1282 users online (249 members and 1033 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    DNA positively identifies 'Grateful Doe' as man missing from Myrtle Beach
    Posted: Dec 09, 2015 3:40 PM CST
    Updated: Dec 09, 2015 3:40 PM CST
    By WMBF News Staff

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – A man who was killed in a car crash in 1995 in Virginia has been positively identified as Jason Callahan, a man who was reported missing from Myrtle Beach 20 years ago. New DNA samples submitted this year confirmed the identity of “Grateful Doe,” months after efforts on social media led investigators to connect the two cases.

The Virginia Medical Examiner’s office and a representative for the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUS) confirmed that Callahan is “Grateful Doe,” a young man who died in a car accident in June 1995, but was not identifiable due to his extensive injures.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

‘Grateful Doe’ mystery solved; man ID’d in 20-year-old wreck
    Posted 7:38 pm, December 9, 2015, by Web Staff

Jason Patrick Callahan

On a Facebook page founded in 2012 dedicated to finding the identity of “Grateful Doe,” organizers posted the good news.

“Because of everyone here this man will finally make his way home!” the post reads.

“On another note I want this story to do so much more I really pray that this story gives an important lesson to reporting your missing loved ones or even trying to check up on them if you haven’t had contact in years.”
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Mystery car crash victim known only as Grateful Doe because of two Grateful Dead ticket stubs in his pocket is finally identified after 20 years by amateur internet sleuths

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3u2XVkGZx
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-accident.html

'Grateful Doe' Mystery Solved Thanks To Internet Sleuths
    David Lohr Senior Crime Reporter, The Huffington Post
    12/11/2015 09:16 am ET | Updated 2 hours ago

"When I saw the composite drawings, I felt sick to my stomach. My heart just froze,” Grateful Doe's sister said.

What a long, strange trip it's been.

For two decades, authorities sought to identify a young man known for many years only as "Grateful Doe."

[...]

That nickname stuck with him until this week, when DNA testing positively identified him as Jason Callahan.
    The man's half-sister, New Jersey resident Shannon Michelson, credits Internet sleuths and the media for making his identification possible.

"Those are the people that put this case in high gear," Michelson told The Huffington Post.

[...]

Tricia Griffith, owner of Websleuths.com, expressed her condolences to the family. She also said she is glad members of her website were able to help in the identification.

"It comes as no surprise that two true crime discussion forums were behind the identifying of Grateful Doe," Griffith told HuffPost. "Here's hoping law enforcement starts looking at our sites as a legitimate resource to help with everything they do."

Michelson is also grateful to the groups, but said the news is bittersweet. She's sad she never got to know her older brother and wishes their dad had known the truth before he died in 2009.

"I feel happy there is an answer and there is one less missing person case and one less unidentified body, but I feel bad I never got a chance to talk to him or know him," she said.

(much more at the link)
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Because of the nature of Callahan's death, a group of strangers had gathered online, through different websites and social forums, to attempt to solve the mystery of his identity.

http://www.people.com/article/gratef...20-years-later
    Websleuths now on Facebook

Welcome to all new members. Thank you for joining the conversation. Please take a moment to become familiar with the TOS and rules, etiquette and information.

mni wiconi - Lakota for Water is Life.

NY Times - ‘Grateful Doe’ Is Identified 20 Years After Road Trip Death By KATIE ROGERS DEC. 11, 2015

Jason’s name had been circulating among online communities of Deadheads, as well as among online sleuths.

The anonymous user greymetal began circulating the composite on Imgur a year ago and posted an update after someone provided photos of a former roommate and Grateful Dead fan named Jason who looked very similar to the composite.

The roommate didn’t know Jason’s last name, but the case was also helped along by people on Facebook, Reddit and Websleuths, a site dedicated to unsolved mysteries. A Grateful Doe Facebook page created in 2012 had drawn more than 13,000 followers who were interested in identifying the crash victim. On Reddit, more than 3,000 sleuths had joined a subReddit of the same name. Many users circulated sketches and composites of Grateful Doe within online Deadhead communities and local media outlets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2