Girl rescued after being trapped in submerged car - Kenosha County, WI

coltsgal

#1 Colts Fan
Reaction score
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-kenosha-girl-rescued-24aug24,0,1876716.story?track=rss

A firefighter helped rescue a 5-year-old girl trapped in a car that landed in a Kenosha County lake Friday night, police said.

The girl was riding on County Highway C just over the Wisconsin border shortly after 9 p.m. when the driver swerved to avoid something, said the Kenosha County Sheriff's Department. The car rolled over and landed in about 4 feet of water in Camp Lake near Salem, police said.

The girl's mother, Nicole Scheroder, 26, and the driver, Ronald Reilly, 29, escaped, but the girl was submerged underwater, police said.

After five to 10 minutes, Reilly, a passing motorist and a firefighter from nearby Trevor freed the girl.

A helicopter transported her to a hospital and her condition is unknown, sheriff's police said.

I dont know about you mothers out there, but if that were me, I woudln't have gotten out of the car without my child....even if it meant I would die.

Me either!!!! Nor does four feet seem like so much water that I wouldn't be able to get my child out; it didn't take long for the rescue workers to do so; why wasn't the mom trying? Something is off with this one.

I dont know about you mothers out there, but if that were me, I woudln't have gotten out of the car without my child....even if it meant I would die.

That was exactly what I was thinking. No way in hell would I leave my daughter trapped while I get out safely, its really selfish. Not to mention there were 2 adults at least one could have tried to save her. Im glad she is okay but its gonna be a little messed up when she grows up and realizes her mother left her behind.

I second the other posts, there is no way in heck I would leave my child to drown while I got out safely, especially in only 4 feet of water. If I were LE, that would make me suspicious.

I don't understand either. I would drown with my child but never leave her alone like that.

The mom herself posted comments on the article linked in the first post. She says the man with her is the child's father, he got out first, she tried to get the child but he pulled her out by her leg and told her to run back to the road for help. He stayed with the upside down car, trying to rescue the girl, a passer-by stopped, and together they got her out.

Mom voluntarily took a breath and blood test, no drugs or alcohol involved.

Susan

I don't think we can say for sure what we would do until we are in that situation. My first thought is I wouldn't leave my child, but if I thought their chance of surviving was greater if I got help, I might rethink that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soababiotiling
Back