinks he can push the buttons of people in power just by writing his stupid letters. Kinda like Thomas thought he could get something done by writing his book and publishing his stupid theory.

Toltec said:
I too wish Fleet White would go public since he is going nowhere with the law...he should start on LKL...like the Ramseys did.

Yah, but then FW wouldn't be able to fancy himself a super hero.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back