Resolved TX - Bexar County, WhtMale 43UMTX, 20-25, GSW, set on fire, Jul'87 - N/A

Sugie

Reaction score
I know this young man from Abilene was allegedly murdered there when he disappeared in 1981, however, I could not help but notice the similarities between him and the UID found in Bexar County 6 years later.
No body was ever found and the confession of the alleged killer was recanted....hmmmm Highly unlikely, but possible. What do you more experienced "sleuthers" think.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/43umtx.html
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/262dmtx.html

stats are great...the only thing that is getting me...could be TOTALLY WRONG...
Roney Harper placed a call to sheriff 's deputies in rural Walker County, Ga. Obviously drunk, the man confessed to murdering Goettsch in Abilene. His motive was that he thought Goettsch was an undercover narcotics agent. He said he shot he shot Goettsch four times, then kicked him repeatedly. He returned a remote, undeveloped field, the murder scene, but Harper either could not or would not locate the remains.
Roney Harper later recanted.

Any searches done? When/where/by whom?

Yeah, the "confession" bothers me too. Hard to believe someone would confess to something that bad and not be some truth to it. The info given doesn't really state whether Harper was ever brought to trial or what happened after he could not/would not locate the body. I too wonder if the Abilene LE conducted other searches or if they truly believed Harper's story at all. Do you think it's enough of a possibilty with the stats being close and the sketch looking similar to send them an email just to see if they think Goettsch might have not been murdered at that time or by some stroke of luck survived the attack. It doesn't say what damage the fire did to the body of the UID....possible any scars from an attack might have been destroyed. I really would hate to just write it off going on the assumption that the confession was true and in reality it was made up or at the least a drunken embellishment of a simple fight. Thoughts??

The NamUs link for this case is now inoperative.

https://identifyus.org/cases/4160

I am taking this to mean that he has been ID'd, so I will flag the thread "Identified", and move it to the Identified! Forum.

I don't get how he could be identified with no news coverage. I just googled it and I could not find this man anywhere except for here.

From Doe Network:
Unidentified Male
Date of Discovery: July 1, 1987
Location of Discovery: Bexar County, Texas
Estimated Date of Death: Same day as discovered
HOMICIDE

Lou Alan Goettsch
Missing since March 31, 1981 from Abilene, Taylor County, Texas.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Maybe I'm missing something. I have been a little off the last couple days on my posts but doesn't the UID say murdered same day as discovered, if it was Lou where was he for those six years?

NamUs page The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Thumbnail

#UP17201
Date Body Found July 1, 1987
ME/C Case Number 87-025171

Sex Male
Race/Ethnicity White/Caucasian
Estimated Age Group Adult - Pre 30
Estimated Age Range 20-25
Estimated Year of Death 1987
Estimated PMI Hours
Height 6' 0"(72 inches) , Estimated
Weight 160 lbs, Estimated

General Location -- San Antonio, Texas
County Bexar County

Circumstances of Recovery Found on July 1, 1987.

Inventory of Remains All parts recovered
Condition of Remains Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction

Physical Description
Hair Color Brown
Facial Hair Description mustache.
Left Eye Color Unknown
Right Eye Color Unknown

Scar/mark Two scars on right side of chin.

Clothing
LS GRY SHIRT 15 1/2 X 32-33, BLU MIS/SLACKS, BLK S0X, BLK CHANCELL0R SH0E W/DR SCH0LL INSERT R SH0E
White or gray long sleeved dress shirt, blue slacks, black socks, and black oxford shoes with a Dr. scholl pad inside the right shoe.
On the Body

Footwear
BLK S0X, BLK CHANCELL0R SH0E W/DR SCH0LL INSERT R SH0E
On the Body

Still listed as unidentified by Texas Department of Public Safety

unDetails

Really DPS. You don't know what county and city where he was found???:eek: Come on DPS....You can do better....
City Found: Unknown
County Found: Unknown
He may have been identified, but this is still there.

No address given where he was found. We don't know if he was found in the city of San Antonio or in Bexar County. Nothing in SAPD cold case files.

If he has been identified, this case was probably solved because I cannot find out anything about this case.
I wonder if he was ID'd a long time ago and this case was solved a long time ago???

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woohoo3
Back