KS - Raylynn & Kyler Gardner, both 3, die in hot car, Topeka, 24 Aug 2008

I'm not sure why, but my hinky meter is going off, loudly.

The children were last seen at 1:00 p.m. Mom called authorities at 1:40 p.m. Kids were found at 3:somthing. 77 degrees outside. Deputy said it was "very hot" inside the car.

Everything sounds as if the mother acted appropriately but something seems off here. If you notice the 3-yr olds missing at 1:00 would you wait 40 minutes to call police? I think you might if others are helping you search? When it is 77 degrees outside, would a child die in a car in a matter of 2 to 2.5 hours? Maybe if the 77 degrees was due to wind and the sun remained steady and hot.

The car was unlocked. Could a three year old open the door? I think yes! Maybe this is what is bugging me. Most three years can undo their seatbelts and open the car door, if it is not locked. Why didn't these babies get out when it was uncomfortable? It says the little girl died at the scene and the boy was taken to the hospital and pronounced dead there.

Would the heat overcome them so fast they wouldn't think to open the door and get out?

Prayers to these babies and those who love them,

Salem

The children were last seen at 1:00 p.m. Mom called authorities at 1:40 p.m. Kids were found at 3:somthing. 77 degrees outside. Deputy said it was "very hot" inside the car.

Everything sounds as if the mother acted appropriately but something seems off here. If you notice the 3-yr olds missing at 1:00 would you wait 40 minutes to call police? I think you might if others are helping you search? When it is 77 degrees outside, would a child die in a car in a matter of 2 to 2.5 hours? Maybe if the 77 degrees was due to wind and the sun remained steady and hot.

The car was unlocked. Could a three year old open the door? I think yes! Maybe this is what is bugging me. Most three years can undo their seatbelts and open the car door, if it is not locked. Why didn't these babies get out when it was uncomfortable? It says the little girl died at the scene and the boy was taken to the hospital and pronounced dead there.

Would the heat overcome them so fast they wouldn't think to open the door and get out?

Salem

Im with Salem, and you know, there are some days I hate coming on here because of stories like this- I would say in my mind, one in the front and one in back spells one DID get out of the car seat, and the door was locked. How do you lose your 3 year olds (both) in the driveway. Hinky on high on this one.

I think one natural reaction for a child in this situation is to fall asleep. On the other hand, a baby who went through this was described the other day in the news as having clenched hands, frothing mouth, and appearing to have experienced great distress.

I know those details are themselves distressing, but for informative value....

I'm so sick of this happening you guys....I can't even read these articles anymore! They all seem to say the same things....it just makes me so darn angry! :(

I totally agree with Texasgirl, these stories are getting old.

Salem

Maybe they had buckled themselves into their car seats. One time my two year old neice got into the car and buckled herself into her car seat. She couldn't unbuckle the car seat. Thank God, we found her in time. Until that time I had never thought about kids opening the car door and getting inside the car. After that time, I always keep my car doors locked.

I think what bothers me the most about these stories, is that there was a time, when something like this was considered a tragic accident, and there were not a lot of cases. But for the last few years, there have been dozens of cases every summer. I know that here in Texas, if you read the newspaper or watch the news, there is NO WAY to miss these stories.

So I guess what bothers me is that I feel like these kinds of deaths are way beyond the point of being just an accident anymore. How can parents see these stories every day, and not be aware of the danger?
While I feel horrible for any parent who simply had a lot on their mind, and forgot their child was still in the car, and has now lost their child over this, it's time for parents to start making some changes in how they go about their daily business. I don't care what it takes. MAKE A HABIT out of checking the car every time you get out of it. Do head counts, WHATEVER. This is a mistake that HAS TO stop being made.

When my son was 3 he took the keys that my BF had left near the diaper bag, ran out the front door, got into the car and put the correct key in the ignition. My friend was a school administrator and must have had 15 or more keys on the ring. He did this as we followed him out of the house.

Kids are quick. My heart goes out to this family and the LEO who had spent over 2 hours searching.

I'm curious if they'll find that the children were given any sedatives before being in the car.

It's being reported that this was not twins. The little girl was born September 2004 and the little boy in August 2005. Irish twins my mom calls them. How incredibly sad. However, I haven't seen the name of the children or the parents.:confused:

I think one natural reaction for a child in this situation is to fall asleep. On the other hand, a baby who went through this was described the other day in the news as having clenched hands, frothing mouth, and appearing to have experienced great distress.

I know those details are themselves distressing, but for informative value....

I read this article also and I think the information contributes to my distrusting what happened here. If the car was truely unlocked, the children would have opened the door when they became uncomfortable. Three year olds can open doors. They might not necessarily think "I have to get out of here" but they would be uncomfortabe enough to try to move away from the source or change their surroundings.

Salem

It's being reported that this was not twins. The little girl was born September 2004 and the little boy in August 2005. Irish twins my mom calls them. How incredibly sad. However, I haven't seen the name of the children or the parents.:confused:

If the little girl was born Sept 2004, then she is almost four years old. No way she couldn't have gotten out of that car had she wanted too. So.... why wouldn't she want to? That just raises my meter higher :confused:.

I'll be watching for updates on this one.

Filly - we have 2 of these cases going on. A 5 and 2 year old in Colorado and then these maybe 3-year old twins here in Kansas. Do you have a link for the article that talks about the child's birthday?

Thanks,

Salem

http://www.kansas.com/news/updates/story/505477.html

FYI, the discovered they were not twins.

A spokesman for the Shawnee County Sheriff's Department, Sgt. Jay Simecka, said officials initially thought the children were twins, but after checking birth records they discovered that the girl was born Sept. 29, 2004, and her brother Aug. 2, 2005. No other details were immediately available.

Very sad.

Could they have been hiding from their mom? If they did this for fun, it seems they would have come out when they became uncomfortable...unless they were hiding out of fear. Maybe they were supposed to be napping when Mom realized they were not in the house, then were afraid to come out.

This happened about the time of day when many young children usually nap. I guess they might have fallen asleep inside the van before it got very hot. I hope forensics does a thorough investigation of the vehicle.

Susan

Susan

If the little girl was born Sept 2004, then she is almost four years old. No way she couldn't have gotten out of that car had she wanted too. So.... why wouldn't she want to? That just raises my meter higher :confused:.

I'll be watching for updates on this one.

Filly - we have 2 of these cases going on. A 5 and 2 year old in Colorado and then these maybe 3-year old twins here in Kansas. Do you have a link for the article that talks about the child's birthday?

Thanks,

Salem

Sorry, Salem. Same as Christine posted is the article I saw it on.

I so don't want this to be that she left them there purposely or in some way (other than negligence) contributed to these babies' death.

I was thinking if the children fell asleep while she was driving, could she have decided to let them sleep a little before taking them out of the car. I know it sounds stupid but when my son was small he would fall asleep in the car. Sometimes driving around was all I could do to get him to sleep. Sometimes I would leave him in the car, in the carseat but it wasn't for long and it wasn't hot outside. Also, I was right there.

Another thing I thought of is maybe she thought they were asleep but they were unconsious (sp). When I was small there was a small leak in the muffler or something in my parent's car. There were three kids in the car and I, being the smallest, was the first to pass out. My parent didn't notice until all three of us were out.

I guess I'm making excuses, huh?

I can see the kids getting stuck in a car seat. My dd will be five in a week. Over the weekend, I told the kids to get in the car that we were going to the store. DH told the kids to get in the other car. So all the kids except for dd get out of my car and into dh's . She can't get out of the car seat that she buckled herself into. DH went to get her out but she was crying and scared after only a couple of minutes. So, it's possible. But if the kids were strapped into the car seat, it doesn't make sense.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back