712 users online (105 members and 607 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 97 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Anthony's Computer Forensics

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...,4938442.story

Excerpt:

Detectives obtained some of Anthony's e-mails and found one that appeared to be from a worker at Universal Studios, where Anthony said she worked as an event planner. The supposed sender of the e-mail, about an upcoming Universal event, does not work for the company and the e-mail domain of the sender's address was invalid.

I wonder if LE is investigating the origin of this email to determine who might have sent it, if not a worker from Universal Studios? Obviously they know WHEN it was sent but as far as I know, that information hasn't been released publically. (If I'm wrong - please let me know because I would love to know the date of the email)

Also, given that Casey was apparently using a computer for social networking (Myspace) I would imagine LE would want to examine all computers she might have used or had access to (e.g. parents, brother, boyfriend, girlfriend, blackberry, etc.) to gleen information helpful to the investigation and timeline.

Good idea for a thread. Yes, I think LE would have to have ALL the myspace and facebook records, as well as those uncovered here by our sleuthers. (you're welcome, LE

They are not hard to obtain by LE.

I'm sure they've traced the fake Universal email as well. You can basically find out anything through tracing web and computer records. Probably the best evidence they have. I have no doubt that if they prosecute Casey those will be a major factor in the prosecution considering how many sites she posted to and the trail she left. She may not have left much of a trail elsewhere, but she sure did love the internet.
    No female, no matter how drunk, drugged, or provocatively dressed they may be, deserves to be ogled, harrassed, raped, or murdered. So stop the ignorant insinuations.

Shouldn't be too hard to find the ISP of the email sender. Just hope we hear more about this because I do feel it's an important issue.

IIRC, emails found on Chandra Levy's computer was one of the reasons why the police searched the park where her body was ultimately found a year later by someone walking their dog.

There are many email anonymizers out there on the net - anyone can send someone an email anonymously by funneling it though the anonymizer ... the send can make it look like the email came from any given name/company, etc. that they choose...

Great thread. Have we heard anything about anything on Casey's computer in general?

Quote Originally Posted by imnotheonlyone View Post
    There are many email anonymizers out there on the net - anyone can send someone an email anonymously by funneling it though the anonymizer ... the send can make it look like the email came from any given name/company, etc. that they choose...
    It is extremely easy to spoof an email. Extremely easy. Right from your own mail program.
    Faxing death threats to a location near you!

Regarding the subscriber identity module (SIM) card that Casey mentions in the interview with her brother -- there are ways to recover deleted data and text messages from celluar phones. SIM RECOVERY PRO is one way I have heard of. I need to research what exactly the nature of their conversation was about the SIM card and why they were even talking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DAWN TREADER View Post
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...,4938442.story

Excerpt:

Detectives obtained some of Anthony's e-mails and found one that appeared to be from a worker at Universal Studios, where Anthony said she worked as an event planner. The supposed sender of the e-mail, about an upcoming Universal event, does not work for the company and the e-mail domain of the sender's address was invalid.

I wonder if LE is investigating the origin of this email to determine who might have sent it, if not a worker from Universal Studios? Obviously they know WHEN it was sent but as far as I know, that information hasn't been released publically. (If I'm wrong - please let me know because I would love to know the date of the email)

Also, given that Casey was apparently using a computer for social networking (Myspace) I would imagine LE would want to examine all computers she might have used or had access to (e.g. parents, brother, boyfriend, girlfriend, blackberry, etc.) to gleen information helpful to the investigation and timeline.
    I would bet a dime to a donut that any site she has used and registered with has been subpoenaed for all of their log files, accounts, anything pertaining to
    Casey, Caylee, her family, et al. If the hosting company is on the ball, they will have kept logs for months, if not a year.

Quote Originally Posted by technicalconfusion View Post
    It is extremely easy to spoof an email. Extremely easy. Right from your own mail program.
    True, but that is beyond the capabilities of most end-users, at best most could spoof on parts of the headers. Annonymus service is a better bet.

Quote Originally Posted by DAWN TREADER View Post
    Regarding the subscriber identity module (SIM) card that Casey mentions in the interview with her brother -- there are ways to recover deleted data and text messages from celluar phones. SIM RECOVERY PRO is one way I have heard of. I need to research what exactly the nature of their conversation was about the SIM card and why they were even talking about it.
    IIRC, Casey said she switched the SIM between her two cells.

Quote Originally Posted by imnotheonlyone View Post
    Yes, good point. But even a proxy server can be subpoened.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoHead View Post
    True, but that is beyond the capabilities of most end-users, at best most could spoof on parts of the headers. Annonymus service is a better bet.
    Not really. Ok, someone who has issues turning on their computer might have a problem, but anyone who can setup their email in outlook or thunderbird can in fact do it.

Quote Originally Posted by technicalconfusion View Post
    Not really. Ok, someone who has issues turning on their computer might have a problem, but anyone who can setup their email in outlook or thunderbird can in fact do it.
    But would the average user either know that, know where to read up how to do it? Not arguing the point, just too jaded with years of tech support to believe that would be as likely as using a web service to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoHead View Post
    But would the average user either know that, know where to read up how to do it? Not arguing the point, just too jaded with years of tech support to believe that would be as likely as using a web service to do it.
    If they knew what to search for. I know where you're coming from, re the tech support.

Page 1 of 97 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast