Texas School District Will Let Teachers Carry Guns

White Rain

Reaction score
A tiny Texas school district may be the first in the nation to pass a law specifically allowing teachers and staff to pack heat when classes begin later this month.
Trustees at the Harrold Independent School District approved a district policy change last October so employees can carry concealed firearms to deter and protect against school shootings, provided the gun-toting teachers follow certain requirements.
Superintendent David Thweatt told FOXNews.com the policy was initiated because of safety concerns.
"We have had employees assaulted before by people in the last several years," Thweatt said. "I think that safety is big concern. We are seeing a lot of anger in society."
He wouldn't comment further on the nature of the assaults.
The Texas superintendent linked gun-free zones with the uprising of school shootings in recent years.
"When you make schools gun-free zones, it's like inviting people to come in and take advantage," Thweatt told FOXNews.com.
more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,404721,00.html

YIKES!!!
I am a teacher; I have a gun; I go to school; my gun stays at home!!!
I have known WAY too many teachers w/ anger issues and testosterone levels BEYOND normal to ever get behind giving teachers guns! This is NUTS! (One of the teachers whom I deem crazy came after me twice because he thought I said something about him behind his back! I hadn't. He not only had anger issues, but he was also taking steroids. Everybody knew it but could do nothing about it. IF he were given permission to carry a gun, he would.)

If I had a child going to that school they would immediately be removed and we would find another school...that is the stupidest craziest thing I have ever heard!!!

I support this.

Psychological exams, substance abuse testing, monitoring if they want to carry, but this is why I haven't gone into teaching...I don't feel safe...and I'm not going to be a vulnerable, sitting duck with some out-of-control-student that loses it (or whoever the threat is). A lot of other potential teachers feel this way (at least here).

I would want to be able to protect the children in my care (and myself!) if I were a teacher...wouldn't be afraid to shoot if someone was endangering their lives or mine.

I support this.

Psychological exams, substance abuse testing, monitoring if they want to carry, but this is why I haven't gone into teaching...I don't feel safe...and I'm not going to be a vulnerable, sitting duck with some out-of-control-student that loses it (or whoever the threat is). A lot of other potential teachers feel this way (at least here).

I would want to be able to protect the children in my care (and myself!) if I were a teacher...wouldn't be afraid to shoot if someone was endangering their lives or mine.

I appreciate you Truthful because you don't do something that makes you feel unsafe. Teachers who feel unsafe in schools shouldn't be teaching.

I appreciate you Truthful because you don't do something that makes you feel unsafe. Teachers who feel unsafe in schools shouldn't be teaching.

I know many teachers personally that feel very unsafe. (at least among my teacher friends).

I'm not sure of your meaning with your reply, however. Sounds a bit snarky. I'll leave it at that.

In my opinion, if a teacher DOES feel utterly safe, they live under a rock or on another planet.

Not having teachers that are the best (academically) contributes to the declining quality of our schools...but generally, these people aren't willing to be paid next to nothing AND be in danger. At least they could take out the unsafe part of the bit.

It is my opinion the teachers/professors ought to be the "best of the best" - academically and within their field, even K-12. It's lovely that some "love kids" or can't think of anything to do after graduation, but few are of the academic caliber our kids deserve. Not being able to protect one's self has a lot to do with this (besides the obvious compensation issues). JMHO.

I know many teachers personally that feel very unsafe. (at least among my teacher friends).

I'm not sure of your meaning with your reply, however. Sounds a bit snarky. I'll leave it at that.

In my opinion, if a teacher DOES feel utterly safe, they live under a rock or on another planet.

Not having teachers that are the best (academically) contributes to the declining quality of our schools...but generally, these people aren't willing to be paid next to nothing AND be in danger. At least they could take out the unsafe part of the bit.

It is my opinion the teachers/professors ought to be the "best of the best" - academically and within their field, even K-12. It's lovely that some "love kids" or can't think of anything to do after graduation, but few are of the academic caliber our kids deserve. Not being able to protect one's self has a lot to do with this (besides the obvious compensation issues). JMHO.

I wasn't trying to be snarky - just stating my opinion. I feel completely and utterly safe in this world. That doesn't mean I am not aware that dangers exist - just that I am unable to live in fear of them. What's the point - life on planet earth is inherently risky. If I were afraid of a place or profession, I surely wouldn't go there or do it because I wouldn't want to be gripped by fear or teach fear to others.

I have limitless respect and admiration for teachers. I think they should make 6+ figure incomes and be lauded by every strata of society. Maybe one day we will put our money where our mouth is and actually give more than lip service to the "desire" to have the best of the best teach the next generation.

That said, teachers who are afraid to go into a school without being armed with a gun should teach somewhere else or explore a different way to serve, IMHO.

How sad is this? If the teachers are afraid how do many of the students feel?

Back when I was in school we got kicked out/suspended and there was no BS about it. If we got in trouble in school we got into MORE trouble when the parents found out. We hoped like he!! the principal didn't call our house for skipping school because there would be consequences. Part of the problem is that there are no consequences because most families now are both parents working so less time... blended families... loss of community and familial support systems. Sad... very very sad.

YIKES!!!
I am a teacher; I have a gun; I go to school; my gun stays at home!!!
I have known WAY too many teachers w/ anger issues and testosterone levels BEYOND normal to ever get behind giving teachers guns! This is NUTS! (One of the teachers whom I deem crazy came after me twice because he thought I said something about him behind his back! I hadn't. He not only had anger issues, but he was also taking steroids. Everybody knew it but could do nothing about it. IF he were given permission to carry a gun, he would.)

Very scary Pandora! What happened in the end?

Very scary Pandora! What happened in the end?

Nothing. I was told by administration that they were aware of the problem and that I needed to "steer clear" of him due to his anger issues. Unfortunately, both times he came at me I was in MY room. Once it was in front of a class. I had a couple of football players who were about to get up to show him the door but he left shouting all the way!
Um, by the way, based on some of your previous posts, he is in your neck of the woods. Don't move too much farther northeast in GA or your kids might be in his classroom--yup--he's still teaching!

Nothing. I was told by administration that they were aware of the problem and that I needed to "steer clear" of him due to his anger issues. Unfortunately, both times he came at me I was in MY room. Once it was in front of a class. I had a couple of football players who were about to get up to show him the door but he left shouting all the way!
Um, by the way, based on some of your previous posts, he is in your neck of the woods. Don't move too much farther northeast in GA or your kids might be in his classroom--yup--he's still teaching!

Jeez...unbelievable that the school would not protect you from that kind of harrasment, which is how I see it.
Can you PM me (no need to give teachers name) but tell me the county?

If I had a child going to that school they would immediately be removed and we would find another school...that is the stupidest craziest thing I have ever heard!!!

I completely agree. I have several teacher friends and they all think this is the dumbest idea they've ever heard.

I completely agree. I have several teacher friends and they all think this is the dumbest idea they've ever heard.

Yeah - every time this idea comes up, it seems to me that the majority of folks think it's nuts. I understand that there are problems with violence in some of our schools but this is just not the way to deal with it.

Jeez...unbelievable that the school would not protect you from that kind of harrasment, which is how I see it.
Can you PM me (no need to give teachers name) but tell me the county?

PM sent. :) Keep those kiddos safe!

I support this too and I have law enforcement in the family. The Police will only be there in the aftermath. It's up to citizens to protect themselves now and to protect the kids in school.

How sad is this? If the teachers are afraid how do many of the students feel?

Back when I was in school we got kicked out/suspended and there was no BS about it. If we got in trouble in school we got into MORE trouble when the parents found out. We hoped like he!! the principal didn't call our house for skipping school because there would be consequences. Part of the problem is that there are no consequences because most families now are both parents working so less time... blended families... loss of community and familial support systems. Sad... very very sad.

I support the idea if the parents of the students are ok with it. This is a special circumstance at this school that is miles from law enforcement. That makes it different IMO.

I am glad that my daughter got out of teaching! I would love to see the "Board of Education" brought back into each and every room with the teacher being encouraged to use it when deemed necessary!!

I'm with Pandora...what makes a teacher LESS likely than someone else to SNAP at ANY time? A particular kid nags you every day, and one day you just decide you've had enough...pull your gun, blast the kid....Man I can only imagine what the fall-out from that would be!

I'm with Pandora...what makes a teacher LESS likely than someone else to SNAP at ANY time? A particular kid nags you every day, and one day you just decide you've had enough...pull your gun, blast the kid....Man I can only imagine what the fall-out from that would be!

Honestly? I don't think it would be a student. I think it would be another teacher or at worst, a parent.

I'm not sure I agree with this solution, but I think more attention ought to be paid to the problem.

If the district feels their teachers are at risk enough that they need to pack heat, the community needs to take a hard cold look at how they act towards the teachers.

Honestly? I don't think it would be a student. I think it would be another teacher or at worst, a parent.

I'm not sure I agree with this solution, but I think more attention ought to be paid to the problem.

If the district feels their teachers are at risk enough that they need to pack heat, the community needs to take a hard cold look at how they act towards the teachers.

With today's kids, yea I'd say teachers face ALOT of harm from a student/former student. Thats just MY opinion...With all the competition to get into college and stuff...scary world out there...
A parent or other teacher, yep, can easily see that, but also I can EASILY SEE a student....more so, IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back