967 users online (162 members and 805 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Parents Angry Over Disney Underwear With "Dive-In" Printed On Them

“High School Musical” underwear for young girls have sparked outrage — because they have the words “Dive in” on them.
    A British woman bought a packet of five pairs, with a “Disney-approved” design promoting the hit movie, for her seven-year-old granddaughter.
    “When she put them on, myself and my daughter thought, ‘Oh my goodness.’ It is inappropriate because it is sexually suggestive,” Sue Ralph, a 57-year-old civil servant, said. “You just never know who could see that and think it was a bit too enticing for a young child to be wearing.”
    more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,403745,00.html

It is cute movie and it special meaning for me and my daughter because we have known Vanessa since she was about five years old. She has worked very hard and her parents are very nice people who have never been stage parents.

For me, the bigger question is why is High School musical so aggressively market at the 7-12 year old child market? Why would a child want underwear with young adult actors on it??
    I know the movie is supposed to show that bratty girls lose, nice girls win and different kids have something to offer but it also set the idea that girls are not happy without a boy to attach themselves to and that a 17 year old boy is worthy of fighting for.

Quote Originally Posted by CASuzk View Post
    It is cute movie and it special meaning for me and my daughter because we have known Vanessa since she was about five years old. She has worked very hard and her parents are very nice people who have never been stage parents.

For me, the bigger question is why is High School musical so aggressively market at the 7-12 year old child market? Why would a child want underwear with young adult actors on it??
    I know the movie is supposed to show that bratty girls lose, nice girls win and different kids have something to offer but it also set the idea that girls are not happy without a boy to attach themselves to and that a 17 year old boy is worthy of fighting for.
    My daughters 9, and 11 love it...I wouldn't buy them underwear saying that though. Not that I expect anyone to see the underwear, but still...
    My oldest loved Hannah Montana until all the fuss about her started...now she has almost NO interest. I'm shocked (and proud)....The Jonas Brothers are her main love right now.

Quote Originally Posted by CASuzk View Post

I have a daughter right in the middle of that demographic, and I am happy to have her be a fan of such a good, wholesome movie, where the heroine is a smart girl, boys and girls interact with each other respectfully, and the most sexual activity is a single kiss at the end.

PS: I saw the underwear and don't really understand the outrage. If it were large print and splashed across the front or back of outerwear (e.g., shorts), I would have a big problem....Likewise, I can't stand the shorts/pants with "JUICY" across the butt, but my daughter won't be getting any of those.

Quote Originally Posted by twinkiesmom View Post
    I have a daughter right in the middle of that demographic, and I am happy to have her be a fan of such a good, wholesome movie, where the heroine is a smart girl, boys and girls interact with each other respectfully, and the most sexual activity is a single kiss at the end.

PS: I saw the underwear and don't really understand the outrage. If it were large print and splashed across the front or back of outerwear (e.g., shorts), I would have a big problem....Likewise, I can't stand the shorts/pants with "JUICY" across the butt, but my daughter won't be getting any of those.
    I have NOT seen the underwear, so I guess I can't really fuss, however any kind of kids undies that say "dive-in" raise a red flag for me. The sexual connotations out there are just too much for me to be comfy with....

Quote Originally Posted by White Rain View Post
    I have NOT seen the underwear, so I guess I can't really fuss, however any kind of kids undies that say "dive-in" raise a red flag for me. The sexual connotations out there are just too much for me to be comfy with....
    I agree with you White Rain. It just doesn't seem right at all.

Here's the underwear:
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle1556538.ece

I saw a suit like this yesterday on a 4-year-old girl:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-JUICY-COUTUR...3286.m20.l1116

Ugh, I am so over all the marketing to our children and parents buying into the marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by twinkiesmom View Post
    Here's the underwear:
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle1556538.ece

I saw a suit like this yesterday on a 4-year-old girl:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-JUICY-COUTUR...3286.m20.l1116
    That suit on a little girl is appalling. No one under 18 should be wearing that in my opinion.

Okay, you may not like my opinion on this. So, slap me.

It's underwear. Fer gawd sakes... Honestly, when I first read the topic and scoped it out, my first thought was, "WTH"? It's underwear and I for one never, ever thought more of the "dive in" than dive into the panties as a child. Suggestive? I don't think so. Frankly, I think some may need to get off the politcally correct train and take some things far less than seriously. You don't like it, don't buy it. Period.

Geesh... There are more important "battles" to fight than some goofy fruit of the looms with a stupid logo.

Just say'in. IMHO.
    "I went to the bank and asked to borrow a cup of money. They said, "What for?". I said, "I'm going to buy some sugar".

I think what upsets most is not that it's *this* pair of panties, but the whole marketing scheme that pushes the line of sexual suggestion to our girls from birth to death.

There is a cultural ideal that being attractive means you have to be sexy and sexy means overt sexual themes in visual or other means. Corset tops for 11 year olds, tight hipster pants for toddlers, halter tops for 3 month olds ect. Then they watch woman in dresses that barely cover their hoo has and only weigh enough to keep themselves upright and that feeds into it as well.

So it's much more far reaching than just a pair of panties.

I swear Disney is causing little girls' clothes to get smaller and smaller (and I don't mean age-wise).

What drove me nuts were the "Hannah Montana" bathing suits where the back sagged so far I swear if a child wore them their crack would show.

Thank god my daughter's into Jonas Brothers.. well.. I'll have to think about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vask View Post
    I swear Disney is causing little girls' clothes to get smaller and smaller (and I don't mean age-wise).
    I guess I question the entire idea that really young girls need two piece bathing suits PERIOD.

As for the Juicy on the butt thing: I am a huge fan of Juicy Couture, I own very many articles of clothing, handbags, and accessories. My 6 month old daughter owns a couple articles of Juicy Couture clothing as well. The word "Juicy" on the butt of their bathing suits and sweatpants has no meaning other than the name of the brand. If you notice, the pieces of their clothing that does state the name on it, will usually just say Juicy rather than the entire Juicy Couture. It's not meant to be taken as a sexual reference, it just happens to be the brand name.

Back on topic, isn't there any other phrase they could have chosen in place of "Dive In"? Why on earth would they pick that one for clothing? Jeez.

Quote Originally Posted by OrdinaryLife View Post
    Okay, you may not like my opinion on this. So, slap me.

It's underwear. Fer gawd sakes... Honestly, when I first read the topic and scoped it out, my first thought was, "WTH"? It's underwear and I for one never, ever thought more of the "dive in" than dive into the panties as a child. Suggestive? I don't think so. Frankly, I think some may need to get off the politcally correct train and take some things far less than seriously. You don't like it, don't buy it. Period.

Geesh... There are more important "battles" to fight than some goofy fruit of the looms with a stupid logo.

Just say'in. IMHO.
    All I can say about this is I agree with you ordinarylife.
    Life is just too short to wake up with regrets.So love the people who treat you right and forget about the ones who don't. Believe that everything happens for a reason, If you get a chance:TAKE IT! If it changes your life: LET IT! Nobody said that it would be easy they just said that it would be worth it. The people you need in your life are the ones who have proved they need you in theirs. Love me or hate me, It won't make me of break me.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast