1055 users online (271 members and 784 guests)  

Websleuths News

hipmamajen is offline I love the friends I have gathered together on this thin raft...

Neb. 'safe-haven' law allows abandonment of teens

I'm glad this wasn't around when *I* was a teen!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080822/...clX2bCYTSs0NUE

OMAHA, Neb. - Nebraska's new "safe-haven" law allowing parents to abandon unwanted children at hospitals with no questions asked is unique in a significant way: It goes beyond babies and potentially permits the abandonment of anyone under 19.
    Just thinkin' out loud....

I don't know, I guess...NO I KNOW I agree with the law...
    I don't care WHAT age a kid is...in my eyes it's much better to be abandoned than murdered...I've had similar experiences where my dad thought I was dating a person of a different race....1st he held a bent up pepsi can to my throat, then left me at a home for runaway/troubled kids...
    I'd MUCH rather have been abandoned there than out in the streets, etc...
    A kid could be dropped off/put off/abandoned on ANY corner....
    AT LEAST I HAD SOMEWHERE TO GO/Be Put, Thank You Lord!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't say it before, but I think ANY safe-haven place is better than none...no matter the age....
    I myself would feel HORRIBLE if I saw a 15, 16, 17, yr old STARVING...18-whatever-year-old yeah I would still feel guilty...but alot less so if it were a child.

Quote Originally Posted by hipmamajen View Post
    i'm glad this wasn't around when *i* was a teen!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080822/...clx2bcytss0nue

omaha, neb. - nebraska's new "safe-haven" law allowing parents to abandon unwanted children at hospitals with no questions asked is unique in a significant way: It goes beyond babies and potentially permits the abandonment of anyone under 19.
    holy smokes!

OneLostGrl is offline I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane
    hmm..

ill be watching this. i have always thought that the so-called safe haven laws were too narrow. 19 is a bit extreme, but still...

i dont know if my biological mother would have left me off somewhere (she got welfare for me) but i sure would have been better off. from the time i was 3 months old, my auntie and uncle were trying to get me away from her, but no go till i was 5 and they finally got enough proof to convince a judge.

if a parent cant handle a child, for whatever reason, i think it is in the 'best interest of the child' to have a chance. too many children are DYING at the hands of parents that cant deal with them.

OMAHA, Neb. - Nebraska's new "safe-haven" law allowing parents to abandon unwanted children at hospitals with no questions asked is unique in a significant way: It goes beyond babies and potentially permits the abandonment of anyone under 19.
    OMGoodness! Me too!!
    After daddy passed away, I was always threatened with Boarding School.
    Heck, all she would of had to do is take me a couple miles to the hospital and dump me. (heck, it might have been for the better....considering... )

Beautiful Rox.
    Sept. 18, 1997 - May 26 2012
    Rest peacefully my love I'll forever miss you.

I saw this article this morning. First I was surprised and dismayed but after thinking about it, its definitely better to drop off a child (but 19?!?) rather than abuse, abandonment or murder.

I couldn't be more FOR this....

I can see this opening the doors down the road for people who want older kids to adopt, but are afraid that the reason they are in the system is because they are molesting their siblings or whatever. If a parent can't care for an older kid and thus the kid is available - I AM IN LINE!

Uh, in line to adopt, not to give away my precious kid! :-)

FUN... is a renewable resource!