Driver hits grizzly crossing Anchorage street

graybar hotel

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Driver hits grizzly crossing Anchorage street

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) -- One moment Howard Hawkins Jr. was driving to get an early morning cup of coffee and the next he hit a large grizzly bear running at a full gallop across one of Anchorage's busiest streets.

"It is just unreal," Hawkins said Friday, less than 12 hours after his 2002 Land Rover struck the bear. "I didn't have time to react. I wasn't even able to hit my brakes or anything. What stopped the forward motion of the car is that I ran into a big bear."

Hawkins, 57, plowed into the bear shortly before 4 a.m. in what is the latest in a summer of close encounters between human and bruin in Alaska's largest city.
Read on: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BEAR_KILLED?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

I wish there was some way they could have tranquilized the bear and repaired his broken leg. I guess that's not possible when they're wild.

I agree, poor bear.

I agree, poor bear. I can't believe the driver got out of his car! :chicken:

I just had a black bear dart across the road about 10 feet in front of my car on the way into work last night! If I was going any faster we'd both have been toast. I tell you what, bear and deer are bad enough, but if you hit a moose at high speed you hardly stand a chance.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MalloryK
Back