West nile virus

Yes, it is not the first in the nation. We've had three cases here in the county in last 3 months.

Glad I don't live there!

This is southern CA, with a lot of once really nice homes with pools are now in foreclosure and it can be weeks before anyone from the banks comes to check on the homes. Vector control has taken to flying over in a helicopter to spot swimming pools that are now green and full of mosquitoes. They mark the pools and send in techs with buckets of larva eating fish.

No one has died here yet of West Nile.

This is southern CA, with a lot of once really nice homes with pools are now in foreclosure and it can be weeks before anyone from the banks comes to check on the homes. Vector control has taken to flying over in a helicopter to spot swimming pools that are now green and full of mosquitoes. They mark the pools and send in techs with buckets of larva eating fish.

No one has died here yet of West Nile.

:eek: And here I thought it's be GREAT to own a swimming pool...

:eek: And here I thought it's be GREAT to own a swimming pool...

It's great to have a pool but not if you lose you home and leave it behind. The pools I'm talking about have gone green with algae.
A clean pool won't get mosquitoes.

It's great to have a pool but not if you lose you home and leave it behind. The pools I'm talking about have gone green with algae.
A clean pool won't get mosquitoes.
I was wondering...my dad has an in-ground pool...they keep it scrupously (sp) clean...meanwhile hubby and I don't have a pool...but we do have a stream back behind our house and a TON of weeds/kudzu (common in the south)...we can go out on the porch and be bitten to death...really makes one think....

We are near the beach but we have a lagoon just south of us and some of that water has mosquitoes. We use wipe on repellent and I wear pants and long sleeves if we're outside at night.
It is a serious illness, it can become West Nile Encephalitis. A horse just west of us died a couple of years ago and this was first time I knew that it was close.
They did put three people in the hospital here the last couple of months but I've only heard of a few of cases and these people are supposed to recover.

About 20 miles east of us, a sweet 13 year old was infected and her recovery has not been easy. Lauren was left with a brain injury. You can read about Lauren here: http://www.loveulauren.com/

It's endemic here in Mississippi. There are even cases reported in February. Mosquitos here all year 'round.

The father of one of my friends died from WNV several years ago. He was elderly and had other health problems...still, it scares me silly. DEET is an outdoors southern person's best friend.

This has been a wonderful year in Colorado as far as west nile cases. I remember a couple of years ago we had many, many cases and it was reported on the news every night. The difference? No rain this year. It has been a extremely hot and dry summer and the little bits of standing water the mosquitos need have been non-existent. While I hate the heat of the day, I love to walk early in the morning. I used to be eaten alive if I didn't drench myself in repellant. I have only been bitten 2 or 3 times this year.

But, the bad news, we had 2 days of solid rain about 10 days ago....

I need to find that repellant....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back