1117 users online (227 members and 890 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    10,875

    Docs Released Today - PDF Techie Help?

    I am sure that many of the Sleuthers here would like to index the .pdf files and be able to return to specific pages/lines in the docs, as I would for future fact-checking.

    For example, in the 3rd .pdf file, I would like to note that on page 35, lines 13-18, YM established with Ricardo that "Ricardo, Casey, Caylee and the stuffies including 'Mama' and 'Teddy', plus others," all shared the same bed during the 3-4/wk nightly sleep overs while Casey and Ricardo dated.

    I tried x-to-the-power-of-3 ways from Sunday, but I can't bookmark or comment within the downloaded document .pdf files in Adobe Acrobat Reader as 'comments' have been disabled in security.

    Is it possible for any of you Tech-Heads like TechnicalConfusion, McSev or others to re-save the PDF docs with a full version of Adobe Professional and enable the 'comments' in the security properties? I don't have access to a full version of Acrobat until the Boss is back on Wednesday, so I am not even sure if you can re-save .pdfs with changed security properties, or not.

    If you can, and if you wish to ftp them up once you enable comments, I'd be happy to provide an FTP site via PM for storage so we can work with copies of the docs that we can actually bookmark, review and comment upon.

    If it is possible, then perhaps we could post a link in the docs/media thread so that others can download .pdf copies of the docs that they can reference for specific facts/quotes.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by PotatoHead View Post
    I am sure that many of the Sleuthers here would like to index the .pdf files and be able to return to specific pages/lines in the docs, as I would for future fact-checking.

    For example, in the 3rd .pdf file, I would like to note that on page 35, lines 13-18, YM established with Ricardo that "Ricardo, Casey, Caylee and the stuffies including 'Mama' and 'Teddy', plus others," all shared the same bed during the 3-4/wk nightly sleep overs while Casey and Ricardo dated.

    I tried x-to-the-power-of-3 ways from Sunday, but I can't bookmark or comment within the downloaded document .pdf files in Adobe Acrobat Reader as 'comments' have been disabled in security.

    Is it possible for any of you Tech-Heads like TechnicalConfusion, McSev or others to re-save the PDF docs with a full version of Adobe Professional and enable the 'comments' in the security properties? I don't have access to a full version of Acrobat until the Boss is back on Wednesday, so I am not even sure if you can re-save .pdfs with changed security properties, or not.

    If you can, and if you wish to ftp them up once you enable comments, I'd be happy to provide an FTP site via PM for storage so we can work with copies of the docs that we can actually bookmark, review and comment upon.

    If it is possible, then perhaps we could post a link in the docs/media thread so that others can download .pdf copies of the docs that they can reference for specific facts/quotes.
    Aww did you call my name Tater Salad?

    Sure -I'll do these for you tomorrow if you can wait that long - have Adobe Pro on my work puter...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    16,427
    Quote Originally Posted by PotatoHead View Post
    I am sure that many of the Sleuthers here would like to index the .pdf files and be able to return to specific pages/lines in the docs, as I would for future fact-checking.

    For example, in the 3rd .pdf file, I would like to note that on page 35, lines 13-18, YM established with Ricardo that "Ricardo, Casey, Caylee and the stuffies including 'Mama' and 'Teddy', plus others," all shared the same bed during the 3-4/wk nightly sleep overs while Casey and Ricardo dated.

    I tried x-to-the-power-of-3 ways from Sunday, but I can't bookmark or comment within the downloaded document .pdf files in Adobe Acrobat Reader as 'comments' have been disabled in security.

    Is it possible for any of you Tech-Heads like TechnicalConfusion, McSev or others to re-save the PDF docs with a full version of Adobe Professional and enable the 'comments' in the security properties? I don't have access to a full version of Acrobat until the Boss is back on Wednesday, so I am not even sure if you can re-save .pdfs with changed security properties, or not.

    If you can, and if you wish to ftp them up once you enable comments, I'd be happy to provide an FTP site via PM for storage so we can work with copies of the docs that we can actually bookmark, review and comment upon.

    If it is possible, then perhaps we could post a link in the docs/media thread so that others can download .pdf copies of the docs that they can reference for specific facts/quotes.
    I was trying to do the same as you and just gave up. I see the problem will be resolved sometime tomorrow!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    10,875
    Quote Originally Posted by McSev View Post
    Aww did you call my name Tater Salad?

    Sure -I'll do these for you tomorrow if you can wait that long - have Adobe Pro on my work puter...
    Thanks, McSev!

    I had a hunch you would step up.

    Thank you in advance for offering to help. I am sure dozens of other Sleuthers are scribbling notes about page numbers and lines, as I am. PDF comments would be so much more useful.

    (Forget the 'Tater Salad' dig; this Spud done gone and got a bonafide (deserved) Time Out. Won't be doing that again. It was like having the keys to the Kingdom, without the SysOp login.)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,189
    Is it easier to save if the PDF is changed to an HTML? I once saved the btk trial documents that way, but don't remember how I did it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    795
    Quote Originally Posted by PotatoHead View Post
    Thanks, McSev!

    I had a hunch you would step up.

    Thank you in advance for offering to help. I am sure dozens of other Sleuthers are scribbling notes about page numbers and lines, as I am. PDF comments would be so much more useful.

    (Forget the 'Tater Salad' dig; this Spud done gone and got a bonafide (deserved) Time Out. Won't be doing that again. It was like having the keys to the Kingdom, without the SysOp login.)
    Roger that - I'll PM ya when they're ready and you can post them wherever you please.

    (Well Spud, I did mean it as a term of endearment, not an insult. Now I feel...horrible. I be sorry!)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    10,875
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty G View Post
    I was trying to do the same as you and just gave up. I see the problem will be resolved sometime tomorrow!
    Patty,

    I definitely had you in mind when making this request.

    As the resident, reliable and beloved, 'Librarian/Research Analyst,' I figured you were also trying to flag, index and bookmark specific quotes, lines and entries in the docs.

    I have an entire page of notes beside me, as I am sure you might have also? We really benefit from and rely upon your input, so I hope we can make this easier for you especially.

    I have trust that the 'Nerd Herd' can, and will, advise us here with tips on indexing the docs.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    10,875
    Quote Originally Posted by txsvicki View Post
    Is it easier to save if the PDF is changed to an HTML? I once saved the btk trial documents that way, but don't remember how I did it.
    There are infinite complexities with .PDF files, dependent upon how they were saved when initially scanned.

    For example, I tried to save each of the 'discovery' doc .pdf's as .txt (text) files, assuming that I'd be able to cite, highlight, bookmark and apply lines markers to each. it didn't work out so well, as most of these entires in the .pdfs have been saved as image files with strict security restrictions. So when you try to open them in a .txt (text) format, they appear to be empty.

    That's all just Techie schmooze --> I expect that a few of our resident Sleuthers will welcome this challenge and will do their best to guide us.

  9. #9
    thatswhatshesaid's Avatar
    thatswhatshesaid is offline Jacee Lee Dugard IS and HAS a Mother Of The Year.
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    336
    Quote Originally Posted by McSev View Post
    I'll do these for you tomorrow if you can wait that long - have Adobe Pro on my work puter...
    Thank you!!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    16,427
    Quote Originally Posted by PotatoHead View Post
    Patty,

    I definitely had you in mind when making this request.

    As the resident, reliable and beloved, 'Librarian/Research Analyst,' I figured you were also trying to flag, index and bookmark specific quotes, lines and entries in the docs.

    I have an entire page of notes beside me, as I am sure you might have also? We really benefit from and rely upon your input, so I hope we can make this easier for you especially.

    I have trust that the 'Nerd Herd' can, and will, advise us here with tips on indexing the docs.

    I was so frustrated, and you have it right, I have papers all over the place. I was about ready to go to Office Depot buy a bunch of ink cartridges, paper and highlighters.

    There is a trial version of the Abode Pro and I was thinking of downloading it and then I spotted YOUR post!

    I will patiently wait until tomorrow!


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    16,427
    Quote Originally Posted by McSev View Post
    Aww did you call my name Tater Salad?

    Sure -I'll do these for you tomorrow if you can wait that long - have Adobe Pro on my work puter...
    Thank you, thank you and thank you!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    10,875
    I have confidence that the resident Techies will assist with advice. I'm not even remotely sure that it is possible to fulfill our request to modify the security settings on the .pdfs, but I'm confident that the WS sleuthers can help us figure out some way to index them legally without breaking any copyright laws.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    10,875
    Bumpity Bump

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Azeroth
    Posts
    2,057
    I have one uploading now. Go to http://flawebhosting.net/pdf/
    It's not done uploading yet, , taking forever,but I was able to add a test comment.
    Faxing death threats to a location near you!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Azeroth
    Posts
    2,057
    One is done, the smaller one is going, should be finished rather quick, then the last one. I have to leave now.
    Faxing death threats to a location near you!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. 2009.12.09 discovery docs to be released today
    By momtective in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 253
    Last Post: 12-10-2009, 11:16 AM
  2. 2009.12.09 Will docs be released to the public today?
    By momtective in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 12-09-2009, 02:56 PM
  3. 08.17.2009 Docs. released
    By daisy7 in forum Byrd and Melanie Billings
    Replies: 198
    Last Post: 08-23-2009, 04:47 PM

Tags for this Thread