Darwin Award - Kite surfer during TS Fay

brad

The Prez - Arithmomaniac
Reaction score
http://www.wkrg.com/hurricane/article/kite_surfer_in_critical_condition/17035/

there's a Video at the link too.

FORT LAUDERDALE (CBS4) ― Emergency officials warned South Floridians to seek shelter during Tropical Storm Fay but a man in Fort Lauderdale seeking some thrills on the rough surf didn't heed that warning and ended up in the hospital after being hurt in an astonishing kite boarding accident that was caught on camera.

A CBS4 news crew was on Fort Lauderdale beach at A1A and east Las Olas Boulevard on Monday when a huge gust of wind from Fay blew down the beach and took 26-year-old Kevin Kearney by surprise.
(more at link)

They have been showing this video nonstop. I couldn't understand why he didn't let go but son is familiar with the kite-boarding rigs says there is a clip that would make that somewhat difficult.
Hurts every time I watch it.

I saw this, too... definitely looks like he came pretty darn close to garnering a Darwin nomination.

I can somewhat see surfing in high winds since the breakers are bigger than usual...but kite surfing???

I saw this yesterday and everytime I saw it, I felt the pain.

I am glad that he survived but it is unfortunate that he will probably pass those stupid genes on to a next generation

I saw this video this morning..several times. The guy who chose to do this was a total idiot. What the hell was he thinking???? What a dork.

He was an idiot and although I feel sorry for his pain, I admit that my first reaction was to laugh.

Another fine testimonial to the death of common sense. R.I.P. my dear friend Common Sense.

Does anyone know how this guy is doing?

Last I saw (http://www.wkrg.com/hurricane/article/kite_surfer_in_critical_condition/17035/) from 8/19 said he was in critical condition....nothing since (that I can find).

While I agree that doing risky things can be "stupid", this guy was down there with at least a dozen other kite surfers. This was not an unusual thing to do in wild weather. It could be compared to jumping out of a plane. The parachute (kite) might not function as planned. Something unexpected can happen.

The original article quotes the reporter: "WFOR photographer Yuseith Osorio believes the young man was blown away by a forming waterspout. "Basically, we were getting ready to go live and I saw something forming up in the sky. I told Pete, 'Hey, careful, something's forming."

A sudden waterspout is like a sudden tornado. I don't think we would blame Dorothy for her trip to OZ.

Imagine how his mom must feel, it brings tears to my eyes, I can't imagine her pain.

People do crazy, impulsive, daring things everyday. It is a human thing. I have a sad heart for Kevin and I pray he will recover completely from what I see as a freak accident.

Just my opinion....

I THOUGHT and I could be wrong, that I heard on Fox and Friends that they were going to be talking with him. I had to leave for work so I didn't have time to wait and see.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back