TX - Cameron Boone, 3, dies in hot car, Houston, 14 Aug 2008

Texana

Overreaching
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
When I saw this Houston Chronicle article, I thought they must have made a mistake on the location, but no, the second child in as many days has died from being left in a hot locked car:

http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/c...-year-old-tried-in-vain-to-escape-1774076.php

The other child was left by a female relative, not the parent, who is facing criminal charges.

I am honestly at a loss as to what to think or say now. Part of me thinks the parents have too much on their minds and part of me thinks who could forget about the child?

This is an epidemic it seems.

When I saw this Houston Chronicle article, I thought they must have made a mistake on the location, but no, the second child in as many days has died from being left in a hot locked car:

http://www.click2houston.com/news/17194134/detail.html

The other child was left by a female relative, not the parent, who is facing criminal charges.

I am honestly at a loss as to what to think or say now. Part of me thinks the parents have too much on their minds and part of me thinks who could forget about the child?

I just saw this on the local news tonight. I just can't wrap my brain around how someone could forget a child in the car.

The news report I saw said there has been 26 deaths this summer from being left in hot cars, with 4 of them being here in Harris County.

I just don't understand how this can keep happening over and over and over and over.

I just do NOT get it.

:(
fran

I can understand be very frazzled and having your mind go a thousand times a minute. I get that. I'm queen of frazzle. I cannot possibly comprehend forgetting your own child in the car. It truly blows my mind. I was watching, I think it was the Weather Channel, suggestions of being sure you do not leave your child in the car when you put them in it. Place your pocketbook with them. Or anything else you know you will need for the day. So simple are these suggestions. Suggestions that could save a child from death as well as a parent living the anguish of unintentionally killing their child.

So very, very tragic. :(

I can understand be very frazzled and having your mind go a thousand times a minute. I get that. I'm queen of frazzle. I cannot possibly comprehend forgetting your own child in the car. It truly blows my mind. I was watching, I think it was the Weather Channel, suggestions of being sure you do not leave your child in the car when you put them in it. Place your pocketbook with them. Or anything else you know you will need for the day. So simple are these suggestions. Suggestions that could save a child from death as well as a parent living the anguish of unintentionally killing their child.

So very, very tragic. :(

I am trying to figure out how you would remember your pocketbook, but not your kid? I have forgot my purse, but never my kids. Don't see where this should be an issue...........
Shauna

I am trying to figure out how you would remember your pocketbook, but not your kid? I have forgot my purse, but never my kids. Don't see where this should be an issue...........
Shauna

The thought is if you place your pocketbook next to your child (who normally is in the backseat of the car, not beside you in the front), you will remember to look back to where you placed your bag and see your child.

There are many of us who would never forget our child and I'm sure any one of these parents who have forgotten their dead child would have stated the exact same thing. It's not a planned murder, but a sign that many parents are overwhelmed with trying to do all that they can. Sadly, the child is the one who suffers for it in these cases.

With all these cases just this year, it is an issue that needs to be addressed more often. Perhaps a public service ad on TV as well as on highway ad boards.....

The thought is if you place your pocketbook next to your child (who normally is in the backseat of the car, not beside you in the front), you will remember to look back to where you placed your bag and see your child.

There are many of us who would never forget our child and I'm sure any one of these parents who have forgotten their dead child would have stated the exact same thing. It's not a planned murder, but a sign that many parents are overwhelmed with trying to do all that they can. Sadly, the child is the one who suffers for it in these cases.

With all these cases just this year, it is an issue that needs to be addressed more often. Perhaps a public service ad on TV as well as on highway ad boards.....

If you search the boards you wll find many threads about this happening.

I had done some research on car seat alarms....this was some time ago, there were some out there that were being tested, by NASA IIRC....I will try and find it.

That would be the answer, the seat beeps if there is a child in it when you open your door or get out of your seat or something of the like.

ETA...googled car seat alarm CLICK HERE for results

If you search the boards you wll find many threads about this happening.

I had done some research on car seat alarms....this was some time ago, there were some out there that were being tested, by NASA IIRC....I will try and find it.

That would be the answer, the seat beeps if there is a child in it when you open your door or get out of your seat or something of the like.

ETA...googled car seat alarm CLICK HERE for results

Oh, I know how often this happens and how it has gotten worse over the last several years. The idea of having an alarm within the car would be *wonderful*! Especially if it did involve the drivers seatbelt or even a special chime that would go off when you take your key out the ignition. That would be absolutely brilliant!

http://www.click2houston.com/news/17194134/detail.html

the worst part about his one IMHO - the poor little baby was left in the truck in a HOSPITAL PARKING LOT, where one typically hears of lives being saved. :( just heartbreaking.

That's so horrible, to think he found a key and tried to get out.

I think people do have too much on their minds, unfortunately. An alarm system would be a great idea.

There is no excuse for this happening. I have 4 children and 2 (6 kids under 12) that live with us and there is NO forgetting them.

Frazzled and overwhelmed is no excuse for being an idiot. I have no pity for the parents. LOCK THEM UP forever.

Google the murder that happened here in Nashville Tennessee recently where moms "boyfriend" left the baby alone in the car while going to an electronics store. He lives in my friends neighborhood. He has the balls to live the good life, swimming, hunting, fishing, going out to eat while waiting trial. I made sure he knows just what kind of he really is last time I seen him out. He should stay home and rot until they throw his butt in prison. I keep hoping someone in the neighborhood gets sick of seeing his smug butt out and kicks it. He deserves the DP in my opinion.

I feel the the need to make sure I'm understood in my opinion. Any person who leaves their child in a car so that they can go out and enjoy what they feel "entitled" to deserves what they get. It is horrific to me that any person would put their child last. Before a bar, a party, or anything that revolves around their own beyond selfish wants.

That said, the tragic fact is some of these deaths are due to parents simply going to work. I know what it's like to juggle a family and a job. These people screwed up and these screw ups have cost them and their child. It does not make them horrific and selfish people. It does make them parents who failed due to life their child. Do they deserve a slap on the wrist? No. Do they deserve a long imprisonment, I don't think so. I don't think everything that happens in life fits in one fixed judgment box. I cannot even begin to imagine living the Hell they have for and within themselves...

IMVHO.

I feel the the need to make sure I'm understood in my opinion. Any person who leaves their child in a car so that they can go out and enjoy what they feel "entitled" to deserves what they get. It is horrific to me that any person would put their child last. Before a bar, a party, or anything that revolves around their own beyond selfish wants.

That said, the tragic fact is some of these deaths are due to parents simply going to work. I know what it's like to juggle a family and a job. These people screwed up and these screw ups have cost them and their child. It does not make them horrific and selfish people. It does make them parents who failed due to life their child. Do they deserve a slap on the wrist? No. Do they deserve a long imprisonment, I don't think so. I don't think everything that happens in life fits in one fixed judgment box. I cannot even begin to imagine living the Hell they have for and within themselves...

IMVHO.

You know, it actually seems like there have been less of these types of cases this summer.

I'm with you, Ordinary. I actually do understand how a parent could forget a child in the car. When the parent forgets and the child dies, the worst imagineable price has been exacted.

When a parent leaves a child in a car on purpose to go pursue selfish pastimes - shopping, partying, boyfriend - I think that's full-out neglect and should be handled accordingly.

When parents leave their child in a car on purpose while going to work, it almost always involves a situation with a young single Mom with limited resources trying desparately to make ends meet. And again - the price paid is exhorbitant. (I remember one such case that happened in my hometown - when the Mother came back and found her young children dead in the car, she killed herself shortly thereafter).

My prayers to the families who are walking through this. I've made my fair share of parenting boners and I'm fairly certain more are in store. None of my mistakes has led to the death of a child. There but for the grace of God, IMHO.

Oh, I know how often this happens and how it has gotten worse over the last several years. The idea of having an alarm within the car would be *wonderful*! Especially if it did involve the drivers seatbelt or even a special chime that would go off when you take your key out the ignition. That would be absolutely brilliant!

I think it is a good idea as well, but does anyone else remember the case of the dad whose car alarm DID go off repeatedly and he kept using the key remote to turn it off instead of actually looking in the car and finding his baby?

At some point all the technology in the world won't save us from being too focused on other things and not paying enough attention to our kids.

I think it is a good idea as well, but does anyone else remember the case of the dad whose car alarm DID go off repeatedly and he kept using the key remote to turn it off instead of actually looking in the car and finding his baby?

At some point all the technology in the world won't save us from being too focused on other things and not paying enough attention to our kids.

I think it was a mother as well, she was an assistant principal who kept turning it of, but I think it was a dad who did it also.

I remember it very clearly. And I agree with you that technology will probably not help us on this front - whenever I hear a car alarm, my first though is not "Something's wrong around that car" but rather "Something must be wrong with that car's alarm system."

I think it was a mother as well, she was an assistant principal who kept turning it of, but I think it was a dad who did it also.

Yes - there was one involving a father of four. That one crushed me.

The one involving the Mother teacher/principal was not as clear - IIRC, she did keep turning off her alarm but she also returned to the vehicle several times that day. It was a confusing case.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back