LA LA - Vinton, Blk/Wht/Hisp/NtvFem 20-32, UP1868, in woods, turquoise bird ring, back probs, Dec'91

jodierenee

websleuth addict
Reaction score
theyaremissed.org
<modsnip - link no long valid>

Name:
LA - Jane Doe 0406
Classification:
Unidentified Investigative Case #:
91-057381 Dental Charts Available:
Y DNA Available:
Y Skeletal Remains (y/n):
Y Located Date:
1991-12-22 Date of Death From:
1991-12-17 Area Found:
Field 1/2 mile from I-10. Area Found:
Vinton, LA Approximate Age:
22-29 Gender:
Female Height:
62 to 66 inches Weight:
pounds Race:
Other Hair Color:
Undetermin Eye Color:
Undet Identifying Characteristics:
Victim had an extra vertebrae fused to the sacrum and may have displayed some evidence of back problems. Jewelry:
The following jewlery was located near the body. A silver ring with a depiction of a bird, turquoise inlay with red tail (size 5 3/8), a gold plated heart shaped dangle earring. Both pieces appear to be common jewelry worn by Native Americans or those living in the Southwest United States. Circumstances:
The subject was discovered by a passerby lying in a driveway leading to a field near Vinton, LA, approximately 1/2 mile from I-10 and 10 miles east of the Texas state line. Cause of death has been determined to be homicide from multiple gun shot wounds and subject had been deceased approximately two weeks prior to discovery.
Primary Investigating Agency
Investigative Agency:
Calcasieu Parish Sheriff's Office Phone:
(800) 259-3737 Extension:
3664 Website:
www.cpso.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran a screen for possibles to Vinton Jane Doe.

DoeNet Case 64UFLA: 64UFLA
NamUs UP Case 1868 The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
<modnsip - replace broken link>

I found a few that looked pretty good on vital stats and resemblance, but didn't seem plausible on circumstances.

Here's one that seems like a pretty good possible, despite a slightly long timeline.

Sandra Natalia Silverio
<modnsip - replace broken link>

2093158240045078242S600x600Q851_zpsa7bb7bd0.jpg
2926263320045078242S600x600Q851_zps86fcc178.jpg

Although she is listed as Hispanic. She has more of a Native American appearance, and therefore would be consistent to this Jane Doe.

She has a very similar facial shape to this version of the facial reconstruction (i.e., small chin, broad jawline, and broad cheekbones). However there are two versions for this Jane Doe and the other one depicts the woman's chin and jawlines very differently.

Her height is good, her weight is a little too high. Her age is above range (Jane Doe died around the time of Sandra's 36th birthday), but I know of at least one LSU Faces Lab case where they completely missed on the age estimate.

Jane Doe was thought to have come from Texas or the Southwest US

Her last contact was just prior to crossing the Rio Grande to enter the U.S. Perhaps she was held prisoner by a human smuggling ring

Carl, what do you think of this girl?
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2772dftx.html

She's a little short, but her facial features seem to fit the profile. Description said she had blonde highlights in her hair. I have a problem with that as med or dark brown hair usually turns blonde dye into shades of red in my experience.

Attachments

• LLBronaugh.jpg
    LLBronaugh.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 102
Carl, what do you think of this girl?
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2772dftx.html

She's a little short, but her facial features seem to fit the profile. Description said she had blonde highlights in her hair. I have a problem with that as med or dark brown hair usually turns blonde dye into shades of red in my experience.

Authorities are pretty sure that Lynda Bronaugh is a match to this jane doe.

299UFTX.jpg
attachment.php

http://doenetwork.org/cases/299uftx.html

This jane doe was wearing identical clothing to what Lynda was last seen in.

However, they have no dental records for her, and since she was adopted from the Phillipines, they are unable to find her biological family to get a DNA Family Reference sample.

here is a possible match for this UID, Maria Kimbrell missing from Huntsville, TX, June 1991. Maria was of Honduran ancestry and fair skinned Hispanic. Maria was 28 y.o., 5'6", 190 lbs with reddish brown hair. she had a rounder face like the UID.

I checked mapquest and the distance between Huntsville, TX and Vinton, LA is about 3 hours drive.

the biggest downside is that she disappeared in June 1991 and the body was found in Dec 1991, with an estimate post-mortem interval of 3 weeks.

Maria had a gold-filled window crown on tooth #7, but that tooth was missing post-mortem on the UID.

<modsnip - replace broken link>

Very similar facial shapes. Here's the side-by-side.

kimbrell_maria.jpg

Here's her Charley casefile:
Maria Socorro Kimbrell

The thing that bothers me is her weight. She is listed as 190 lbs, compared to the UID's petite 100-115 lbs.

Very similar facial shapes. Here's the side-by-side.

kimbrell_maria.jpg

Here's her Charley casefile:
Maria Socorro Kimbrell
Maria Socorro Kimbrell – The Charley Project

The thing that bothers me is her weight. She is listed as 190 lbs, compared to the UID's petite 100-115 lbs.

Namus did not list a weight so I'm not sure where Doe got that estimate. no mention of clothing sizes (or clothes at all for that matter).

Doe mentions possible back problems (more common in overweight people) and Doe mentions that given the location, the deceased may have been from TX.

ETA - the face on the UID does not strike me as being part of a petite woman, but I could be wrong.

here is someone with very good stats for this UID although there are no identifiers for her.

Kristen Smith, age 20, was last seen in Beaumont, TX on Sept 22, 1991. Beaumont, TX is on the Gulf Coast very near the Louisiana border. Kristen was supposedly 5'6" 140 lbs, brown hair.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/smith_kristen.html

Calcasieu Parish borders TX and it was noted the body was about 10 miles in from the TX border. body found on Dec 22, 1991 with an estimated date of death of three weeks prior.

both the UID and Kristen have what I would describe as very 80's hairstyles.

any thoughts?

Kristen's two front teeth seem distinctive enough that it seems it would deserve mention. But we all know that's not necessarily the case.

She does have a similar facial shape. Nothing else really jumps out at me as being her, but it's possible.

there is something else here that strikes me as unusual. Even though Kristen was just 20 years old, if my sleuthing is correct, that was not her maiden name.

a Kristen Lee M----- was born on August 26, 1971 in Smith County, TX. a woman by the name of Kristen L. M-----, age 19 married a man named Smith on May 8, 1991 in Orange County, TX. Orange County and Calcasieu Parish, LA are separated by the Sabine River so it is quite possible Kristen was living in the adjacent county from where the body was found.

I saw no reference as to who claimed to have last seen her in Beaumont in September and Namus, Charley and Doe are all silent on the fact she was married.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1187dftx.html
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/8669/5/

I have an eerie vibe on this one unlike any other I've commented on. other than the height, the UID is supposedly 5'4" and Kristen was from 5'6" to 5'9" there is just something about the circumstances that has me more than intrigued.

there is only a three month window between the supposed LKA date for Kristen and when the body was found which was estimated to be deceased for about three weeks. so we have an approximate 10 week gap in time and while I have no information on where Kristen actually resided after she got married in May the year she disappeared, the marriage took place in the TX County adjacent to the LA parish where the UID was found.

the UID has nucDNA on file and Kristen has none. if my sleuthing is correct, Kristen has a full blood brother and her mother is still alive. sad that no one has reached out to them over the years for a DNA sample.

I have a good handle on the mtDNA stuff but for a nucDNA match, who would be a better sample, the mother or the brother?

I have a good handle on the mtDNA stuff but for a nucDNA match, who would be a better sample, the mother or the brother?

Definitely the mother. Statistically, you can expect that about 50% of a son or daughter's nucDNA will match that of a parent, but only 25% of a person's DNA matches that of a sibling (assuming that they have the same two parents).

I wanted to submit this and found that the contact for the UID per Namus is the Cameron Parish Coroner's Office even though the body was found in Calcasieu Parish. I found email addresses for both sheriffs' departments and sent them both an email explaining the possible match and why I wrote to both.

I got a very nice email from the cold case investigator from Calcasieu Parish Sheriff's Office.

he asked if I had any information on whether Kristen's family had given a DNA sample and I said all profiles said it was not available. I advised him where I got names and gave him Kristen's mother and brother's names, the town where they live and told him they were on Facebook.

at least someone responded and he sounded interested in the lead.

I sent a follow up email on this case this morning to the cold case investigator in Calcasieu Parish.

Tammy Mahoney

Native Female
Date Of Birth: August 29, 1961
Age at Time of Disappearance: 19 years old.
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3"; 130 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Shoulder length brown hair; Green eyes. She has freckles. Pierced ears May bite nails they are short.
Clothing: Possibly wearing blue jeans or bib overalls, 29". Dark sweatshirt or large black top with white embroidery around the neck line and wrist. Dark colored or denim jacket. Bra size 36D. Possibly wearing white, low cut sneakers or clog/sandals, size 6.
Jewelry: Possibly worn at time of disappearance: Silver ring with green stone size 5-6; medallion with a guardian angel over a bridge with 2 children walking across bridge ( medal is very thin and the size of a dime) ; possibly a cross necklace (small cross with turquoise stones). It is not known if Tammy was wearing these items at the time of her disappearance however they were determined to be missing from her possessions.

Unidentified Female
Estimated age: 22 - 29 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'2 - 5'6"; 100 -115 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Possibly Native heritage. Medium-length reddish brown hair. She had an extra vertebra and there was some evidence of back problems.
Jewelry: A white metal ring, size 5 3/8, the face of the ring is a depiction of a bird, turquoise in color with a red tail worn on the little finger of the left hand. Some jewelry was found near the body and believed to be hers. A earring is gold plated. Both pieces appear to be similar to jewelry worn by the Native Americans or those in the Southwest United States.

Edit: Now that I read further Tammy was raped in 1981 and killed? How do they know that for sure??? I cannot find articles on this.

Attachments

• janedoe12324.png
    janedoe12324.png
    95.3 KB · Views: 81
for reasons uncertain, the Namus profile was last updated December 18, 2012. there are a total of 11 rule outs listed:

Elizabeth Campbell 1967 Texas
Sherry Daughtery 1963 Arizona
Brenda Green 1972 Alabama
Hazel Klug 1962 Virginia
Vicki Nisbett 1961 Texas
Amy Pagnac 1976 Minnesota
Jennifer Pentilla 1973 New Mexico
Mary "BoBo" Shinn 1953 Arkansas
Shelley Sikes 1966 Texas
Terry Slaugenhoupt 1962 Pennsylvania
Michelle Thomas 1967 Texas

Maybe I'll dig a bit more for contact info for Kristen's next of kin and email the investigator again.

for reasons uncertain, the Namus profile was last updated December 18, 2012. there are a total of 11 rule outs listed:

Elizabeth Campbell 1967 Texas
Sherry Daughtery 1963 Arizona
Brenda Green 1972 Alabama
Hazel Klug 1962 Virginia
Vicki Nisbett 1961 Texas
Amy Pagnac 1976 Minnesota
Jennifer Pentilla 1973 New Mexico
Mary "BoBo" Shinn 1953 Arkansas
Shelley Sikes 1966 Texas
Terry Slaugenhoupt 1962 Pennsylvania
Michelle Thomas 1967 Texas

I just checked her Namus page: https://identifyus.org/cases/1868

No new ruleouts since last year. Poor woman, I wish we could find who she is.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back